Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 17:03:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic II  (Read 54688 times)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Re: Titanic II
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 14:15:53 »

I know people who already start sweating if they can't check Facebook for more than 10 minutes, let alone a whole voyage  :doh:

Ugh, tell me about it in a cinema in Rotterdam... People checking facebook every few minutes...  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 14:49:40 »

Ugh, tell me about it in a cinema in Rotterdam... People checking facebook every few minutes...  ::)

Not to get too much off topic but I'm so glad I'm not the only one being annoyed about it.
Those fools always have their display brightness on +9000% You can't even see the movie because of that construction light interrupting your sight!

But let's not get too much off topic  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 14:58:54 by Mr Robville »

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 14:55:21 »

You're right. Let's get back to the vexation of Titanic II actually being built.  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 17:54:10 »

being myself I dislike being away from Facebook as im scared someone has posted something bag or message me with something importaint.
but it would be nice to get away from today and littulary go back in time.

and the backlight thing - I have destroyed a phone by accident for having too much brightness

BUT you will not even see me DEAD in those types of clothes.
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 20:12:30 »

BUT you will not even see me DEAD in those types of clothes.

Oh come on, it can't be that bad. At least it's not renaissance period clothing. :doh:
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 21:23:45 »

I think I would like wearing in style  8)
But that's probably because I like suits, hats and stuff

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:30 »

Steve Hall is on the Titanic II project, so I have full faith as far as research goes.

I'm going to try to keep myself from getting too excited for it until they lay the keel, though. The thought does arise that I want to visit England one of these years, and this might just be the perfect way to do it! Finally my obsession would see a payoff, when I know what the best rooms on the ship are! ;D

... So they have a virtual model of the design. How about simplifying the model some and getting it into Ship Simulator for a GreenPeace-esque deal? ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 10:12:26 by RMS Gigantic »

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 18:51:55 »

Good idea. It would fit into SSE's modern theme.

And will she be powered by coal and reciprocating engines? Because that would be awesome! ;D
Today's weather:

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 19:06:16 »

So they have a virtual model of the design. How about simplifying the model some and getting it into Ship Simulator for a GreenPeace-esque deal? ;)

Good luck.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 05:18:22 »

And will she be powered by coal and reciprocating engines? Because that would be awesome! ;D
Nope! They've stated that she'll be powered by diesel-electric engines instead! Don't worry, though, from what I'm reading, the output will be very similar to the original ship.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 17:42:06 »

Wikipedia tells us that propulsion will be diesel-electric, by one fixed propeller and two azimuth thrusters.. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 17:55:11 by saltydog »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 00:06:30 »

Wikipedia tells us that propulsion will be diesel-electric, by one fixed propeller and two azimuth thrusters.. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II
But the 3D model on the official site shows 3 azimuth thrusters :)

http://titanic-ii.com/

It's not too common to have a ship with an odd number of azipods, I don't think :P

Speaking of the official website, the bridge further convinces me that the Titanic II could fit into ShipSim quite nicely/interestingly:

(The site states that the wheel and telegraphs in the navigation bridge will not be able to be used to operate the ship)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 00:09:49 by RMS Gigantic »

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 18:33:46 »

seems like one of the first renders were done in Kerkythea  ::)

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 18:45:34 »

and sorry to add to this, but i am not going to like this ship if it states that classes cannot 'mingle'
Meaning people who bought tickets for a third class cannot see anything happening on the 1st class which i found stupid when we know today that there is a thing called equality and of course the passengers would love to see the entire ship if not most of it atleast.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 20:46:18 »

I'm not totally adverse to the idea of keeping the classes seperate. After all, booking a trip on the Titanic II will be  like stepping into a time machine, which may be what people expect.  Passengers will even be required to dress in the same clothes of the time (which well be provided to them). There may however be a possibilty for passengers to view the ship..  :)

"Although the classes on Titanic II will be kept largely separate, Palmer said he was considering offering ticket packages that would allow passengers to experience all three classes during a typical six-day Atlantic crossing.

Prices for the tickets will be announced later."

http://afr.com/p/national/not_too_superstitious_palmer_unwraps_PIVWRnHDpx96P0pOZnDjvJ
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 21:47:34 by saltydog »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 22:05:18 »

According to the Our Partners page of the Blue Star Line website, it appears that the naval engineering and 3D renders have been done by the same company that did those tasks for the Oasis of the Seas!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 23:06:42 »

so there going to use side-launching --- is that the most dangourous one as there a risk that the ship could acctually capsize or hit the bottom as not enough dept?  ::)
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 00:07:12 »

Side launching is better for the ship structurally, since during a slip launch, the stern will float in the water while the bow is still on the slipway, leaving the middle of the ship unsupported.

I think people aren't really getting the point of this ship. It's the whole Vietnam effect (more people know it as a war than a place). Titanic was a truly luxurious ship, and a fine example of ships of that era. Why not recreate it?

Modern cruise ships are floating hotels, which doesn't really appeal to everyone. This will cater for people who do prefer old liners, and there's definitely enough people who meet that criteria to fill all the berths on the T2 for the forseeable future, so I don't think it'll be a commercial failure.

Titanic is a ship, not a disaster!
Almost never here, try here.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 00:52:41 »

Well said, McGherkin!

On the topic of side launching, I believe the shipyard that will be building Titanic II has previously won a record for the heaviest side-launched ship in the world, so they seem like they'll know what they're doing, even though Titanic II will be even bigger!

That said, even in terms of side launching huge ships, the Jinling Shipyard will still need to overhaul its construction resources in order to fit Titanic II. More than 100 years later and Titanic is still requiring shipbuilding companies to expand their facilities ;D

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 00:55:11 »

Side launching is better for the ship structurally, since during a slip launch, the stern will float in the water while the bow is still on the slipway, leaving the middle of the ship unsupported.

I think people aren't really getting the point of this ship. It's the whole Vietnam effect (more people know it as a war than a place). Titanic was a truly luxurious ship, and a fine example of ships of that era. Why not recreate it?

Modern cruise ships are floating hotels, which doesn't really appeal to everyone. This will cater for people who do prefer old liners, and there's definitely enough people who meet that criteria to fill all the berths on the T2 for the forseeable future, so I don't think it'll be a commercial failure.

Titanic is a ship, not a disaster!

Exactly! If this forum had "like" buttons for each post, I would "like" this.
Today's weather:

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 19:44:32 »

I'm not totally adverse to the idea of keeping the classes seperate. After all, booking a trip on the Titanic II will be  like stepping into a time machine, which may be what people expect.  Passengers will even be required to dress in the same clothes of the time (which well be provided to them). There may however be a possibilty for passengers to view the ship..  :)

"Although the classes on Titanic II will be kept largely separate, Palmer said he was considering offering ticket packages that would allow passengers to experience all three classes during a typical six-day Atlantic crossing.

Prices for the tickets will be announced later."

http://afr.com/p/national/not_too_superstitious_palmer_unwraps_PIVWRnHDpx96P0pOZnDjvJ

Still i would atleast on the first day atleast get to see the entire ship before going to my class and putting on the directed clothes.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 21:27:10 »

The renders are actually quite impressive I think. Altough I have mixed feelings about the whole new look. It kind of feels just fake as most of it is just for show. Like looking at a film studio. It looks great from one side, but looking at the back it's all a soundstage. But on the other hand, they obviously have no choice but modifying the ship's original design because of efficiency and safety reasons.

About the render of the bridge.
It looks pretty state of the art, like Titanic was back in it's day, but please, with Titanic's best researchers on the team, get those storm shields below the outer windows actually matching the size  :doh: (those wooden boards with a hole in the middle)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 22:43:34 »

Another possibility for launching might be the use of air-bags. The Chinese have some experience with this.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJzWUxPqUM

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:47 »

Maybe flat bed ships might be suitable for that method, maybe the Titanic's curved hull wouldn't suit that.

Besides, most people think the Chinese people have NO experience and are just a bunch of people that have no idea how to do anything. made in China. (<<no i personally disagree with this but a common example)

All this hate and conflict against the Titanic II will decrease maybe in 2016 when it does reach the shores of New York, but we will need some patients till then.

My final conclusion just is: Its their money, they can make use it for their own sake, even if others demand something, the money is in their hands so in a way they are the ones who decide what they should do with their money.
Some rich men buy yachts, open an airline, build an island. But some may also want to start a historical ocean company.

As far as i know, i like this idea, whatever people say.

Ok, back to the renders, Question: Can the captain view the ship you think, with that old bridge in front of it?

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:34 »

The windows are larger than the original ship in most of the bridge to ensure better visibility, and there's a door both forward into the old bridge and sideways into the wing cabs to ensure visibility.

And I personally really like how they combined the Titanic's original design with modern amenities and requirements, such as how they gave the ship a helipad without interrupting her rigging!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines