Hello Guest April 19, 2024, 00:53:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Live webcam on Giglio Island  (Read 49082 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Live webcam on Giglio Island
« on: January 18, 2012, 14:31:24 »

Here is a link to a live webcam on Giglio Island, so we can follow events as they happen..

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

You can switch between several viewpoints by clicking on the pictures at the top of the page.
The Costa Concordia is visible on two cameras..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:31:45 by saltydog »

Cat320DL

• Forum member
Re: Live webcam on Giglio Island
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 18:11:36 »

Thx for the link Saltydog  :)

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 22:14:26 »

Here is a link to a live webcam on Giglio Island, so we can follow events as they happen..

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html
looks good
athought bit far away and its the middle of the night and you cant see much  :doh:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 23:21:13 »

very sad what happened in Italy 12 people died so far and 20 are still missing (i think that  they are also gone  :'( 8 days in a huge air bubble without fresh air and water or food )

but here in the Netherlands did beached a ship (the Aztec Maiden) yesterday at Wijk aan Zee (near Amsterdam) but it is floating again (today at 17:00 hour the tugs and coast guard have towed here away from the beach)

at 20-1-2012 Istanbul a Sierra leone-flagged cargo ship called Kayan-1 86M (282 Feet) carrying empty containers due to the strong winds when it got dragged and brushed against two other cargo ships, the Dutch flagged Slochterdiep and the Tanzania-flagged Adria Blu she is stranded

rescuers looking at the stranded Kayan 1 at Istanbul

the Slochterdiep

the Aria Blu

19-1-2012 Northsea
the tanker Athiri was leaving the anchor area at Goedereede to Rotterdam around 21:00 hour short after depart the captain had to make a difficult manouvre and hit the tanker Sloman themis that was laying at anchorthe chain from the Sloman themis brokeand both ship that were loaded with dangerous substances had damage above the waterline no load was leaking short after the crash the captain from the Athiri made an another dangerous maneuvre and sailed very close to an another tanker that was also laying  at anchor.
the captain from the Athiri have a penalty of 10000 euro ,103 pound) aneuvres.

the Athiri

Sloman themis

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:37 »

Just watching now as a crane barge is being moved into position next to the ship.
No doubt in preparation of the pumping out of the oil later this week..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:41:59 by saltydog »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 13:53:18 »

Looks like something is about to happen, perhaps remove the funnel..?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 13:58:00 by saltydog »

Second Mate

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 14:02:37 »

I like the distinctive look of Micoperi 30 crane barge

Jet Carhorn / Captain Jack

RYAN123

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 15:08:36 »

Looking at Cam 5 It looks like the top part of the funnel has already gone:)
I shall return :evil:

I like Trains :)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:10:05 »

Hm, I see that they've just send the crainship away. Still visible (at this point of time) in the distance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:13:35 by VirtualSkipper »
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 15:19:04 »

right now it just looks really misty or foggy.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:46 »

According to latest reports, the first preparations have been done..
Time for the next step; getting the ship upright..

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 07:43:02 »

The salvage team expects to have one chance of removing the ship as planned, because she is slowly being crushed by her own weight..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 17:56:25 by saltydog »

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:32:28 »

I remember once when there was an issue with the island wanting to postpone the lift to avoid any interference in the tourist industry. I remember them saying that it should be postponed to at least january 2014. I feel happy that the island can take a rightful decision and have the ship removed as soon as possible. Maybe a month of no tourism but once the ship has been removed, it has been removed!

However, i know for sure CC wouldn't look the same after sitting on the seabed for over a year.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 16:22:14 »

I remember readings something about South Korea wanting the ship as nobody else wanted it. Now it's so rusty and bad it's not even up to North Korea standard!  :doh:
On a serious note its worrying that they don't think it could survive the lift and they only have one shot at it.
Captain Cadet

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 22:00:20 »

Imagine what noises would come out of the site managers mouth if they lifted the ship up and it just fell apart...  ;D

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 22:42:44 »

I believe It would be something along the lines of @:£/@;);@:!/&;£;£;&;£;£;£;@@@!;7:!/

Stay Cool
Jake

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 22:48:19 »

I just saw that post on the hacker thread and wondered 'What? ???'! Now I see it ;D

Yeah, with a few more symbols added would probably be about right!  :lol:

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 23:25:53 »

I believe It would be something along the lines of @:£/@;);@:!/&;£;£;&;£;£;£;@@@!;7:!/

Stay Cool
Jake

I wonder also how many walls will have fist holes in it if it does break!  :doh:
Captain Cadet

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:32 »

Alright, somewhere in the following weeks they will begin to "parbuckle" the ship.  :)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 18:02:26 »

On this site you can follow the progress:

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/?lang=uk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 18:05:55 by saltydog »

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 13:44:37 »

New update from yesterday.

The operation to right the ship Costa Concordia (known as “parbuckling”) has been given the go-ahead for this month: this was the outcome of a meeting convened in Rometoday at the headquarters of the Civil Protection Department, by the Emergency Commissioner Franco Gabrielli, and attended by representatives from the Advisory Committee, the Observatory, the Micoperi-Titan Consortium and the cruise line Costa Crociere.
Final authorization to proceed with the operation to rotate the wreck is subject to submission of all the test certificates following inspection of all the finished structures and tocompletion of the preliminary activities required before the actual parbuckling can begin. All of this should take place by the end of next week; at any time thereafter, as soon as the sea and weather conditions are favorable, the operation torotate the wreck into an upright position can begin.
The parties present at the Rome meeting all contributed to the discussions – within their respective areas of expertise – providing guidelines and instructions that the contracted firms will be obliged to abide by during the parbuckling andwhich were added to the final document drafted subsequently.
The decision taken at today’s meeting is the result ofcontinuous work – with a constant exchange of information and documents – between the companies contracted to remove the wreck (world leaders in marine salvage and naval engineering) and the Emergency Commissioner’s Office, particularly its Monitoring Observatory. Over the months, in fact, the potential risks associated with theparbuckling were assessed and specific precautionary measures were taken accordingly. In this regard, a comparison was made between the risk of leaving the ship upright throughout the winter, exposed to adverse sea and weather conditions, or else leaving the wreck in its currenttilted position for the same period of time; the conclusionreached was that the former option is preferable to the latter – another winter left lying at an unnatural angle would possibly have comprised the parbuckling operation if this had been delayed until next spring. The meeting also agreed on a weighty document dealing with management of the water inside the hull; indeed, since the start of August,preliminary work has been proceeding involving the“remediation” of the liquid material and its removal from some accessible parts of the ship.
As has been the case all along, arrangements were also made to inform the population of Giglio about the latest developments; to this end, next week a meeting is scheduled on the island with the Prefect Mr. Gabrielli, the Mayor of Giglio, the Chairman of the Monitoring Observatory and representatives from the Micoperi-Titan Consortium and Costa Crociere.
A few days after this, a press conference will be held to announce to the media the likely date of commencement of the operation – this is still uncertain at the moment – as well as to explain the associated details and provide logistical instructions so that reporters can cover the story properly without hindering the parbuckling or the work of the Civil Protection Department, which is actively engaged at Isola del Giglio.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/article/42/Press_release_by_italian_civil_protection

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 17:09:22 »

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 17:27:20 »

So will the ship be righted on Monday?

Thanks a lot stormforce!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 18:12:46 »

That is the plan.. ;)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines