Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 15:41:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Seriously, how dare you...  (Read 24213 times)

Tarsus

• Forum member
Seriously, how dare you...
« on: May 21, 2012, 16:15:58 »

Being a real life sailor, off sick at the moment, having some free time on my hands, against all negative opinions I decided to finally purchase SSF. So, long story short.

-Game is seriously lacking... texturing. Most models and objects look like quickly lifted out of 3D Studio, without putting a texture on. That's unacceptable for an officially released game.

-Bug after bug, MP/SP. Won't even list them.

-You call it a "simulator". Which part is a simulation actually? There are no navigational instruments whatsoever. How the heck should I plot the course from Dover to Calais? There is no radio which is a number 1 instrument onboard every vessel larger than those in the bathtub. Radar is probably force-pulled out from some console game.
Where are indicators, battery, fuel the basics at least.

-No weather reports whatsoever, weather itself is at arcade level at the most.

-the game doesn't even support it's own features damn it. Tried to assign buttons to 360' circular two way thruster? There are no buttons for it to assign. Only thrusters 1 and 2.

-Game has graphics like  from early HL2 epoch and requirements like Crysis.

-Zooming view in onto the dials on the dashboard - textures are so poor, most dials cant be read.
And I'm using high spec machine with all quality options maxed at high resolution.

-Multiplayer free roam mode only? And what, let the people use their own imagination, be good RPers etc? Come on, RP is one thing but we're no longer children who like to play with invisible toys.

-No damage at all in MP, no visible damage in SP, no component damage ... now, that's really low...

-SP missions boring to death, non inventive, passive.

I've seen low budget games in early beta developed better than this. How did you even dare to release it to public, call such a price for it. This is a low punch guys, below the waist. You know, there are people who would kill to have a decent ship sim, so you just released some seriously unfinished product, put the price on it hoping to snatch some money from the market. Even Silent Hunter 5 beats this at every possible point, and people say that game isn't very well attended to by devs.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Good points are, the maneuvering of the ship itself. Left right tadadada, it's fun. Short, but fun, and seems to work ok. Apart from the rudder position in reverse and direction to which the ship is gonna go... won't even comment on that, because I'd get banned.
Towing isn't bad idea, and works reasonably well. There is a multiplayer. Buggy as heck, but there is one, so that's a plus too. Water cannons - nice, but where is the fire to be put down? I also like walking on ship feature. Improves immersion.
I seriously believe, the game has great potential, and could be freaking amazing, when released as FINISHED product, with more simulation features added, not only BETA trainer.
Done.

You may kill me now.
:)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 16:18:04 by Tarsus »

danny

• Forum member
Re: Seriously, how dare you...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 16:42:38 »

If I had a penny for every time I've read something similar to what you have just posted I'd be a millionaire...
You share the opinion of most people on the forum, Although you seem to have worded it in a professional manner. You should be credited for this, as most people who have tried to get there point of view across simply screamed it, mentioned something about lawyers and then left.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 16:50:08 by danny »
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 17:08:00 »

I'm not gonna quit... yet, there is still enjoyment there, just the money I spent kinda itches me there and there.
Will have some multiplayer fun with my wifie, we both risk-purchased SSE, so as God is my witness, I'll squeeze that 40 quid out of that game no matter what :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 17:15:25 by Tarsus »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 17:12:29 »

I'm not gonna quit... yet, there is still enjoyment there, just the money I spent kinda itches me there and there.
Will have some multiplayer fin fun with my wifie, we both risk-purchased SSE, so as God is my witness, I'll squeeze that 40 quid out of that game no matter what :)
I can't squeeze out my 40 quid.... it doesn't work on my PC :C

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 17:13:13 »

I wonder, why i always feel offended by these topics

I wonder that too, as they are all valid points.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 17:13:44 »

I can't squeeze out my 40 quid.... it doesn't work on my PC :C

Have you tried switching it off and on again?  :doh:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 17:16:15 by Ballast »

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 17:15:35 »

Did you tried switching it off and on again?
as you can see on this chart, your computer is waaaay to under/overpowered (cross out non applicable) to run SSE  :doh:

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 17:57:49 »

You may try the idea of "kids with invisible toys" on my server, maybe some would squeeze few quid back this way :)
http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,28424.msg377363.html#msg377363
Some peeps played this today, and liked it.
If that wont work, I'm gonna go and play with my rubber duck in the bathtub to get a decent ship-sim experience :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 18:06:19 by Tarsus »

EMULUS405

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 18:59:47 »

Being a real life sailor, off sick at the moment, having some free time on my hands, against all negative opinions I decided to finally purchase SSF. So, long story short.

-Game is seriously lacking... texturing. Most models and objects look like quickly lifted out of 3D Studio, without putting a texture on. That's unacceptable for an officially released game.

-Bug after bug, MP/SP. Won't even list them.

-You call it a "simulator". Which part is a simulation actually? There are no navigational instruments whatsoever. How the heck should I plot the course from Dover to Calais? There is no radio which is a number 1 instrument onboard every vessel larger than those in the bathtub. Radar is probably force-pulled out from some console game.
Where are indicators, battery, fuel the basics at least.

-No weather reports whatsoever, weather itself is at arcade level at the most.

-the game doesn't even support it's own features damn it. Tried to assign buttons to 360' circular two way thruster? There are no buttons for it to assign. Only thrusters 1 and 2.

-Game has graphics like  from early HL2 epoch and requirements like Crysis.

-Zooming view in onto the dials on the dashboard - textures are so poor, most dials cant be read.
And I'm using high spec machine with all quality options maxed at high resolution.

-Multiplayer free roam mode only? And what, let the people use their own imagination, be good RPers etc? Come on, RP is one thing but we're no longer children who like to play with invisible toys.

-No damage at all in MP, no visible damage in SP, no component damage ... now, that's really low...

-SP missions boring to death, non inventive, passive.

I've seen low budget games in early beta developed better than this. How did you even dare to release it to public, call such a price for it. This is a low punch guys, below the waist. You know, there are people who would kill to have a decent ship sim, so you just released some seriously unfinished product, put the price on it hoping to snatch some money from the market. Even Silent Hunter 5 beats this at every possible point, and people say that game isn't very well attended to by devs.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Good points are, the maneuvering of the ship itself. Left right tadadada, it's fun. Short, but fun, and seems to work ok. Apart from the rudder position in reverse and direction to which the ship is gonna go... won't even comment on that, because I'd get banned.
Towing isn't bad idea, and works reasonably well. There is a multiplayer. Buggy as heck, but there is one, so that's a plus too. Water cannons - nice, but where is the fire to be put down? I also like walking on ship feature. Improves immersion.
I seriously believe, the game has great potential, and could be freaking amazing, when released as FINISHED product, with more simulation features added, not only BETA trainer.
Done.

You may kill me now.
:)

this Couldent be more true, and where the hell is the TITANIC and why isnent there DAMAGE IN MULTIPLAYER.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 19:01:59 »

The reason there's no damage in multiplayer is do idiots can't go on ram rampages.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 19:14:34 »

If I had a penny for every time I've read something similar to what you have just posted I'd be a millionaire...
You share the opinion of most people on the forum, Although you seem to have worded it in a professional manner. You should be credited for this, as most people who have tried to get there point of view across simply screamed it, mentioned something about lawyers and then left.

this Couldent be more true, and where the hell is the TITANIC and why isnent there DAMAGE IN MULTIPLAYER.

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 00:18:53 »

I believe if the server is strictly policed by owner, or admin/moderator, ramming griefers wouldn't be a problem. I know that now, been even called names today for kicking people out of well populated server.
Despite that fact, we managed to have almost full server most of the time, and had no griefing at all, two accidental collisions only through whole afternoon session.
Problem is though, to do this, it requires 100% of moderator attention and focus. Just like in real Port Control I imagine. No coffee time. After good six hours I feel so exhausted I wouldn't even expect.
So not really surprised when devs went for no-damage option on MP servers, instead of providing moderating staff.
However, they might have left the option to switch it on/off.
Surely we wouldn't get offended, if there were more server options and in-game server commands.
(...unless there are, and I haven't discovered them yet)

sydmichel

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28:47 »

I wonder that too, as they are all valid points.

Ballast. where is the post that you were quoting?
We're all buddies in boats

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 09:41:20 »

I'll squeeze that 40 quid out of that game no matter what :)

Hmmm. Then the silver round thingy in the box is good at keeping your table clean from coffee marks, whilst the box it came in provides more entertainment value than the aforementioned round silver thing.... and the box doubles up as a good door wedge.

Apart from that, you're going to be hard pressed to make £40 worth of use out of it.

PS Tarsus, there are several current and retired mariners on this forum (or there WAS- perhaps they've all given up on it) and the general consensus from them was the same as yours.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:59 »

My two pennies worth:

Having seen the amount of computing power it takes to run a professional simulator it was always going to be an ambitious project to make a PC based version.  As an example each radar on a full mission bridge simulator has it's own PC.

SS06 / 08 were compromises between playability and simulation, but they were good and they were fun, as a professional seafarer (although not of the coffee drinking / window gazing variety) I found them somewhat lacking in terms of serious ship handling, but I was able to accept that they were good fun ways for people to experience a little of the feel of handling some of the vessel types which were included.

If you look back on the forums from those days you will see millions of gripes about the physics not being accurate and the handling being unrealistic, VSTEP have addressed these issues with SSE, but it has come at a massive cost to resource management with the result that played on anything other than a high end desktop PC the game will be slow and buggy.

The simple fact is that you cannot have a simulator which accurately simulates the incredibly complex physics of manoeuvring a ship in moving water as well as great graphics without a whole lot of computing power, to make Ship Sim able to run well on the average PC it would have to go back to something like the quality of SS08, maybe SSE was a step too far or a step too quickly, but it seems to be a step in the right direction, even if a slightly misguided one.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:52 »

Ballast. where is the post that you were quoting?

I think the poster deleted it  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:20:24 by Ballast »

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 11:14:11 »

The simple fact is that you cannot have a simulator which accurately simulates the incredibly complex physics of manoeuvring a ship in moving water as well as great graphics without a whole lot of computing power, to make Ship Sim able to run well on the average PC it would have to go back to something like the quality of SS08, maybe SSE was a step too far or a step too quickly, but it seems to be a step in the right direction, even if a slightly misguided one.
I think you are extensively exaggerating.
As first example, I present you:
Silent Hunter 5.
Great graphics, crew, ability to walk around ship, almost whole world map seamlessly connected with ports of course, instruments of navigation, rulers dividers etc. Component damage, visual ship damage, reparir system, crew morale, skils and management system. Sky that contains real real stars and everything moves in astrological order. One of the user mod even adds sextant if you'd fancy to play with it. There is a radio onboard, for sending/receiving messages about the weather etc. Sonar - that can be manually operated. Radar that can be manually operated. You go to engine room and you see diesels working accordingly to set RPM. Other NPC ships, operating under various algorithms, and maneuver very wisely. ...and I could go like that all day, believe me. Sea waves don't just flap around, they come from certain direction, and when sailing on surface, you can feel props coming out of the water and ship loosing sipeed ( i think RPM was spiking too, but not sure about that).
All this you can also make work in multiplayer.
...only the game is not about civilian ships during time of peace. I'm also tired from shooting things from time to time.
I'd also say few thing about TakeOn helicopters to compare, but what's the point.
Our computers are more than capable of running decently written Ship Simulator. That's an undeniable fact.
Just whoever has created our beloved game ( I admit, I still like it) should be keelhauled for laziness greed, and lack of attention to detail.

Twice.
:D

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 12:38:41 »

The only things nice for me about SSE is the new ocean system (especially the transit between sheltered waters and open seas), the new dynamic weather system and the new options that the player has such as operating lights, fi-fi monitors, ramps and such.

The reason why people play simulators is to get the feeling of operating the real thing and not for the fancy graphics and neat eye candy. The vibe I get from the community is that they feel the same. SS08 with the aboved mentioned functions would be a very nice game for the hardcore players.

I play ShipSim since the first game came out in 2006 which was by then only available in the German language. Since then I played over 2000 hours. When SS08 came out, everyone was suprised to see the big step forward that VSTEP made compared to SS06 and everyone was expecting the same with SSE. Unfortunately SSE doesn't feel like a step forward, more like a step aside.

Ofcourse the above mentioned is my opinion as a fan of the series and not as a moderator of this forum eh  :P

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 13:39:43 »

The reason why people play simulators is to get the feeling of operating the real thing and not for the fancy graphics and neat eye candy. The vibe I get from the community is that they feel the same. SS08 with the aboved mentioned functions would be a very nice game for the hardcore players.

Of course. I bet if there was a simulator with non-texture filled vector graphics, you'd go for it instead.
Graphics is important, that's the times we live in. We need visual effects to tickle our senses.
Graphics in SSE is fully sufficient, it's just simply not finished, like a house built in a rush, that somebody even didn't bother to paint. I don't really expect to see ever little upholstery stitch on the captains chair.
What is now is good. Good enough. Just put some bloody textures on, because object modeling is done sufficiently enough. This seriously look like unfinished work, can't you see it?
As for simulator - please, point out elements of simulation in SSE. All is pretty much arcade. It would have to be stretched in pretty much every aspect to call it a simulation.

Finney

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 13:46:40 »

lol.............................

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 14:57:51 »

...as just to point out how much of a simulation this game is... I can't really believe that, there must be some "easy mode" option I missed or something.
Just take simple water taxi boat. Turn your steering wheel fully to the port. Open a throttle very slightly forward. It goes where it should, right? Right. Now same situation, but reverse. Did someone turned the rudder to the opposite side?
I'm no expert guys, but every real boat I was manning the steering wheel, when you turn the wheel left, and put into reverse, the bow moves right, and stern left.
Please don't tell me anything more about simulation, and physics. And i suppose, this was a coding problem hard to solve by devs, so they decided to go "playstation" on basic principle of boat maneuvering.

Tarsus

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 15:32:05 »

sorry buddy. cant find any message from you...

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 15:34:44 »

He sent one to me... Your not missing out on much Tarsus  :doh:

larsdehaan

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 15:35:05 »

and he send one to me too..

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 15:35:43 »

Well, you can ignore those.. He's on holiday now for asking other members for their serial key  :thumbs:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines