Hello Guest September 01, 2024, 04:02:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Faster boats  (Read 10370 times)

TerryRussell

Re: Faster boats
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 01:22:39 »

Yeah, I guess Developer Thrusting is now in the public domain. But I won't tell anyone if you don't. Perhaps you can patent the idea in the morning?

You could charge Microsoft a fortune then. But that would mean my shares would drop in value, so maybe that's not such a good idea!

My wife speaks about 14 languages that I know of. She could of course be speaking utter gibberish and I wouldn't know. But other people in those countries or regions seem to understand her. (Or they're saying "What did you say? I don't undertsand you.") She also plays guitar and harp and makes hand-crafted silver jewellery using a small forge. Somehow she doesn't fit the image that many people have of an American.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2008, 06:10:19 »

I think it's very unlikely your rank influences the speed of your boat.
For several months now I am the proud no.1 of the mission "rescue yachtsmen in trouble"(31),
and I am but a humble swab..   ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 18:41:44 by saltydog »

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 16:42:56 »

Again, there is no relation between rank and speed. And I know that. The game isn't programmed to connect speed to rank, and I'm 100% certain that that means that rank has no influence on the speed. There is not something like a 'hidden connection' we haven't found yet. It just doesn't exist.
Wout

RJK

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 03:08:15 »

I don't know what does it but tonight three of us were running harbor tugs and I was WOT but got passed on both sides by the other tugs.

Russ

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 13:34:33 »

maybe it depends on your version of SS2008?

Some people have remarked that ships were a bit quicker in v1.0, but when they installed patches (i.e. v1.1, v1.3 etc) they've noticed some ships are a bit slower.

Maybe one of them was playing a ship which is a v1.0, and other boat has the v1.3 patch installed?

Kev

p.s. sorry if this seem a rush job, I'm on my lunch break in work and it's almost over!  :(
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Kaj1

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 13:58:25 »

This might be possible, since Ship Dynamics could have been tweaked a little bit with every version ;) Shouldn't be all to drastic though.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 14:51:41 »

Maybe one of them was playing a ship which is a v1.0, and other boat has the v1.3 patch installed?

Hi Kev,

Since the topic starter aswell as RJK, talked about it happening in multiplayer, that would be impossible.  ;D

Regards,
Fred

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 16:42:28 »

Hi Kev,

Since the topic starter aswell as RJK, talked about it happening in multiplayer, that would be impossible.  ;D

Regards,
Fred

Of course, you’re right, Mad_Fred! How silly of me!  ::)

I guess that would only leave one thing – it’s down to the graphic settings.

One day I was playing a mission with high graphic settings. When I’d finished the mission, I decided to play the same mission again, this time with low graphic settings. Imagine my surprise when I managed to shave almost 1min 30 seconds off the first mission despite playing the same boat and taking almost identical route.  :o

Because of this I always play SS2008 in medium settings to ensure a good balance of graphic performance (admittedly my current gfx card isn’t that great, which why I’m eyeing up a 8800GT  ;D)

Possibly there was some lag involved when playing at high graphic settings?

Kev
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines