Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 20:06:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The M/S Queen Victoria  (Read 10807 times)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
The M/S Queen Victoria
« on: June 08, 2007, 08:01:25 »

Has anyone seen or heard much about the latest of the Cunard Queens - the new M/S Queen Victoria. She is nothing more than a modification of the Holland American Oosterdam class design - tailored to fit a variety of Cunard details, including the new trademark funnel, of course.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: The M/S Queen Victoria
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:14:42 »

I must admit, that's the first time I've seen it.

Is it me, or does she kinda look a little 'generic' ?

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:50 »

I must admit, that's the first time I've seen it.

Is it me, or does she kinda look a little 'generic' ?

Regards.

DJM.

For a Queen yes, she is very generic . . .  I am really disappointed.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:19:47 »

For a Queen yes, she is very generic . . .  I am really disappointed.

Indeed, seems kind of a let down to be honest.  Maybe I'm just being my usual fussy self, but I would have expected something extra special.....ah well  :-\

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:21:53 »

Indeed, seems kind of a let down to be honest.  Maybe I'm just being my usual fussy self, but I would have expected something extra special.....ah well  :-\

I would not mind if she was based on an existing design, however, I would expect a lot of touch ups and modifications to take her design to the next level . . . . Something that has become a signature of the Queens. It looks like Mickey Arrison of Carnival has trashed and torn down one of the last great sea going traditions in terms of liner design and prestige.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 10:24:36 »

I would not mind if she was based on an existing design, however, I would expect a lot of touch ups and modifications to take her design to the next level . . . . Something that has become a signature of the Queens. It looks like Mickey Arrison of Carnival has trashed and torn down one of the last great sea going traditions in terms of liner design and prestige.

Exactly, considering we are well into the first decade of the 21st Century.  Maybe we just get spoiled too often and we expect, or even demand greatness all the time ;)

Then again, maybe not :P

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:39:56 »

Exactly, considering we are well into the first decade of the 21st Century.  Maybe we just get spoiled too often and we expect, or even demand greatness all the time ;)

Then again, maybe not :P

I do not think so. Look at all the Queens of the past, all so different. Look at QM2s popularity rival, the Freedom class, they show such a huge difference in style. The possibilities are practically endless. I do not think we are spoiled, I think Mickey Arrison got lazy. They did not hire Steve Anderson to do the design work. I will admit, I am not the biggest QM2 fan, but he did do some very, very nice work. This ship is just an obvious spin on an already existing, which kind of kills the concepts of the Queens.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 10:41:48 »

I do not think so. Look at all the Queens of the past, all so different. Look at QM2s popularity rival, the Freedom class, they show such a huge difference in style. The possibilities are practically endless. I do not think we are spoiled, I think Mickey Arrison got lazy. They did not hire Steve Anderson to do the design work. I will admit, I am not the biggest QM2 fan, but he did do some very, very nice work. This ship is just an obvious spin on an already existing, which kind of kills the concepts of the Queens.

Hmm, very good point.  I never thought of it quite like that :)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 10:47:10 »

I feel that ship will not have the greatest future.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:36 »

I feel that ship will not have the greatest future.

You're probably right.  I guess it's a case of the usual, 'times change'....not always for the better if you ask me.  I reckon new designs, not re-works of older ones, are the way to go, but like I say....I'm very fussy ;)

Granted, if a design is popular, the old addage may apply, 'If it's not broken, why fix it', but who's to say really  :-\

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 21:57:36 »

You're probably right.  I guess it's a case of the usual, 'times change'....not always for the better if you ask me.  I reckon new designs, not re-works of older ones, are the way to go, but like I say....I'm very fussy ;)

Granted, if a design is popular, the old addage may apply, 'If it's not broken, why fix it', but who's to say really  :-\

Indeed, wonderful point. However, I feel the Queens are the exception to that rule. Sure, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary were obviously sisters, but they had a lot of differences between them. Tonnage, length, funnels, lack of forward well deck, etc. I think the Queens should always stand apart from the crowd. For every other ship, yes, I believe what you say is true.

ANd yes, some changes are not for the better . . . It has taken away some wonderful sea-fairing traditions.

I actually hope that Cunard learns a hard lesson from the 'Victoria. I am sure if they were not run by Carnival, what we are seeing would not be happening.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 22:13:30 »

I actually hope that Cunard learns a hard lesson from the 'Victoria. I am sure if they were not run by Carnival, what we are seeing would not be happening.

Very true :)

I think I should clarify something here.  I do prefer the classic ships/designs, but if it's new ships we're talking about, new designs are best.  As an example, if anyone were to try to remake a classic ship with todays engineering standards, in my opinion, that would be a sin and should be frowned upon (i'm frowning right now, just thinking of it :P).

New ships should be an innovation, something that makes you stand back and say, 'WOW, that looks fantastic!', similar to the effect Ship Sim had on me when I first saw it ;D

The Victoria just doesn't do that for me :(

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 22:21:40 »

Very true :)

I think I should clarify something here.  I do prefer the classic ships/designs, but if it's new ships we're talking about, new designs are best.  As an example, if anyone were to try to remake a classic ship with todays engineering standards, in my opinion, that would be a sin and should be frowned upon (i'm frowning right now, just thinking of it :P).

New ships should be an innovation, something that makes you stand back and say, 'WOW, that looks fantastic!', similar to the effect Ship Sim had on me when I first saw it ;D

The Victoria just doesn't do that for me :(

HA HA HA (to the first part).

Over all, bravo, well said. All ships, especially the Queens, regardless of how fussy we are, should make us say Wow!
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 22:25:16 »

All ships, especially the Queens, regardless of how fussy we are, should make us say Wow!

Absolutely ;D

Seems to me like innovation in recent years has declined, not just in shipping, but most other areas too  :-\

Except housing maybe, but new 'fancy' houses remind me of hospital waiting rooms ;)

that's another story though ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 22:28:28 »

But doesn't ship design go in distinct phases, just like cars.

ie in days gone by they all had long forecastle with the bridge set right back and raked in decks, each narrower to the top.

Then they became square boxes with a point on the front and big square sterns.

Have you noticed how many design similarities there are with P&Os old Canberra? The first to have lifeboats stored 'inboard' with a streamline design, shape of bow, transmission etc. You can trace a lot back to that ship.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 22:30:28 »

But doesn't ship design go in distinct phases, just like cars.

ie in days gone by they all had long forecastle with the bridge set right back and raked in decks, each narrower to the top.

Then they became square boxes with a point on the front and big square sterns.

Have you noticed how many design similarities there are with P&Os old Canberra? The first to have lifeboats stored 'inboard' with a streamline design, shape of bow, transmission etc. You can trace a lot back to that ship.

Stu

I guess so, but the phases seem to be rather slow to emerge.  Other areas of design seem to have 'spurts', or major leaps....not very often, but it does happen ;)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 22:30:38 »

Absolutely ;D

Seems to me like innovation in recent years has declined, not just in shipping, but most other areas too  :-\

Except housing maybe, but new 'fancy' houses remind me of hospital waiting rooms ;)

that's another story though ;D

You are very right. Even competing cruise lines have rooms that are an identical layout, just slightly modified furnishings with different colors fabric. It is ridiclous!

And regarding the houses, I will forward that do my father who is an architect and owns his own firm . . .  HA HA! Maybe he will see things the way we do, because I keep showing him some of my conceptual sketches and he thinks they are too this or that . . . HA HA!

The Queen Mary 2 was a bit of a radical shift. Only from the tip of the forecastle to just behind the bridge area of the super structure as well as just near the tip of the stern. Otherwise, she has the sides of a modern cruise liner . . . TISK TISK!

To me, a ship that is very radical in design, in most respects, are the Disney vessels. Two funnels, MASSIVE glassed bridge and observation deck, observation bulges with glass coverings, re-using the old fashioned livery style, making the second funnel a multi-floor functional centre . . . I love those ships. They are beautiful in evey way . . . Except the mouse. :D
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 22:32:10 »

I guess so, but the phases seem to be rather slow to emerge.  Other areas of design seem to have 'spurts', or major leaps....not very often, but it does happen ;)

I do see your point, gentlemen. There are design phases, certainly. Of course, I toss that up to evolution of both design and technology. And yes, these phases transend all ships of the period. However, there was always a few ships of the era that pushed the envelope of those design trends and those were usually the Queens, no?
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 22:33:26 »

And regarding the houses, I will forward that do my father who is an architect and owns his own firm . . .  HA HA! Maybe he will see things the way we do, because I keep showing him some of my conceptual sketches and he thinks they are too this or that . . . HA HA!

oops, there are times when I only open my mouth to change feet ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 22:38:43 »

However, there was always a few ships of the era that pushed the envelope of those design trends and those were usually the Queens, no?

Most definitely, I couldn't agree more with that :D

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 23:04:06 »

oops, there are times when I only open my mouth to change feet ;D

HA HA HA! It is alright, he got a good laugh out of it. I honestly think homes could be better. Of course, ships could be even more exciting though.

IF ANYONE FINDS MORE IMAGES OF THE VICTORIA, PLEASE POST THEM HERE! I only found one real photo and the stupid press image Cunard puts out . . . I would love to see more construction shots of her.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 23:09:22 »

Not sure if you've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gErcfPwt374

:D

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 23:10:50 »

No, watching now . . .
-Dave

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 23:15:59 »

Hrm . . . Great video. She is still far from being a Queen, although I do see some mods the the design. It looks like it was being film from one of the Carnival Valor class vessels.
-Dave

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 23:18:07 »

When I want info on something, I use Wikipedia ;)

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Queen_Victoria

I also found this site which has some internal pictures ;)

http://www.scotlandscruisecentre.co.uk/cruisev2_shipdetails.phtml?shipid=57&session=E21544F6-2743-400D-88E8-504AB1D34080

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines