Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 08:01:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad manners on the forum.  (Read 4983 times)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
Bad manners on the forum.
« on: December 16, 2011, 19:50:55 »

Before I go any further with this post I would like to draw members attention to the Forum rules:-

http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html

Recently there has been a great deal of provocative posting in various boards. It appears that the concept of good manners and respect for others, irrespective of age or experience is quite outrageous. Where has common sense and decency gone. :o
Arguing with moderators, even if you do not agree with what has been said or done, is actually against the rules of the forum, and insulting moderators by suggesting the they should retire because of their age is really going beyond any bounds of decency. :o
Perhaps it would be an idea to read the rules, understand them and not least of all ABIDE by them. It may well open the eyes of many who post in such a derogatory manner. I respectfully commend this course of action to all.

Yours sincerely,
Traddles.
Moderator (Appointed by VStep, but not part of Vstep, merely a volunteer who has the well being of both the Ship Simulator games and the Forum at heart.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:55:31 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Rbsanford

• Forum member
Re: Bad manners on the forum.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:55 »

now ime scared...

Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:53:14 »

and insulting moderators by suggesting the they should retire because of their age is really going beyond any bounds of decency. :o

Age is path that one treads on the journey towards wisdom. Those younger members would do well to heed the wise words of those who have been, done, seen and worn the t-shirts long before you were a twinkle in the milk mans eyes.

On a serious point though, Angus. Respect is not a god given right- not even to a goderator; it must be earned. You have most certainly earned the respect of a great number of people here, not least of all me. To a degree I'd say the same applies to most of the goderators. But with the demand for respect also comes the responsibility to act in a manner worthy of such respect. Alas, I fear that I am not alone in observing that one member of the goderator team has somewhat fallen short of this responsibility.

(now they'll all scuttle off to decide which of them I'm referring to!)

EDIT: 01:58GMT. Reason: Haha, original post likely to offend and fairly obvious which plank I was referring to.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:58:32 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:12:58 »

now ime scared...

You are now one step away of being banned for being cheeky to moderators after being clearly warned how not to post.

We are not going to keep repeating ourselves. If you cannot behave and post responsibly and if you persist in your disrespectful attitude towards the staff, then you will find there are other ways to get our point across, as well.

I trust it should be clear by now.

capt. jack richson

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:49 »

and insulting moderators by suggesting the they should retire because of their age is really going beyond any bounds of decency. :o

one is never too old for a forum moderator  :)

NBRYANT24

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 16:35:02 »

I have also noticed that lately there has been a lot of members bickering, leading threads to go off-topic and creating unnecessary posts. The majority of the topics on the boards lately are made up members asking the same questions. It's common sense to read the RULES of the forum and use the SEARCH function before posting anything.

Administrators and Moderators are having a hard enough time trying to keep down on these threads, let alone having to use up their valuable time telling members over and over again to be patient or do the obvious, this that and the next when they could be working on helping the rest of the Ship Simulator staff improve the website, forums and of course, the game.

The forum staff should be treated with the utmost respect, regardless of their age or however many posts they have. The reason they hold this position is because they are mature and have a lot of experience within the Ship Simulator community.

We all know you're excited for the latest additions to the game, but you really have enough in the game to keep you occupied unit then. We are all on these forums to enjoy ourselves and chat amongst other members of the community, so lets keep it fun!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 16:58:59 »

I used to like this forum.. Now it has become too childish at times..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:02:06 by saltydog »

larsdehaan

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 17:06:01 »

I do have to agree with you there salty

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 18:44:15 »

Administrators and Moderators are having a hard enough time trying to keep down on these threads, let alone having to use up their valuable time telling members over and over again to be patient or do the obvious, this that and the next when they could be working on helping the rest of the Ship Simulator staff improve the website, forums and of course, the game.

The forum staff should be treated with the utmost respect, regardless of their age or however many posts they have. The reason they hold this position is because they are mature and have a lot of experience within the Ship Simulator community.

Hello Nbryant,

On behalf of the Admin and the Mods I thank you for all that you have said. We look forward to having more mature members like you.

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

jim.smith

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 19:22:20 »

Rather than criticize our Mods we should thank them for all the help they have given us.If it was'nt for them it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to some of the problems forum members have encountered,including myself.Also their are some rather clever forum members who I take my hat off too.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 19:43:08 »

There are of coarse a lot of critiques about SSE, but I think people rather should be happy that there even IS a game! What would it look like of there was no SSE and VSTEP kept saying it will be released?  :-\
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

capt. jack richson

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 20:19:58 »

There are of coarse a lot of critiques about SSE, but I think people rather should be happy that there even IS a game! What would it look like of there was no SSE and VSTEP kept saying it will be released?  :-\

i think more time on development = more bugs and other things to encounter and fix
but no guarantee that after countless postpones the game wont technically and morally obsolete

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 22:43:07 »

For whatever reason, people seem to take their fustration with things out on mods and admins, not realising these mods do what they do out of their kindness and goodwill. They don't get paid for it, nor do they get any special priviliges. And as other people have said, humans, like bubbly things, get better with age.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 02:06:27 »

I personally try not to get involved in these topics, But:
now ime scared...

Fred, this post is indeed rude. Very rude. Consider thinking before you post.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:24:48 by dexter7 »
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 23:29:58 »

Age is path that one treads on the journey towards wisdom. Those younger members would do well to heed the wise words of those who have been, done, seen and worn the t-shirts long before you were a twinkle in the milk mans eyes.

On a serious point though, Angus. Respect is not a god given right- not even to a goderator; it must be earned. You have most certainly earned the respect of a great number of people here, not least of all me. To a degree I'd say the same applies to most of the goderators. But with the demand for respect also comes the responsibility to act in a manner worthy of such respect. Alas, I fear that I am not alone in observing that one member of the goderator team has somewhat fallen short of this responsibility.

(now they'll all scuttle off to decide which of them I'm referring to!)

EDIT: 01:58GMT. Reason: Haha, original post likely to offend and fairly obvious which plank I was referring to.

http://forum.shipsim.com/index.php/topic,27454.msg364544.html#msg364544
Question:
Who is the more intelligent poster with a better understanding of the situation?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:01:14 by Traddles »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 15:27:47 »

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,27454.msg364544.html#msg364544
Question:
Who is the more intelligent poster with a better understanding of the situation?

mvsmith, that is a ridiculous point he has made. I personally don't like your attitude- I'm sure a point that is reciprocated- but to suggest that your age is a factor is totally ridiculous. I'm sure that when people can peel away your attitude that you do indeed have a wealth of knowledge and many years of experience.

I may disagree with what you say, but I'll fight for your right to say it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 15:44:25 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

larsdehaan

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 15:33:27 »

well ime thinkin dat being rud aganst regular membrs iz wrong too
 nah just kidding but you guys know what i mean

Gab

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 15:42:40 »

Hello guys,

Everything started from someone sending off topic posts. Therefore, the topic was locked and therefore, 2 topics  were created, and finally the faulty member got banned... I think that is enough, the case is now closed.

Time to smile now :)

Gab
Rosenblatt Project

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 15:54:33 »

It is obvious from Stu’s last post that he did not read the one by Ralphy that was referred to in my link.
It is reply #2.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 15:58:58 »

Gentlemen & ladies,( Yes, we do have members of the fair sex.) the problem was about people on the Forum using abusive language and generally bad manners to EVERYONE not just Moderators. But patience becomes quite thinly spread at times when it continues. I think the message does appear to have registered with most folks, so as Gab says, shall we let sleeping dogs lie, please. Enough is enough. :-X

Traddles.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 16:00:25 »

It is obvious from Stu’s last post that he did not read the one by Ralphy that was referred to in my link.
It is reply #2.

Ah, well you didn't make that clear exactly what I was looking for. The OP insult to you was quite unacceptable.

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 20:22:06 »

That’s OK Stu,
I just didn’t want others to think that your remarks about zilverenmist’s ill-informed post were directed at Ralphy.
Marty

zilverenmist

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 19:51:35 »

mvsmith, that is a ridiculous point he has made. I personally don't like your attitude- I'm sure a point that is reciprocated- but to suggest that your age is a factor is totally ridiculous. I'm sure that when people can peel away your attitude that you do indeed have a wealth of knowledge and many years of experience.

I may disagree with what you say, but I'll fight for your right to say it.

All the best for this new year.
Sorry for the age remark; it was a response to an in my opinion biased solution.
The lawfull legal retirement age in Holland is set at 65, I may have overreacted in my response.

I hope with this information to have explained myself.
To understand this reply, a full reading of the CCC-What now?  topic is probably required.
I had no intention to insult or discriminate anyone.

Hope we can make a clean start in 2012.

danhill

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 21:07:21 »

On a serious point though, Angus. Respect is not a god given right- not even to a goderator; it must be earned.

This is very true, but I would like to point out that good manners, cost nothing and need not be earned. This is half the problem IMO, lack of manners.

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 22:17:19 »

former bad-manner forum guy here talking:

i was banned for my bad behavior, just saying that in this topic to illustrate the point of bad forum manners.

but i'm okay now. ;D
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines