Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 12:34:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your realistic ShipSim 2010  (Read 26356 times)

rs

• Forum member
Re: Your realistic ShipSim 2010
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2007, 20:02:57 »

In my view the game can be improved in three broad areas:

1. technical simulation
2. graphical appearance
3. content

Simulation... big improvements needed, IMO right now it doesn't qualify as a sim. Rudder effect tied to engine RPM instead of surface speed? Stuff like this needs to be fixed pronto. Of course, more complex refinements need to be made as well. Ship AI is a major thing, they must not blindly run into you. Introduce training missions explaining the harbour rules, speed limits, right-of-way, navigation lights and buoys, etc. Rest of missions should then take those into account. More controls on the bridge - lights, comms equipment, added radar functionality, wall charts, anchor cables, etc. I try to only use first person and would appreciate several crew on each ship (depending on size), with visible avatars, between which I can switch - so I keep one on the bridge and walk the others to the bridge wings, bollards, wherever I need them.

Graphics wise the textures and interiors can use a big improvement. Interiors should look more authentic, together with instrument functionality mentioned above. Other parts of the ships need more texture/lighting details, and non-player ships like the yachts and sailboats are let down by low-res textures. Introduce nationality flags?

Content-wise... every environment should have its own water taxi, tug boat, ferry/tourist/passenger vessel and large cargo/tanker ship, all playable. Followed by half a dozen non-playable cargo/fishing vessels to make up the traffic. These should be ficticious (no license is needed) and have several texture schemes each so there's more visual variety. This content should be added retrospectively for the existing environments, which would fix NY and Cisco Bay being populated only by Euro ships. Perhaps in a 2010 version such environment packages could be marketed separately, i.e. you purchase the base game and you're allowed to download one environment package for it, after that the others cost extra? There's enough environments for now although for balance purposes maybe add one from Asia - perhaps Singapore?

Lastly I'd like more sound effects and ambience, circling seagulls, tricks like that to make the places feel more 'alive' even if there's no people visible.

I totally agree with all that!

shipfan55

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2007, 01:22:18 »

another thing they need... Third Party Addition Features!!!!frikkin cool if they did

Neelix79

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2007, 11:02:17 »

non player ship should able to sink as well. Once i saw npc hit some other ship enough to sink if it's real life but nope it just get under hull then pop out water and float away. I tried do same thing and i got sunk..... kinda unfair :-p
Non player ship could be stupid but still treat fair with real one

De Koning

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 21:31:27 »

Is it possible to make it able to ride with battleships? For example something like the Zeven Provinciën Class. here a picture:

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:01 »

Another nice thing would be you buy extra ships with money earnt. As time goes ships get older and more rusty soyou sell them to another person. Or even though sadder, you might sell it for scrap. At the same price you bought it.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 10:37:49 »

Another nice thing would be you buy extra ships with money earnt. As time goes ships get older and more rusty soyou sell them to another person. Or even though sadder, you might sell it for scrap. At the same price you bought it.
Greetings,
The idea is good,but how will a company make some money than.Making vessels is a time consuming thing,modellers need to be payed.I think it's not realy realistic.
Regards
Marc
N

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 10:47:25 »

A career mode.

You could choose with what you start, and then you build your self to the top.
Like; you choose freight, and you start with the inland ship and you build yourself to the top till you are at the lattitude.
You choose tug, you begin with the rope boat and you end with the fairmount sherpa.

And so on ...

And while in career mode, you learn handling the ships. A voice tells you how to manouver the ship. And when you know how to manouver the ship, you could start your own company.
Buy a small ship, and with the money you earn, you build yourself up by buying bigger ships.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 11:06:45 »

Greetings,
The idea is good,but how will a company make some money than.Making vessels is a time consuming thing,modellers need to be payed.I think it's not realy realistic.
Regards
Marc

If you have added this to the forum for the Virtual Sailor game then the forum members would jump on you ;D
Because for them it's all about freeware.  :D Nice to see that some here have a good view of how hard this modeling work can be ;)

De Koning

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2007, 22:17:19 »

I also would like to see is the environments of the port of Singapore and Hong Kong.

Vini

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2007, 14:55:41 »

I think it would be lovely to have some locks and bridges that
open when come across, just some environmental action. You
can go along building environments and ships but if there's
nothing to do it will get boring. I now have ship simulator 2008
Furie and Elbe edition and sailing at sea is really cool, but when
I come in the harbor of Rotterdam there is nothing to do, I can't
moore where ever I want, and I can't sail into Maassluis, because
the locks won't open. It's really a great game, but when you sail
your ship, something has to happen.

Greetings;
                Victor

De Koning

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 22:42:41 »

I think it would be lovely to have some locks and bridges that
open when come across, just some environmental action. You
can go along building environments and ships but if there's
nothing to do it will get boring. I now have ship simulator 2008
Furie and Elbe edition and sailing at sea is really cool, but when
I come in the harbor of Rotterdam there is nothing to do, I can't
moore where ever I want, and I can't sail into Maassluis, because
the locks won't open. It's really a great game, but when you sail
your ship, something has to happen.

Greetings;
                Victor

and, you can't pass the Erasmusbrug with the P&O Ferry.

indianplatys

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2007, 15:11:50 »

Hello I'm new here. But i whant to se Stockholm in the next Ship simulator. That woud be nice.

Vini

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2007, 22:09:05 »

and, you can't pass the Erasmusbrug with the P&O Ferry.

That's logical, because a P&O ferry is to big ;), but at the side of the Erasmusbrug is a bridgepart which can be opened for real so why not in the game.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2007, 22:20:47 »

I want to see more fictional companies so I can get some competition ;)

Signguy

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2007, 02:30:22 »

i think a career mode would be awsome. starting at the bottom and working up from there.
as for enviroments well i would love to see the Port of Halifax in the game

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 05:18:56 »

i for one would love to see the Very Slender Vessel(VSV)Mary Slim

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 08:33:13 »

I dont know if this realistic.
My idea is:
If you start the game on your computer,all the vessels you play will have your logo.This way you dont have to make somany vessels,we can recognize them by the logo on the bow or funnel.
This means,if i steer the vermaas,and you to.Yours will carry your logo,and my vessel mine.
It gives a differces in the game.
Regards
marc
N

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2007, 12:49:04 »

there should be an online shipsim, where you have an career, and you have to work from the bottom to the top.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 11:24:47 »

Greetings,
Idea is good,however how do you see this idea,how would it work?
Give some info.
Marc
N

indianplatys

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2007, 18:11:54 »

i think a career mode would be awsome. starting at the bottom and working up from there.
as for enviroments well i would love to see the Port of Halifax in the game
Yeah that woud be very cool!

sam009

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2007, 19:29:12 »

wouldn't it be great to sail from the Greek harbour of Patras (Patrai) to Corfu and than to Igoumenitsa and so to Venice with one of the Minoan lines, Anek lines, Blue star, ...

In Ship Simulator that's actually something I dream of...

A ship like, for example, the minoan lines, where you can open or close the bridges for the cars and passengers, a much more complicater towing, mooring system.  And with a verry nice interiour.

I know this all will be verry difficult to make, but 1 ship and those 4 harbours allone will be enough for me to buy it.

Ship sim 2008 is for me allready a simulation game that's, for now, one of the best.

Regards,
Sam

De Koning

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2007, 21:00:34 »

Yes, you´re right, but it would be cool if you had a online game mode with a carreer mode. Then would it be possible to recognise each other. Great idea!

FREDMD2000

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 22:50:59 »

How about some improvements in the navigation area.  Like being able to plot a course and getting more feedback like time to waypoint etc.

mvsmith

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2007, 23:32:59 »

FREDMD,
The ability to plot a course is one of many things required if the “long ocean voyage” capability is to have any real purpose. As it stands now, waypoints cannot be moved or created while in missions. This means that the navigator cannot make corrections when, in the words of Cap’n Ron, “Stuff happens”.
A true ocean transit sim would have weather systems that moved along tracks like AI vessels, along with a way to see them on the RADAR/Chart. The navigator would re-plot in order to avoid them.
You can make waypoints in free roam, but that mode offers only limited ability to do anything else.
The mission editor gives you great flexibility in plotting courses, but they can’t be modified during the mission.
I hope you eventually get what you want, but implementing it in the present SS is far from a trivial task.
Marty

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2007, 13:48:51 »

If you have added this to the forum for the Virtual Sailor game then the forum members would jump on you ;D
Because for them it's all about freeware.  :D Nice to see that some here have a good view of how hard this modeling work can be ;)

With respect, since you are always having a sly comparison between VS and SS... WHY are you HERE? If VS is so good?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines