Hello Guest April 16, 2024, 14:07:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Ocean Star" Controls.  (Read 16571 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
"Ocean Star" Controls.
« on: October 16, 2007, 15:10:44 »

Many will have noticed the new controls for "Ocean Star", but how to operate them?? :-\
I've been having a go and it seems the blue circle works the direction the engine is thrusting. I.E. if you click at 90degrees the thrust operates in that direction, and similarly if you click at any angle from the centre. The brown circle operates reverse drive, and the green one ahead drive. If you click on the inner edge of the green circle and steadily move outwards the engine speeds up to full ahead. In the brown circle if you click on the outer edge and move inwards the engine speeds up to full astern. It baffled me for a while till I realised you do not need a stern thruster with this system. I am rather ignorant of modern design, but is this how such controls operate in reality? It is very clever in my humble opinion. ??? ;D.  To stop engine quickly, click the boundary line between brown and green. Perhaps I should say red rather than brown, but on my set up it looks brown!!!! :-\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 15:35:21 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

ADDUBYA

• Forum member
Re: "Ocean Star" Controls.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 15:30:27 »

In my experience, the real controls of this design do not have reverse gear. If you want to go astern you direct the thrust towards the bow. There is no need for astern gear. In fact the drives rotate around much faster than the clutch would be able to switch from ahead to astern. I hope that they will do away with the red circle and astern all together.  It would make the controls much more user friendly especially operating them with a mouse.

roed

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 15:37:19 »

I'm not 100% sure but I beleive the "Ocean Star" you are referring to is a cruise ship, so it sounds like they have added Azimuthing Podded Propulsion (Azipods) in this version of the add-on. This means that electric motors are housed in a pod that hang below the ship and there are no gears or clutches, the electric motor is coupled directly to the prop. The pod can turn 360 degrees continuously and there are no rudders in this desgin. The props can still spin in either direction (ie there is still an "ahead" and "astern") however you will get more astern power if you keep the props spinning in the "ahead" direction and just turn the pod all the way around. This is a very common propulsion system for cruise ships now, however the technology was first developped for icebreakers.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 15:49:56 »

Hi Roed & Addubya,
Thanks for your posts, things have changed drastically since my sea going days. My third ship as a cadet in the 1950's didn't even have a wheelhouse ::). Just a covered roof with three little windows in front. All watchkeeping was done outside whatever the weather, and as for radar and gyro compass, forget them!!!! 

marcel94

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 16:23:44 »

can anybody put some pictures of the controls?
i want to see them
thank you

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 16:32:58 »

can anybody put some pictures of the controls?
i want to see them
thank you

Here you go!  :)

Regards
groennegaard

ADDUBYA

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 16:34:40 »

I wish they would put these controls on a tugboat next.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 16:47:57 »

Pods are great! Easy to manover. Sorry about my bad spelling :-[

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 17:23:36 »

The controls are great, but I dont  :-[ like them, the right direction key to steer to port, left one to starboard.
Also, rotating the controls clockwise results in the ship turning to port.  ::)
I wonder if it is not somewhat in contradiction with IMO "Guidelines on ergonomic criteria for bridge equipment and layout (MSC/Circ.982, 5.5.2.)" :
The direction of motion of operating elements for manoeuvring equipment should correspond with the direction of the effect on the ship caused by the installations controlled.
Regards,
Luc
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 21:27:45 by LucAtC »

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 18:06:50 »

I don’t yet have Ocean Star, so I can’t say anything intelligent about her controls.
Here’s a link to discussion about various azimuthing thrusters, specifically the AZIPOD.
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,2550.msg28635.html#msg28635

lester

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 00:29:00 »

Hi Luc

As far as im aware the controls on Ocean Star are not in contradiction to IMO regulations. I have personally controlled a vessel using this type of control and I found them very intuative. If you think about it there not much diffent to a tiller.

Lester

mvsmith

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 00:46:27 »

You can just use the bottom of the wheel as helmsmen of yore did. For the keys: Think “hard a’ port” and “hard a’ starboard” as helmsmen did prior to 1932.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 00:50:08 »

Greetings,
My first try with the pods,did not work out very good,as i came in to Marseille,i ran in to the outer wall of the harbour,with some crazy speed of 20 knots.
Regards
Marc
N

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 00:55:12 »

I ran aground on my first try, in Phi-Phi.  You have to laugh though eh :D

I need some serious practice I think ::) ;D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 01:09:03 »

Hello,
(MSC/Circ.982, 5.5.1.) Same reference, Movement of Controls:
Movement of a control forward, clockwise to the right, or up, should:
- turn the equipment or component on, or
- cause the quantity to increase, or
- move the equipment or component forward, clockwise, to the right, or up.

I think the controls are in contradiction with IMO regulations (as also are these of the kind of RPA12).
And yes to your suggestion, mvsmith,  ;D it is a good one. Still, the right arrow to go to port, I find it a little bit strange. And as far as I think, the Azipod controls are turned 180°.
Well, I dont care much about it it, as orders are to be given by voice, acknowledged and reported, and the helmsman has to know what he has to do... but I still dont like them. Haha. (Chacun son goût.. ::) . to each his taste).
Regards,
Luc
On the picture, turning this thing clockwise results in your ship turning counterclockwise, as you can intuitively think?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 21:32:35 by LucAtC »

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 02:47:59 »

Luc,
I have to wait for the 08 version to be available for purchase to see for myself.
I get the impression from the posts that it will make people appreciate Red Eagle. :)
Marty

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 10:47:34 »

Greetings,
Yep,i found out that this is more a challenge(which i like),my first time with this steering system,did not came out good.
It's just more practice.
Regards
Marc
N

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 13:05:39 »

christ! :'(

everyone can play the game...exept me! >:(

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 15:47:29 »

I know I'm getting old but I seem to be missing something here.  Ocean Star I have as an addon for 2006 but this thread is under 2008.   Have I not noticed and addon for 2008 or is it just that some folk have it for testing? ???
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 16:53:32 »

aarhasrhhrhrhrh!!!!!!!, it's 3 hours ago when i started downloading the add-on, and because of the f****ngloadofg****mmbu**f*#$!!!!! is the download stopped everytime!!
i need a torent or something that don't loses everything when that F*****G internet falls off! >:(

Edited by DJM.  It was pretty obvious what you were saying, so I removed some of the letters, maybe use a little more censorship next time :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 18:49:06 by [RWP]DJM »

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 18:52:22 »

aarhasrhhrhrhrh!!!!!!!, it's 3 hours ago when i started downloading the add-on, and because of the ******!!!!! is the download stopped everytime!!
i need a torent or something that don't loses everything when that F****** internet falls off! >:(

Now what has this post to do with Ocean Star controls!?  ??? Why don't you just use a download manager if you have such a lousy connection? There no need for making such a fuss about it in here...

Regards
groennegaard

Muttzcuttz

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 19:02:17 »

i need a torent or something that don't loses everything

You need GetRight ;)

http://getright.com/

thassos

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 10:55:33 »

OK  found it.  Downloading at the moment.   And as I get upset when someone says they have solved the problem but don's say how - this will tell you how  :D  http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,3052.0.html
The right to speak does not include the right to be taken seriously.

Creator on Creators Forum

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 11:55:48 »

Having started this thread I have been trying to master the handling of "Ocean Star" but am finding she is a real pig to control. I can understand what is SUPPOSED to happen but find it hardto MAKE it happen. I'd rather handle "Titanic" than "Ocean Star" if this is what she would be like in reality. :o :o

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 14:23:09 »

Having started this thread I have been trying to master the handling of "Ocean Star" but am finding she is a real pig to control. I can understand what is SUPPOSED to happen but find it hardto MAKE it happen. I'd rather handle "Titanic" than "Ocean Star" if this is what she would be like in reality. :o :o

I can relate to that, I either need some serious practice, or I am really THAT BAD ::) :D
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines