Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 10:04:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: V-step Given op  (Read 16172 times)

Aidablu

• Forum member
V-step Given op
« on: March 11, 2014, 23:07:41 »

Hi all is it me or does it look like Vstep has given up on SS in general, they are very quiet, and that makes me think they stoped all to do with SS ???    is it just me or is it true?

Aida
HAHA LOOKING FOR MY USERNAME LOOK BELOW

francesco

• Forum member
Re: V-step Given op
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 23:18:45 »

Yes, i feel the same.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:52 »

I also think that Vstep has abandoned the whole ShipSim series.

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:57:44 »

maybe this is true but maybe it's not... V-STEP has done a marvelous job since the time it began and I (want to) believe that it continues to work with the updates of SSE  :)

Thanks a lot stormforce!

ci

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 17:55:32 »

maybe this is true but maybe it's not... V-STEP has done a marvelous job since the time it began and I (want to) believe that it continues to work with the updates of SSE  :)

I hope your right  GeoP17 but i have not got a lot of hope.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 19:28:15 »

Personally, I think Vstep have declared SSE to be a "dead" project. In other words, they've now stopped supporting it.
I know I've been pretty vocal about my feelings towards Vstep, but it really is a shame they've let something great slide into the abyss of Davy Jones locker. With a bit of enthusiasm from the developers, SSE could have been something great. Instead it's become a classic case of "how not to develop a simulator". Sad, really.

Interestingly though, a sub-forum appeared a few weeks ago called "Community development" (or something alone those lines). It disappeared after a few days... Could Vstep be thinking of letting the community develop addons and DLCs? ;D
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 22:32:44 »

Hi Danny,
The Community Development board is still with us. ::) You obviously didn't look far. There is a post from LucAtC which includes files to put bridge wing consoles on board "Red Eagle", together with instructions as to how to load them.

http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,30549.msg398140.html#msg398140

Angus.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:09:11 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 22:59:56 »

Hi Traddles,

I don't have sufficient privileges to access the board, or the topic you linked in your post. I presume this is because the board is off-limits to regular users.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 23:03:40 »

Hi Danny,
It is in the standard SSE part of the forum. I do not think this requires permission to access, but if so please accept my apologies.

Angus.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 23:06:35 »

Attached is how the forum currently appears "on my end" - I can't see any Community Development board :(

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 23:11:54 »

I see your point Danny. I have made enquiries about this as the Community Development section is meant to be accessible to players. My apologies about this as it is most annoying.

Angus.

tugspotter raymon

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 09:47:51 »

shame on you V-step!!!!
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB DDR5
4 MB Ram

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:27 »

Personally, I think Vstep have declared SSE to be a "dead" project. In other words, they've now stopped supporting it.
I know I've been pretty vocal about my feelings towards Vstep, but it really is a shame they've let something great slide into the abyss of Davy Jones locker. With a bit of enthusiasm from the developers, SSE could have been something great. Instead it's become a classic case of "how not to develop a simulator". Sad, really.

Sorry Danny but most of these statements are silly and a bit nonsensical...

First, support is not the same as development. As long as people are playing their game Vstep will offer support where they can. Even long after development stops. Vstep is still 'on the case'.

We all know this game has suffered from a bunch of deep rooted problems that simply cannot be corrected other than re-designing all of it. Which is unfortunately sometimes how it goes when a developer starts with a new product from scratch. The big names in the industry who have made their series or games a big succes have had the same issues back when they were just starting to create new things, and many of their older games would be far more fitting to your silly title 'classic case of how not to...'

SSE might lack a lot of content and features that people wanted, but that's got nothing to do with production value, that's personal preference and often the expectations where way too high and not realistic for a small developer to achieve without making the game much more expensive. The majority of worldwide SSE players play without problems even. Sure, MP is virtually non exsistant and that's a major problem in this day and age in my opinion, and the performance issues are a nuisance to say the least, but on the whole this game, even with it's issues, performs heaps better still, than so many other so called sims or games in general, out there, and so many older versions of sims that are now a big success. So it's by no means an example of how not to develop a game. And given how well Nautis is doing and that it's getting awards and certifications left and right and new customers all the time, in a market where it takes a heck of a lot more to be succesful and competitive compared to the gaming industry, well that goes to show Vstep isn't clueless about how to develop software, would you not say?

One 'budget sim' that sadly suffered from irreverisble teething problems is not a benchmark for these folks that have always worked very hard and with lots of dedicated and enthusiasm on this game. Sadly it didn't work out as we all had hoped, but let's not just make silly remarks about a lack of enthusiasm making it slide into an abyss... that's just really uninformed and doesn't show much insight in the reality of software development. I'd go one further, the attitude of a core group of this community might have actually ruined Vstep's own enthusiasm along the way. The constant nay-saying, the constant personal attacks on Vstep's personell, the constant whining and demanding of more and better things, but of course always with the similar demands for it to be free or cheap content.. If it had been me, I would have lost my drive too...

Sure there are many posts about people with issues that ARE of a real technical nature .. But Vstep knows all that, and they are not happy about that, of course. They would have seen it differently too, but it's not magic fairey land, the reality is that some things just cannot be fixed. But compared to the overal player base of this game, the ammount of people that come to Vstep with these issues, is not a huge number and certainly not if you compare it to many games by the huge developers and publishers that are out there, who do not care about the end user at all and who have virtually no decent support or fixes for their problems. just take a look at the BF4 forums over at DICE/EA, to name a popular game of the moment..  talk about a 'classic case of how not to develop a game'.. or more like 'a classic case of how developers and publishers abuse their fans'..   and that's like their 6th or 7th game with the SAME problems each and every time..  And that's a company with resources that simply dwarf Vstep. And yet Vstep has often gone the extra mile even when it was not profitable to do so, and a lot further than the big players in this field would go and have gone. Even if it didnt pan out as we all would have liked, and I do share a lot of these opinions about the missed opportunities and the sad loss of potential due to it, they deserve a little more respect on a personal level than a lot of people here are giving them. That's how I see it, and what I wanted to say for some perspective.

As for the community development thing, that'll become more clear soon enough.  ;)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 22:11:55 »

Agreed 100%. For what I am curious to know is why you are first putting shame to Vstep with saying that you think they have declared it dead, but you are all too curious to know what that development board is all about.
It is exactly what Fred mentioned. Even when you know there is a new board being set up, it's still not good enough. It is very easy to complain about everything. But a little bit of gratitude seems like a hard job. Especially without adding further constructive info. (looking at the comment before Fred's post)

bsm2003

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 03:24:35 »

I would like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed this sim. I have had minor tweaks that I have gotten used too. All in all. VSTEP has done a magnificent job. I personally believe that a lot of the problems people have experienced are due to hardware that doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I have had no problems with it personally. And I say a hearty well done to VSTEP for a great experience.

BSM
Never get caught with your head in the head.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 09:31:18 »

Agreed 100%. For what I am curious to know is why you are first putting shame to Vstep with saying that you think they have declared it dead, but you are all too curious to know what that development board is all about.
It is exactly what Fred mentioned. Even when you know there is a new board being set up, it's still not good enough. It is very easy to complain about everything. But a little bit of gratitude seems like a hard job. Especially without adding further constructive info. (looking at the comment before Fred's post)

Now SSE is running on my desktop it works fine but what I find confusing is why does it say that the latest news is from 2012 or early 2013? Surely that doesn't give much confidence?
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 11:25:40 »

Simple answer.. If there is nothing new going on, then there is no news..   ;)
The game is at the end of it's development life, that much should be clear by now. 

No major issues that are considered actual bugs or problems remain that actually can be fixed. Minor issues or things that could be fixed/changed/added but that are not considered to be real showstopping bugs or are merely things that people would want, but that do not directly affect the game's functionality, are just not economically feasible to fix, change or create.

So that pretty much is...it. Though there has been news more recently than you mentioned, because the inland DLC is from august or so, last year. Also at some points through 2013 there were things in the news and on the forums. The servers had been moved and upgraded so that they could offer better hosting and hopefully with it, better performance for the online players. Vstep has been throwing resources at it until pretty recently, even if people haven't been bombarded with news about it, of course.

Remember, this game is aleady 3.5 years old and it's not had the kind of run that it should have if it had all worked out perfectly. To still expect a lot from it, is wishful thinking.  ;)

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 14:36:57 »

So let me get this right?
SSE is at the end of its development for new content and has Finished stage 2 of support (developing new contents and removing bugs) but is at stage 3 where we VSTEP will fix bugs but there not much they can do.
So because of this it been made a little open source (meaning once you buy the game you can edit some of it). This means I guess we are not expecting a new SSE or a new consumer game from VSTEP?
If so it's a shame as it had  a lot of portental and fell on its but. But one think I can say to VSTEP is well dorm for trying to fix the game as much as possible and not dropping it like Microsoft or other companies would have done  :thumbs:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

ci

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 15:10:40 »

Thanks Fred for posting that. Now we all know where we stand and what`s not going to happen any more. Personalty i love playing this and find it relaxing and good fun in free roam putting Vermaas ,Ocean Prince and Oceana in places that there not made to go. The mission editor is also good for setting up four or five player ships at the same time in any environment you want to mess around in.
( DO NOT UPLOAD THEM )  All that said thanks Vstep.

Regards ci

Aidablu

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 20:19:02 »

So what i understand with this is, that vstep has given up ??? is that right !!!
HAHA LOOKING FOR MY USERNAME LOOK BELOW

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2014, 20:02:55 »

'Given up' would probably not be the right way to put it.

'Moved on', is more accurate, I would say.

mauler

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 23:08:59 »

I agree with Mad Fred, I'm not young and daft,but I like a good  sim.I do most Trains Busses an Planes and the service I get from the Mad fred and the Tech Guys is Great.   If anybody wants any better join the Navy!!!! TonyC.
TonyC AAman

K Jack

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 04:25:56 »

As of today, I'm still playing SSE regardless of whether VSTEP has stop supporting the game or not. I'm also a fan of simulators especially planes and ships. So i thank VSTEP for creating Ship Simulator.

Regards
K Jack
Captain Jack, explorer of seven seas.

Norrøna

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 23:08:09 »

Hey sailors
I have reed that vstep has finished the production of ship sim games because they will focus on the real ship simulator for schools
BUT if they can make those simulator then why can't they make a new SS for so that's more realistisc?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 23:21:24 »

They have already been working on such software for a long time. That is what they started as, and do most, serious simulations for use by educational institutes, rescue services, government services, armed forces, etc.

The game was always a sort of 'side project', so to speak.

The logical reason for not getting a new shipsim game, is that it's most likely just not profitable enough compared to their other projects, so they will not put their resources towards something that will end up making less profit than when they would focus the entire team on the rest.

And they can't just make a game for 40 euros or so that is as realistic as the real one that costs thousands of euros, obviously.

Regards,
Fred
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines