Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 09:56:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 22432 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Windows 10
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:46:36 »

The release of Windows 10 is around July 29. Perhaps some of you have received a notification for a free upgrade.
I have accepted the offer, in the hope it will be more desktop-friendly than Windows 8.1..   :)

Here are some Q&A.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 16:00:08 by saltydog »

JamesS1941

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:09:49 »

Likewise Salty,I hope it also runs FSX as well.
Jim.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 15:22:04 »

Hello, I have Windows Technical Preview at home and I tested it with SSE and I have bad news - SSE crashes on start up :(
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:00:58 »

"The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs."  (from the Q&A shown above)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:35:33 by saltydog »

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 14:09:21 »

Correct but because of the Direct X upgrade it crashes Ship Sim :( I think this is it sadly for Ship Sim!
Captain Cadet

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 15:43:50 »

Correct but because of the Direct X upgrade it crashes Ship Sim :( I think this is it sadly for Ship Sim!

Is it not possible to install and run an earlier version of DirectX?  Does Shipsim not run with OpenGL?

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 00:41:22 »

I'll test it later as I didn't think of that... But this will mean it's awkward to sell as you have to set it down to a older version of windows - I'll get back to you on that!
Captain Cadet

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 03:41:19 »

I think I'll wait awhile before downloading Windows 10, and I'm quite happy with Windows 8.1
With a new OS there are bound to be problems, fixes and updates.
After all, the free download lasts a year, so no haste.. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 14:41:36 by saltydog »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 21:48:07 »

Hello, I have Windows Technical Preview at home and I tested it with SSE and I have bad news - SSE crashes on start up :(

Experiencing the same as well.. Same occurs for softwares using DirectX 9 or 11. Hopefully a fix or two will be nearby soon  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 21:50:11 by Captain Best »

Captain David

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:06 »

Can anybody advise if the free upgrade with Microsoft is going to be compatible with SSE ??- am hopping - recently bought 8.1 and have ablsolute success with the game.
Thoughts please
Captain David, Brisbane Australia

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 09:22:26 »

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 13:52:34 by saltydog »

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 20:27:47 »

You can also install Linux Mint and play SSE2010 under Wine with PlayOnLinux. See topic "ShipSim running in Linux with PlayonLinux frontend for Wine" at http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,30683.0.html. If Windows no longer supports SSE2010 or even SS08, Linux Mint with Wine and PlayOnLinux will come to the rescue.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 20:40:41 by MokMok »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 20:43:30 »

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet?   If so, what do you think about it?

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 21:12:30 »

Hi Salty,
My daughter upgraded to Windows 10 and says it is not as good as Windows 7. She showed me what it looks like and in the process of upgrading if you are not very careful, you can end up giving Microsoft full access to all your stuff on the computer. :o Because of this I am definitely staying safe with Windows 7. I like to decide what I want an outside entity to know about what I am doing!! :doh: ::)

Regards,
Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 14:46:23 »

I upgraded my desktop to windows 10 and I thought it was nice and morden but kept randomly freezing with me and crashed a few times and felt like it was a few months off being finished. I was looking at laptops for starting University with and I ended up buying a Mac as Windows 10 just annoyed me!
Personally I think Windows 10 is nearly there but it had annoyed me enough and a few months ago it annoyed me just that much more.
We use windows 10 in the labs and its still doesn't feel 100% but if you give it a month or two it probably be there at the rate they are improving it. (It might be there already as the labs used modified Windows 10)
Captain Cadet

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 04:05:57 »

Has anyone taken advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 yet?
I did so yesterday. No problems, and I like it so far.
Nice to have the old Start button back..;)

I understand your concerns about Windows 10 privacy Angus, there are many videos about it on YouTube..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:31:31 by saltydog »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:38 »

Hi Salty,
Thanks for the update on Windows 10. It seems as if you are well pleased with it so far. Do you find that any of the programmes you have installed are affected? I do not have many games on my computer, All three Ship Simulator Games, Sail Simulator 5 & Trainz 2004. Apart from that the publicity says everything I have installed will be still usable with Windows 10 :-\ :doh: It's just that at my age I am loath to make any big changes, which involve re-learning from zero. I suppose I'm just being a little chicken. ::)

Angus.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 11:47:26 »

Hi Angus, I find W10 very compatible with my computer and Ship Simulator.
 However, due to the video's I have watched, I have turned off many options in W10, though I'm afraid these are only  
   cosmetic changes and do not make much difference to any tracking or spying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczgCmoNSSE

Here is an instructive video if you want to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1, and want to avoid or delete some of those pesky updates.. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY79D0K7938

As you Angus, I am not so 'computer savvy' to understand all technical details of the videos shown.. :doh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:33:05 by saltydog »

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 15:17:24 »

About privacy Microsoft knows exactly how many photos have been viewed in Windows 10 and also to top that off, Windows 10 talks to about a million different URL's and IP's and it keep moving with every update...
Captain Cadet

ccr-lover

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 20:18:25 »

Why is it 100% free to upgrade? Almost nothing from Microsoft was ever for free. To me this sounds suspicious, meaning I will never upgrade to Win 10. Maybe time to move away from Win and start to use Linux full time?  ;)
--------------------------------------------
 \\\\ Creedence Clearwater Revival Lover  ////
  \\\\   Ships, boats, building models of   ////
   \\\\   them and good, old rock'n roll.  ////
    --------------------------------------

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 20:52:49 »

OSX is free and that doesnt spy on me... Though to be fair with the botched Windows 8, last year more devices ran a non-windows operating system for the first time since the 1990's... That was Android
Captain Cadet

cpartist265

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 16:37:37 »

I recommend staying with windows 7 or 8.1 as you don't need to change your windows operateing system you just need to update it now and then to keep it running.
I use a 1990s mother board that says it only operates with windows vista or xp yet its going great with win 7,
I also read in a post in here on one forum top that SSE & ship sim 2008 & New horizons don't work with win 7,
I am running all on win 7 no problems except server key problem of witch everyone is having due to a server shut down yet they give you a server update, whats the point if there's no server.

Just stick with whats working great now as they say (if its not broken why fix it).

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 23:18:53 »

There are certain people who need Windows 10 for array of reasons and using an old operating system isn't the best for security and features. I know Windows 7 has another 3 years of security support I dont recommend people to really downgrade a laptop as you dont get any support for new features and also if you have that computer longer than 3 years.

Also on old mother board. I know it may work well now, you may find upgrading your hardware that not everything works and you are at a great risk of things  going pop (head break down wear down of CMOS chips on the board). Also what CPU must you be using? As that must me one legacy of a socket
Captain Cadet

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 16:27:31 »

I finally decided it might be worth loading Windows 10 about a month ago. Silly me. :doh: Rather a half-hearted decision though. Sadly, the download failed, but my computer did not think it failed so it tried to install Windows 10. You can guess what happened!!!!!!!! Of course it was impossible to install, but my computer insisted in trying to do so. I ended up with a never ending instruction to re-start my computer, which just went on and on ad-infinitum. However my computer did revert to Windows 7, thank goodness. I will not repeat what I wanted to say to Microsoft, but after searching the internet I found that this problem was quite common, BUT nobody had found out how to solve it. Microsoft themselves are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, So I was stuck with the problem. A little window would appear onscreen giving me the option to be reminded in 10 minutes, one hour or four hours later or just to postpone the re-start. Once 29.7.16. had passed I gave up trying and approached a local computer repair expert, who turned out to be quite brilliant, even though it did take him four days to work out a solution. I was charged the sum of £50.00. which I reckon was very, very reasonable. As Far as I am concerned Windows 10 is a definite no,no. :thumbdown: :o >:(

Regards,
Angus

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 18:49:12 »

Look  on the bright side...
I have a few PCS that crash after 20 seconds from a windows 10 update and guess whats the best thing about it? They all deleted there last recovery point..
Captain Cadet
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines