Hello Guest March 29, 2024, 09:26:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The end of the world right around the corner - According to Harold Camping  (Read 16087 times)

Captain Best

• Forum member

So... Once again there's a "WORLD IS GOING UNDER" discussion.... And this comes from Harold Camping.

Harold Camping, 89, is the head of Christian radio network Family Stations Inc, heard on 66 U.S. stations and affiliates from Taiwan to Russia.

He previously made a failed prediction that Jesus Christ would return to Earth in 1994. But this time, despite having numerous skeptics even among mainstream churches, the broadcaster trained as a civil engineer says he is sure about his May 21 pronouncement.

Like his last prediction, Camping said this one is based on his reading of the Bible and a timeline that dates back to ancient events, such as the Biblical flood survived by Noah.

His organization and allies have posted about 2,200 billboards around the United States warning of a May 21 judgment day, said spokesman Tom Evans.

Dozens of followers crossed the United States in caravans of recreational vehicles to spread the news.

As for Camping, his precise plans are uncertain, but the broadcaster from Alameda, in northern California, intends to be with his wife that day.

"I'll probably try to be very near a TV or a radio or something," Camping told Reuters. "Because I'll be interested in what's happening on the other side of the world as this begins."

Camping said an earthquake will shake the Earth, and that true believers will be swept to heaven, while others will remain behind for the world's destruction in coming months.

"We know without any shadow of a doubt it is going to happen," he said.

T-SHIRTS AND MUGS

If May 21 is occasion for prayers among Camping and his followers, it's cause for humor and money-making for others.

At online retailer Zazzle.com, hip entrepreneurs are selling everything from t-shirts to coffee mugs and mouse pads emblazoned with the May 21 date and such slogans as "I survived Judgment Day" and "I survived the rapture."

Camping's prediction of a specific date for the apocalypse puts him outside the Christian mainstream, said university professors who study end-times belief.

But his contention that the souls of believers will leave their bodies and enter heaven in a rapture is a central tenet within many Christian churches in America.

"Christian believers who follow the rapture doctrine might be very surprised to learn it is entirely an invention, an innovation in Christian teaching, since the 19th century," said Stephen O'Leary, a communication professor at the University of Southern California, and an expert on millennial belief.

The idea can be traced back to John Nelson Darby, a Christian evangelist active in England and Ireland, he said.

Barbara Rossing, professor of New Testament at Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, is the author of a book called "The Rapture Exposed."

"There's an enormous end-times prophecy industry; video games, board games, books and evangelists on TV and radio ... they gain a huge following, and it's very appealing to people," Rossing said.

Evans, the spokesman for Camping, said at least several tens of thousands of people listen to Family Radio's message.

One of those is Allison Warden, 29, of Raleigh, North Carolina, who most recently worked as a payroll clerk for an Ohio company and now runs the end-times website Wecanknow.com.

"My boss does not agree with this but has been very understanding and supportive," she said. "He thinks next week I'll be back to work like normal."

What do you think?
Me personal think  that this is just a lie  :doh:
Watch video here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/19/us-apocalypse-prediction-idUSTRE74I3KS20110519

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Homer Simpson got there first...  :doh:

Ralphy

• Forum member

Oh noes!!!!

you have a sign saying the world is near...i have a sign saying it isn't!!!

What's going to happen to us all?? are we all going to die!!!!

I hope not...i have to cancel my free trial of McAffe soon otherwise they will charge me for it!

oceandream

• Forum member

end of the world
*bursts out laughing*
the world ends in 2012....pffffffffffff....people with stupid ideas and thoughts
My joghurt expires in 2013 :evil:

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

Ralphy

• Forum member

WOW! that is one long dated yogurt!!! my yogurts only last 2-3 weeks!!!

suzydavies

• Forum member

"T-SHIRTS AND MUGS" Especially mugs I think!

Matthew Brown

• Forum member

I stopped reading at: Harold Camping, 89, is the head of Christian radio network Family Stations Inc
People do anything for attention these days for example a group of religious people thought the world was going to end so they took a cruise to Bermuda with RCCL to warn everyone about it...
But the end never came so they all sailed back to New york  :doh:

Maybe everyone should do that  :thumbs:

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110412/NEWS/704129931/-1/news

Oh wait, I realized they also say it's going to end on May 21  :o ...

As always keep your eye on this map for anythig unusual...
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:07:35 by Matthew Brown »

• Forum member

THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END!!  :doh:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 22:14:04 by 2000 »
My New Favorite Ship Is The Zilver :D
2000  "Virtual - Safety Training & Education Platform"
This Game Is Epic

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member

I agree with Matthew. I also started to doubt when I read the word 'religious'.  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

axcbx2011

• Forum member

todays forecast is actually
Mostly Cloudy, 34 °C, 982.05 mb and steady, Humidity: 79 %, Visibility: 9.99 km, Wind: WNW 3.22 km/h,
sunset: 6:17 PM
no end of the wolrld here and actually quite pleasant weather

saltydog

• Forum member

Of course there is always a possibility of Earth being hit by an asteroid, like in the time of the dinosaurs..
The chances of that happening are small (and unpredictable).. :)

Matthew Brown

• Forum member

But what is predicted for today is a mass earthquake  ::)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member

Still waiting ::)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

dexter7

• Forum member

the end of the world is not today. and not for a very long time. it was guessed to be at 6:00 PM. but its 6pm somewhere and has the earth shook violently(or has an earthquake occurred yet)? no!

reasons to belive the world won't end today
  • Harold Camping predicted the end of the world in 1994 and nothing happened
  • there could be a flaw in his math
  • just because something bad happened 7000
    years ago today doesn't mean something bad will
    happen today
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

danny

• Forum member

Well, i'm dissapointed. They promised me the end of the world, and what do i get? nothing...  :doh:
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Technically there has been 7 earthquakes today...

6 yesterday...

10 the day before...

7 the day before that...

Ralphy

• Forum member

I'm glad the worlds not going to end for 2 reasons...

1. I havn't finished my GCSE's yet and i don't want the effort to go waste

2. Doctor who is on at 6:45

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

I'm glad the worlds not going to end for 2 reasons...

1. I havn't finished my GCSE's yet and i don't want the effort to go waste

2. Doctor who is on at 6:45
:doh:

I haven;'t seen th Spirit of Britain yet

or the Cap Finstere

thus the world cannot end yet... 8)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member

And I stll need to photograph some upcoming ships which will come to Rotterdam.  ::)
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

suzydavies

• Forum member

Fear not brethren, even Peter Cook and co predicted the end of the world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

So by the GMT... we have... 29 minutes to live...  :o

Well off to Dover SSE MP  ;D

Edit: 23minutes

to go...

but the workd has already ended... NO DOVER SERVER I CAN GO ON  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 17:37:50 by The Ferry Man »

danny

• Forum member

well, if i'm going to die, i'm going to do it the same way i lived... Playing SSE  :angel:

Edit :
I would make one, but i'm away from home so I don't want to go pushing loads of data through this connection

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Kind Regards,
Jack.

danny

• Forum member

Can that be set to count 11 mins?  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines