Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 22:24:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ocean Star" Controls.  (Read 16372 times)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
Re: "Ocean Star" Controls.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 14:33:25 »

Greetings Carl,
No you are not bad,because i sit in the same possision.I think this system works the same as a "Z Drive"schottel.
The props can turn,you dont have rudders.With that system you dont have a reverse,you only turn your props the other way around.
I find this a very nice challenge,and it's nice to have these features into the game.
Regards
Marc
N

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 14:37:21 »

I do like a challenge, but this one has me baffled.  I'm sure we will get used to it (those of us who know nothing about vessel propulsion) ;D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

lester

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 00:34:13 »

I have to admit seeing all these posts just further confirms suspicions that there is an error in ocean stars ship dynamics. Some of the ways the ship reacts to control inputs are odd such as:

- bow thruster seems a bit to powerful!?
 - when performing tight turns or rotation of the ship can spin very rapidly and suddenly (650 deg rotation       speed I found)

I have handled smaller passenger vessels with similar propulsion systems to that on Ocean Star and never found any as tricky, nor that can spin as fast. I dont find the controls a problem just the way the ship reacts to them.

Has anyone else found this?

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:23:15 »

I have to admit seeing all these posts just further confirms suspicions that there is an error in ocean stars ship dynamics. Some of the ways the ship reacts to control inputs are odd such as:

- bow thruster seems a bit to powerful!?
 - when performing tight turns or rotation of the ship can spin very rapidly and suddenly (650 deg rotation       speed I found)

I have handled smaller passenger vessels with similar propulsion systems to that on Ocean Star and never found any as tricky, nor that can spin as fast. I dont find the controls a problem just the way the ship reacts to them.

Has anyone else found this?
Greetings,
Yes,the bowtruster is a bit to strong.
If the game is going good,maybe a new patch can put it more realystic.It is quite hard to put dynamics of a vessel,close to the real vessel.
As we know Vstep,i'm sure this will be fixed in time.
Regards
Marc
N

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 08:42:42 »

I can inform you that the Ocean Star turning rate at zero speed when using the bowthrusters only is 30 degr/min. This is very realistic for a ship with that huge windarea. It might even be too low. Remember that wind and current doesn't yet affect the ships in SS, so you might achieve higher figures than you will see in the real life.

If the Ocean Star of yours spins 650 degr/min using bowthrusters only, it must be caused by a bug and not the bowthruster.

Regards
groennegaard

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 08:47:30 »

I can inform you that the Ocean Star turning rate at zero speed when using the bowthrusters only is 30 degr/min. This is very realistic for a ship with that huge windarea. It might even be too low. Remember that wind and current doesn't yet affect the ships in SS, so you might achieve higher figures than you will see in the real life.

If the Ocean Star of yours spins 650 degr/min using bowthrusters only, it must be caused by a bug and not the bowthruster.

Regards
groennegaard
Greetings,
I'll try that vessel again,this afthernoon(testing).Which i do for all the vessels in the free-roam mode.
Regards
Marc
N

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 09:20:10 »

I'll try that vessel again,this afthernoon(testing).Which i do for all the vessels in the free-roam mode.

Hi Marc :)

I have tested it already ;)

Max ROT:
Bowthrusters only: 30 degr/min
All means: 75 degr/min

I don't know how this 650 degr/min was achieved. ::) Very strange...  :-\

Regards
groennegaard

Swiglers

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 20:24:44 »

I don't think the new controls was any fun. I liked the controls it was on Addon 06. Why change? I now they want it to be more realistic offcourse, but it was nice like it was!

But yeah, now i just have to get use to it :P

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 20:48:30 »

Greetings Groennegaard,
I've been testing this Ocean Star.
I also agree with you,that the dynamics of this vessel are realy realystic.
I started my free-roam mission on the ocean,and went to San Francisco.
It went allright,however one of the AI vessels collided with me,and i started to sink.No problem sofar,because i was on a spot,where it was only 22 deep,so the vessel did not sank all the way.
The controles do realy good to.
This just to inform you.
Regards
Marc
N

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 15:07:31 »

I ran aground on my first try, in Phi-Phi.  You have to laugh though eh :D

I need some serious practice I think ::) ;D

I ran aground at hythe off southampton :( Confusing!

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 16:46:14 »

I ran aground at hythe off southampton :( Confusing!

Were you in the channel?  If you were outside of the channel then you would!!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 16:48:41 »

I was in the channel alright, But the pods confused me. I didn't know it was opposite directions! Went for a right ride. And now just sank her :(

m131167

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 23:00:45 »

Hello gents
There is indeed something spooky goingon with Ocean Star with the new podded drives (I assume it has podded drives). I have noticed the following:

- When you swivel both the pods to 90 deg (or 270) and apply full thrust you will only get something like 8 deg/sec rotation. When you compare with the thruster it yield a turnrate of approx 25 deg/sec. There has to be something wrong here becuase common logic would indicate that two pods (that provide main propulsion!) should yield a substantially higher turnrate than the truster.

- Also when the pods are at 90/270 pos you get a considerable forward thrust motion - again that cant be representative for a pod unit. Remember that all thrust is vectored sideways so no forward motion at all should be induced. The gauge say up to 4-5 knots but some of that can be sideways motion but a major part of the idicated speed is indeed true forward motion.

- Last thing is when you set full ahead (green area speed) and swivel the pod 180 degrees so that all thust is now directed backwards the ship turns as if a "rudder" is active.

To me (and now Im speculating) the logic behind Ocean star is still a rudder and screw simutation that has just been "overlaid" with a different steeringlogic through the "pod controllers".

BTW...The joysticks are really a delight to use. A very good implementation of the Man-mouse-machine-interface to controlling these pod controllers.

But all-in-all a very good initiative by Vstep...getting the addon out for SS08 and pls. dont take my critisim to deep...lol. But I would definatly recommend improving the podded drive simulation logic - resetting Ocean Star to the SS06 logic would be a step back...and I'm sure that Vstep eventually will get it right...they always come through in the end.

Best regards

Michael Christiansen, Karup - Denmark

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2007, 13:05:31 »

Hi Michael,

I agree to your observations. We try hard to improve the vessels dynamics and we can see a positive progress whilst on beta-testing. I really like the azimuth driven vessel and the original command levers too. But I think, they are a little bit to quick in reacting. That's why I often use for manoeuvring or berthing means the keyboard instead. Two neighbour keys each for turning the pod and a third for amidship and the numpad still for the thust. That works fine with such a lethargic vessel like the OCEAN STAR , but of course not with a not yet realized azimuth tractor tug.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

xcruiser

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2007, 21:05:21 »

It is also possible control the pods at the same time.
Instead of 1 for 1.

Regards,

Hendrik

shipkid77

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2007, 04:17:37 »

It's been a little while since I've been on the fourms :P Is the new Ocean Star that you are talking about on SS06 or SS08?

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2007, 14:45:29 »

@shipkid77: Both! She came with the Add-On for the SS06 and was renewald for SS08. You may use the same licence key, if you still have it.

@xcruiser: Of course is that possible, but it makes more sense and fun to steer the vessel realistic with independent controls.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

shipkid77

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2007, 15:59:21 »

Ah, thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines