Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 14:05:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardly 'Fit for purpose'  (Read 14340 times)

hjl

• Forum member
Hardly 'Fit for purpose'
« on: October 05, 2010, 22:40:07 »

I think it's so sad that SSE has been released so early in it's development. The reputation of Vstep must have been badly damaged by this Simulator which is not 'fit for pupose'. It's not a patch on SS2008 and in many ways is a backward step. The advertising was so misleading I'm surprised no one has taken them to court. It seems that Vstep have just taken everyone for a ride and just expect to get away with it. I'm sure that Computer Magazines and TV programmes will give them the slating they deserve on our behalf.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Hardly 'Fit for purpose'
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 22:48:18 »

Hjl,

The simulator might have been released a little prematurely but all in all most people who bought Ship Simulator 2008 will know that VSTEP will fix the game with patches. I mean the game has been out less than 2 months and already two patches have been released. You tell me a company that does that?

You also say about the misleading advertising of the game. I know of plenty of games which also have done the same thing, whereby the trailers and screenshots look completely different to that of the actual game. In all fairness the game was tuned down for performance, which was a decision VSTEP had to make, which was for the best.

However I do understand your frustration with the game, and there are still many elements which are still buggy and/or missing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 22:50:36 by Captain Spencer »
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 22:56:40 »

The advertising was so misleading I'm surprised no one has taken them to court........ I'm sure that Computer Magazines and TV programmes will give them the slating they deserve on our behalf.

Like the TV programma I was just watching, that was constantly interrupted by adverts, from MacDonalds where the burgers are never like they are shown on TV, phone companies that assure signal coverage I never seem to get in reality, laundry detergent that never gets my washing as white as the lady in the commecial has hers, and many more of such things that all seem so very different in reality and..    hmm what was my point again,.. something about advertising?   hmm...

Anyway never mind that... just being a tadge sarcastic, sorry.  ;D

You do have a valid point though. And Vstep would have gladly seen it have gone a bit differently. But, there's no going back in time, only forward, and they're working very hard to produce many more fixes and even create new features, so that the expectations will be better met.

Did you install patch 1.2.2 already? That holds a lot of fixes already!

Fred.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 23:45:31 »

Hi hjl,
I see that you started off with SS2006 and then went on to play SS2008, you will probably remember that when SS08 came out it had a few issues, (as most software does), but Vstep kept on supporting the product until they had produced a very good ship simulator.
I think that you should look on the positive side. Vstep will continue to support SSE and release updates for it, (BTW have you installed the new update, version 1.2.2 available at shipsim.com or automatically updated if you have the Steam version?).
The potential is huge for this simulator. They have listened to what players want and when the mission editor is released I think you will see some really challenging missions appear. Would you want to miss out on that?

SSE is power hungry and so, if you were thinking of upgrading your computer, then you should keep that in mind.

As I said above, SS08 was updated often, (it eventually had version 1.4.2), and ended up as a good simulator. SSE will be the same or better. Vstep are constantly looking at this forum and trying to resolve problems posted by users.

As Captain Spencer said, the game is still buggy, but I think that it will end up a lot better than SS08.

Edit; the version number.
Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

hjl

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 16:07:07 »

Sim is up-to-date, but I'm just disappointed with SSE. It promised such a lot. I will be hanging on for any upgrades though, and not giving up.

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 16:40:46 »

i sure this has been asked but why change the entire game engine..why wasent ss08 just upgraded..the water couldnt have just been added to the old game and leave everything the same?(im not a programmer so i dont know) i see now stuff that was in the old game that worked fine dosent work so fine now..such as ai in free roaming like type of thing im not complaining just wondering? ive been very happy with the upgrades though love the ship movement and new dynamics like on rough seas that you dint have before

Dooberry

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 19:28:12 »

Bottom line this sim should not have been released in the state it was! There really is no excuse or reason the developers can give to cover this!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 20:01:51 »

But it was, and you can't change that so there's only two things to do. Reasons háve been given, excuses are irrelevant. So do one of two things;

1) stop playing, return it and get a refund.  (If you haven't waited too long that is, and spent all the time you had to reasonably quickly return it for a refund, ranting about it.)

2) Trust in the coming patches to fix the problems so that the game becomes worth playing for you.

There's nothing more to it, and you pretty much made your point on a dozen occasions I reckon, and it won't change no matter how often you repeat yourself.

Regards,
Fred

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 20:06:48 »

i sure this has been asked but why change the entire game engine..why wasent ss08 just upgraded..the water couldnt have just been added to the old game and leave everything the same?(im not a programmer so i dont know) i see now stuff that was in the old game that worked fine dosent work so fine now..such as ai in free roaming like type of thing im not complaining just wondering? ive been very happy with the upgrades though love the ship movement and new dynamics like on rough seas that you dint have before

At one point, software reaches a dead end where you cannot upgrade it to the next level of technology that the current computers offer without a complete overhaul or a start from scratch. Then you have to make something new, or you're left behind.

Regards,
Fred

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 21:18:04 »

At one point, software reaches a dead end where you cannot upgrade it to the next level of technology that the current computers offer without a complete overhaul or a start from scratch. Then you have to make something new, or you're left behind.

Regards,
Fred

Gotcha  ;) 

siegfriedphil

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 21:30:48 »

This game is terrible.  For starters, both patches have fixed nothing....even the demo runs like ****.  The game either was hastily beta tested or not beta tested enough.  We have been waiting for two years for this game, and it runs like it was thrown together in two months time.  This is the first ship sim product I have not been satisfied with.

- Edited for language - Fred
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 21:35:04 by Mad_Fred »

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 21:50:23 »

It works very well for me, actually never had any problems except for some bugs taken care of by the latest update. So I'm happy with the game :)

But it runs better on some systems than others. On shipsim boards people agree that it seems to perform better on AMD systems.

siegfriedphil

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 17:49:53 »

As I said yesterday, this game is terrible at the moment.  For starters, the game was not beta tested enough.  What they (VSTEP) probably should have done was had more people from all over the world beta test the game on different types of computer systems (I mean computer systems from early 2008 to present.  If you have a system older than that, then it's time to get with the times and upgrade :lol:).  I personally think that VSTEP took a huge gamble releasing the game as is, considering the state of the economy and the fact that people are being careful with their money.
Don't get me wrong though.  I DO believe that VSTEP can and will eventually create a patch that will fix all of the problems; it is just going to take some time to get the patch out

msdejesus

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 18:25:00 »

It works very well for me, actually never had any problems except for some bugs taken care of by the latest update. So I'm happy with the game :)

But it runs better on some systems than others. On shipsim boards people agree that it seems to perform better on AMD systems.

Runs fine for me. I am using an intel cpu, btw. If you want to check it out, I have uploaded some hd vids to YT:

http://www.youtube.com/user/msdejesus (there are a bunch of RW vids also, but if you scroll down you'll find them SEE vids).

It's not perfect, but I must say I have enjoyed it since I bought it and the latest patch has made it a bit better. Let's give the developers some time.

Regards

Manuel
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 18:45:41 by msdejesus »

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 18:48:19 »

Those are impressive videos msdejesus. Makes it very obvious that SSE has excellent graphics and very "fit for pupose". Your Trainz ones are likewise impressive.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Dazzle MN

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 19:33:25 »

I must admit I would agree with the more negative opinions, the game has a very long way to go before it should have been released to the public, I will be lucky if it is working properly before I leave again in December.  I would swear to show my annoyance at this but it would be corrected and infuriate me further.
Merchant Navy Deck Officer
MNTB Ambassador

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 19:48:51 »

Ahoy msdejesus,
Just one question:
Did you made the video about Double Trouble prior to the v1.2.2 patch or after the patch?
The reason I'm asking is that after the patch 1.2.2 I only have smoke instead of smoke and flames when a vessel is on fire.
Kind Regards
Aad
<edit
PS
I just noticed that the video was made on sept. 3rd, so prior to the latest patch.
I'm wondering if the invisiblety of the flames is a result of the patch, or is there something wrong with my graphic display?
end edit>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 19:52:48 by Aad The Pirate »
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 04:52:46 »

I think I have complained enough about this game(but most often also included a solution of what I have complained about).

But the argument that there is so little Ai-traffic in the missions, the one that few persons should have enough powerfull computers, seems to be something someone have created to have an excuse. Many games have more advanced graphic settings, so the player can choose what he/she like to include. After the new update came, with Ai-traffic in free-roaming, so do I think/guess there is another reason for that. I think/guess that the game engine can not handle a big amount of Ai-traffic. I of cource hope I am wrong, but after seeing how the ships behave in free-roaming so is that guess not so far away.

Also that the graphic have been tuned down cause of Ram use, do I consider as a little good excuse. If Vstep had worked a bit longer with the game so could they have created a choice for the person who use the game. They could for example have give more options to choose to use or not to use. As an example, on my old computer so did I had Formula One game, in the options I could choose if I liked to have the video wall turned on or of. On that old computer so did I needed to turn them of to make the game run smoothly, but on the newer computer I can use them. Vstep could have made choises like that in SSE. But it may will come.

And to you moderators, I still do not understand why you always compare with companies and games who have made a worser job?. When I was working so did I always compared me self with them who were better than me so I one day could reach that level.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

VesselMate

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 01:47:17 »

I think I have complained enough about this game(but most often also included a solution of what I have complained about).

<SNIP>

And to you moderators, I still do not understand why you always compare with companies and games who have made a worser job?. When I was working so did I always compared me self with them who were better than me so I one day could reach that level.

I have to agree with this comment. Why compare to companies that are offering a worse product?? In my opinion, it should be compared to better products as something to aspire to and work toward. The attitude of 'well there are worse products...' is not one that Id expect from a Company Moderator.  :o Thats just me though.

Ive yet to meet anyone in person who hasnt had serious issues with this SSE release- including the latest patches and updates. In fact, after the latest patch, a lot of problems got worse, problems that werent present before are now appearing as well as unresolved former issues. Im sure there are a lot of people who ARE happy with the release, but... yeah I think the point is made.  :)

From what Ive heard from my friends who use this product- they'd be simply happy to hear VStep say: "Yes, we dropped the ball on this one. We apologize. Period." --minus the comparisons to substandard products. And of course to finally get a product that works without all the errors would be nice too...
 :thumbs:

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 13:42:48 »

For your information VesselMate, I have not had a single major issue with the game. Not one crash, nor any serious issues that have left me unable to play the game that wasn't the fault of my own machine being underpowered.

So you can count me as your first ;)

Also we do not compare this game to games which are worse. This is because for this particular type of game this is simply the best out there at the moment. You can't compare flight simulator to this game, because flight simulator is just that!

Ohh and before anyone pipes up and says about Slient Hunter, same situation with that. It's a battle simulator, not a ship simulator :)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 15:57:05 »

For your information VesselMate, I have not had a single major issue with the game. Not one crash, nor any serious issues that have left me unable to play the game that wasn't the fault of my own machine being underpowered.

So you can count me as your first ;)

Captain Spencer, then I wonder which version of the game you have?
You must be the first one without any errors in the game. Do all Ai-traffic in free-roam run perfect for you? When you save the game and load the saved one you have never had any problem? There were lifeboats on Orient Star(before the update)?

Or you may ment that your game have not crashed, and you did not include the bugs and errors as them I brought up here? If that is what you ment so do I understand, my game have only crashed ones, but there have been other errors which are deffently nothing to do with my computer.

And about the comparing thing, you say you moderators are not comparing the games with them who have been worser. Now is not my memory the best, cause of an accident when I was working, but I have read moderators saying that other games have been much worser than SSE, that I can remember and I am 100% sure about it. You are right that you have not compared it with a specific game, but some of you have said that other companies have also made misstakes. One also used Windose as an exampel of a program which needs updates. But we maybe talk abotut different things here, it is easy to missunderstand persons on internet forums and that is great to have in mind.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Dooberry

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 19:16:03 »

But it was, and you can't change that so there's only two things to do. Reasons háve been given, excuses are irrelevant. So do one of two things;

1) stop playing, return it and get a refund.  (If you haven't waited too long that is, and spent all the time you had to reasonably quickly return it for a refund, ranting about it.)

2) Trust in the coming patches to fix the problems so that the game becomes worth playing for you.

There's nothing more to it, and you pretty much made your point on a dozen occasions I reckon, and it won't change no matter how often you repeat yourself.

Regards,
Fred

Just out of interest dear FRED, have you sucsessfully got a refund through steam before?? If not i would suggest you stop baiting anger and at least try to be a bit more supportive in your role as administrator in these forums, yes i may have made my point over and over but guess what? that's my god given right to do so! Why don't you spend more time backing us up instead of sticking up for a company that has misslead?? oh thats right you must get paid to!!! Hope the pay is worth it mate. It looks as though i have no choice but to wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NcCI4eH9M

Kindest regards as always.

TerryRussell († 2012)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 20:23:59 »

Just out of interest dear FRED, have you sucsessfully got a refund through steam before?? If not i would suggest you stop baiting anger and at least try to be a bit more supportive in your role as administrator in these forums, yes i may have made my point over and over but guess what? that's my god given right to do so! Why don't you spend more time backing us up instead of sticking up for a company that has misslead?? oh thats right you must get paid to!!! Hope the pay is worth it mate. It looks as though i have no choice but to wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NcCI4eH9M

Kindest regards as always.

Dooberry,

Oh dear. Do you have it all wrong! The good people who so kindly donate their time to running this forum DO NOT GET PAID. They are volunteers (except for Pjotr, Mark, Frank and the occasional Developer who post here).

So Fred very kindly donates his own time to making this place work. Same with Traddles, SadSid, MVSmith and all of the other Moderators.

Now you may have a "god given right" to complain about the Extremes product. But you do NOT have that right to hurl mud and insults at the wonderful folks who make this forum run. I suggest you take a deep breath and reconsider your comments. Not nice at all...

coryt415

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 21:25:38 »

alot of "worser" is that a word? lol :lol:

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 22:17:54 »

Support is freely given where it is due. I would also point out that we moderators have quite broad shoulders and have had far worse insults thrown at us in what is commonly called real life.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines