Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 16:25:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bouncy piers  (Read 5732 times)

Jaw

• Forum member
Bouncy piers
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:01 »

Hi,

I thought that the bouncy piers were supposed to be fixed by now? Because of that I havent played the game for a while but now after two updates I thought it was fixed and tried it again. Only to find out that the smallest touch will make the vessel get pushed away from the pier so exessively that it is absolutely unplayable. It is in no way realistic that you will be docking a HSC like the White Marlin without touching the fenders (I have done it irl, so I know)!

Can you please update me on when this will be fixed??

Thanks...!

Jaw

• Forum member
Re: Bouncy piers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:45 »

Oh, I just realised that the last update was not correctly registered on my system. Hopefully that will help?!

- No, no, still the same :(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:13:27 by Jaw »

Jaw

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:18 »

Seriously... I just wanted to play again today. Started the "delivery voyage" from the ferry pack with the White Marlin. Everything went fine until I reached the New York pier. I gently touch the pier with 0.1 knots and quickly attach the mooring lines. Now the ship is again and again pushed from the pier and slammed back into it until the aft of the ship actually sinks and the mission is from now on unplayable - even though the damage bar is still green...

Am I the only one this happens to???

Gernot1971

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:16:13 »

You are not the only one with this problem. One of the reason i stop to play the game. And if you play MP like me, you haven't a chance to attach mooring lines because: No bollards in MP.   >:(
Grüße aus / Best regards from

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:25:12 »

Unfortunately not every pier in the game has been sorted. If you think about it there must be many miles of quaysides in all the environments in the game. Many of the latest Custom missions have been built to match up with piers which have been fixed. I think that this particular problem became so huge that although many piers have been "fixed" it is almost impossible to do them all without a massive input of man hours which the Company have not at their disposal at present.

Traddles.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Jaw

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:48 »

Well Traddles, thanks for the reply. I get your point. But if it is not possible to fix the piers then the missions at least should be updated. And with the - I think pretty limited - amount of missions released by Vsted the miles of quay included in these mission is very limited so it should not take that long to fix...?!

How can I enjoy the White Marlin if there are no updated missions for the ship?? The missions have bouncy piers and the free roaming have no bollards...?!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 14:44:01 »

Hmm - SS08 never had Bouncy quays though...  :-\

No offence, but there must be a fundamental flaw in SSE if you can't just tell the wall collision models to not bounce...  :-\

TFMs Guide to Crossing the Dover Channel (http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,21107.0.html)

Jaw

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 17:01:41 »

I totally agree, tfm. And never the less piers in the real world do not bounce, so if they want to call it a simulator they need to fix that!

I know this has been an issue since the release, but Vstep should seriously fix the fundamental program errors before they release stuff like new ships into an almost unplayable game...!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 17:58:14 »

Just as a matter of interest, and being aware of the "bounce", I tried the mission in question. Surprisingly enough by GENTLE handling I managed to moor "White Marlin" without a bounce AND hard up to the quayside. ::) It's all in the way you hold your mouth as we say in UK. :doh:

Angus.

virtualpilot

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 21:19:35 »

The caption says it all. Ah  to those who have been to sea in ships.

N

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 21:31:04 »

Hmm - SS08 never had Bouncy quays though...  :-

True, but I do recall the Amazing Flying Ships.. Also not very ship-like..  ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 23:10:38 by saltydog »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 22:36:29 »

How can I enjoy the White Marlin if there are no updated missions for the ship?? The missions have bouncy piers and the free roaming have no bollards...?!

There are bollards in Free Roaming, a quite large number of them. When you open a Free roaming session, click on "Toggle ships on/off" as in the first picture below. Bollards as well as ships will then be seen in the environment you are in. Second picture shows them in the Berghaven, at the Hook of Holland.

Angus.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:27:55 by Traddles »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 23:33:30 »

I think there were more bollards in 08, and you could find them. They were shown as small dots on the map..

Gernot1971

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:30 »

There are bollards in Free Roaming, a quite large number of them. When you open a Free roaming session, click on "Toggle ships on/off" as in the first picture below. Bollards as well as ships will then be seen in the environment you are in. Second picture shows them in the Berghaven, at the Hook of Holland.

Angus.

Hi,

i think Jaw missunderstood my message with the bollards. In Free roaming are bollards. In Multiplayer are no bollards.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:28:16 by Traddles »

virtualpilot

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 11:57:03 »

Hi,

i think Jaw missunderstood my message with the bollards. In Free roaming are bollards. In Multiplayer are no bollards.
This sounds a bit silly to me. either we have bollards or we don't. these are fixed items on docks, wharves or walls . So how can you have them in free roam and not in MP.
The mind boggles.

N

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:08 »

It might well sound silly to you, but Gernot1971 was merely stating a fact. We are talking about the game NOT  about reality.  :doh: ::)

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 12:04:08 »

This sounds a bit silly to me. either we have bollards or we don't. these are fixed items on docks, wharves or walls . So how can you have them in free roam and not in MP.
The mind boggles.

N

they did not put them in multiplayer to prevent grand bollard theft (no serious answer!)

mikenco

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 03:02:28 »

"they did not put them in multiplayer to prevent grand bollard theft (no serious answer!)"

That would be solved by allowing vessels to moor alongside others who are static, just in real life. (without the need to permission to attach) just like in real life.

Re: Bouncy piers, might it be easier for VStep for there to be thread for people to list the popular piers that are still bouncy, rather than asking them to fix them all? i.e. the main ones in Calais for starters. (speaking for MP game here).

These are not major gripes for me, just inputting my two-penneth  :thumbs:

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:01 »

"they did not put them in multiplayer to prevent grand bollard theft (no serious answer!)"

That would be solved by allowing vessels to moor alongside others who are static, just in real life. (without the need to permission to attach) just like in real life.

Re: Bouncy piers, might it be easier for VStep for there to be thread for people to list the popular piers that are still bouncy, rather than asking them to fix them all? i.e. the main ones in Calais for starters. (speaking for MP game here).

These are not major gripes for me, just inputting my two-penneth  :thumbs:

Good idea! May take a while before it is implemented (considdered the present Vstep_speed). In the mean time you can use anchors to "moor" in multiplayer, works well.

Gernot1971

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:38 »

Good idea! May take a while before it is implemented (considdered the present Vstep_speed). In the mean time you can use anchors to "moor" in multiplayer, works well.

The anchors "works well". I a new information for me, my experience is that the anchors don't hold the ship on the position. I mean the anchors works bad.

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 12:08:58 »

The anchors "works well". I a new information for me, my experience is that the anchors don't hold the ship on the position. I mean the anchors works bad.

You got to be sure all speed is out of the ship lateral and longitudal, and use both anchors, and it works well.
If it does not work (new information for me!), than you clearly do something wrong.
You can already drop ;D anchor under 5 or 3 knots, and that is the wrong way, except for emergencies  ;D.

Gernot1971

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:39 »

I droped the anchors in MP session at Calais, for example, and the ships have no speed. And if i lay at the pier since a few minutes, the ships dosn't hold the postion.

floatboat

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:26 »

Is the same for me.
I might as well have anchors made of cardboard  :doh:

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 06:57:25 »

Find the right ship and spot and you need nothing to stay steady as a rock without anchor or ropes.
Only do this if you do not have plans to sail away soon, for you can get in, but never get out.

This is a moor spot without ropes or anchors in Dover harbour.

Jaw

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:19 »

And now it just happened again with the Oceana in the Sidney mission. And I was meters away from the berth and definately not touching the bottom!! How can you play a game when the very basic functions are not working...!?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines