Hello Guest April 26, 2024, 03:58:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardly 'Fit for purpose'  (Read 14367 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: Hardly 'Fit for purpose'
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 23:41:11 »

I think you can skip the "kind regards as always" addendum, Dooberry (at least untill you mean it)  ;)

VesselMate

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 07:42:18 »

Also we do not compare this game to games which are worse. This is because for this particular type of game this is simply the best out there at the moment. You can't compare flight simulator to this game, because flight simulator is just that!

Im sorry, I have to say I disagree. I have witnessed the comparison a few times in these forums over the last while...

I note you make mention of game to simulator. Which one is SSE supposed to be; a game, or a simulator? They are not one of the same. Flight to sailing- there are a surprising number of similarities on how it would run. Simulator to simulator- they are exactly the same thing, so in all fairness, I DO believe making the comparison is a fair platform. The only difference is ship vs. aircraft. A moving object in a real-world environment. Moving object relies (or is supposed to) on real-world physics and handling, etc.

Either way, it appears that the entire point of my post was missed. Oh well.  :doh:

<<Item of Curiosity: if Ship Simulator cant be compared to Flight Simulator, then why does Ship Simulator (VStep) use the same type of title font for the game- almost identical to Flight Sim??>>

jibemorel

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:29 »

<<Item of Curiosity: if Ship Simulator cant be compared to Flight Simulator, then why does Ship Simulator (VStep) use the same type of title font for the game- almost identical to Flight Sim??>>

It's for business purpose, though i know you knew the answer.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:03 »

VesselMate,

I'm not going to get into a discussion about it, but the game (or simulator if you prefer!) is still the best piece of domestic software out there that provides as close to reality as any other. So I still stand by what I said. I'm am not of course saying that by my expectations that this is the best, as there is still a lot to do to make this into a simulator, but then again remember the price for this?

If you would like a true simulator and not a 'game' then I suggest to go and purchase Nautis :)

Also you cannot compare both flight simulator and ship simulator because of the font. I'm sorry but that is just simply splitting hairs!  ::)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 09:53:18 »

Apples and pears.. ;)

flaviossa

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 23:30:56 »

If you would like a true simulator and not a 'game' then I suggest to go and purchase Nautis :)

So, i suggest change the name of the software to something more like it´s reality as "Virtual Sailor", "Ship, The game", or something like that ....
Names apart, I join the people that don´t focus it´s worries if the game is a "mega simulator" or what. I join the people that wants a complete game, working at least.  :thumbs:
ShipSim 08 / ShipSim Extremes
Win10 Pro 64 - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H100i - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - EVGA GTX1080 SC - TrackIR 5 - SSD 960Gb + 480Gb Hyper X 3K

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 23:51:25 »

"Virtual Sailor" is taken by what some might consider a rival naval simulator, and "Ship: the Game" seems too much like it could be confused with another game, "The Ship."

flaviossa

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 23:58:18 »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just suggestions ...
Win10 Pro 64 - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H100i - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - EVGA GTX1080 SC - TrackIR 5 - SSD 960Gb + 480Gb Hyper X 3K

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 23:59:53 »

Both highly flawed ;) :P

flaviossa

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 00:04:28 »

Ok them "SHIP SIMULATOR" it is!!! 
people don´t understand a joke anymore ....  :lol:  :lol:

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 02:46:23 »

I find this discussion very interesting...it is almost like I can't wait for 2011 to read more drama than this. It is almost like I can smell the "Doom of VSTEP"..lol! Thumbs up to everyone participating in this thread  :2thumbs:

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:49 »

JHB,

Your comment is not a good idea in a thread like this as it could be throwing coal on the fire so to speak ;)

If we don't keep this thread friendly and pie-free then I will close it ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

PoRL

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 15:04:43 »

Let's call it "Ship Flight Simulator Extremes"!!!  :evil:

(Yes, it's a boat up there...)
On my boat, the crew's job is to make the skipper look good!

Esprit350

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 20:08:49 »

Did the Administrators, Moderators, etc, Beta test SSE.  If so I suspect they did not have to fork out their own hard earned cash to get this poor product.  This makes it easier for them to continually defend it and V-Step.
If in front, you see red and green... take a chance and go between!!!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2010, 20:14:13 »

Do you think the many hours a day we spend here free of charge woun't ammount to a little more than 40 euro's over all this time? We could spend that same ammount of time doing actual payed work aswell, if we so choose.

So we put in a whole lot more than a regular customer, actually!  ;)

We stand up for what we think is the case, from having seen the work involved, how hard it can be, and we believe in these people. And if we're not happy with something, we don't post it on the forum, we give constructive feedback directly to Vstep. After which we see them working very hard to adapt and improve the game.

Fred.

Esprit350

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2010, 20:25:08 »

Didn't mean to offend Fred, but you do this work because you enjoy it, otherwise you wouldn't do it.  I'm sure you must feel frustrated by a product you like/liked, now being flawed and upsetting a lot of people who have paid for a Simulator that they were promised would be great, and it isn't.  If your reply implies that you did not have to pay then my comment still stands.
If in front, you see red and green... take a chance and go between!!!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2010, 20:45:06 »

But your comment is flawed, that's what I was saying. We dont post what we post cause we got a free game.

And I wouldn't be offended, don't worry. Just putting it in the proper context.

We don't just moderate the forum, we also indeed test, and such. Not just cause we like the work.. but also because we are fans of the series, and like the people at Vstep.

And sure, we have our opinions, complaints and frustrations too. But you hardly see us post about them, so it gives a single-sided perspective of the staff sometimes.

And as I said, we 'payed' for the game in our own ways. Cause do you think that - for example - getting hatemail from people that mistake you for Vstep employees is enjoyable to be answering? It's not all fun and games you know.   :)

Fred

* typo
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 20:50:42 by Mad_Fred »

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 21:32:23 »

And sure, we have our opinions, complaints and frustrations too. But you hardly see us post about them, so it gives a single-sided perspective of the staff sometimes.

Fred, by saying this I think you explained a lot, at least for me. Now it seems like you and other of the administrators/moderators like the game a lot as it is and that you are fully satisfied with the product with the bugs and errors included. But I suppose that even you do not like that boats are flying for example, I suppose that you would like this ships behave like ships normaly do. If you once said that even you are not satisfied with this less persons would think that you are paid by Vstep.

And as I said, we 'payed' for the game in our own ways. Cause do you think that - for example - getting hatemail from people that mistake you for Vstep employees is enjoyable to be answering? It's not all fun and games you know.   :)

I for sure understand you, but this is one of the consequenses of the above.

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 21:37:38 »

wiqvist,

What Fred is trying to say is that we don't think the game is perfect as such (although it's not that bad either), but we don't post on the forums like other users.

This is because we can tell VSTEP directly about our thoughts and bugs ect. We provide VSTEP will our constructive critism so they can fix the problem :)

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 21:59:59 »

Captain Spencer, then I think we two have the same meaning of what Fred ment, what you are saying is how I understood Fred also. And my answer to him was how I see the consequenses of that behavior.

Did you thought I understood it in a different way than you?

Sorry wiqvist, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
If you cannot show respect, and keep acting like a troll, then you're not allowed to po

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 22:10:48 »

Hi wiqvist

Well I did and do openly post that I have reservations aswell, now and again. Those posts do exsist.  :)

Of course we as staff aren't happy with bugs either, just like you aren't. And neither is Vstep, obviously. That is why everyone involved, including the volunteers like us, are doing their bit to get that all sorted out. Forum staff relays the reports and findings of the customers that post about problems and also often help test the game. Vstep's working very hard and long hours to get things patched up according to all these findings, etc...

None of us would say 'it's fine like this, keep it as it is' of course. Ships shouldn't fly. Ships shouldn't bounce off a dockwall at 40 knots when the impact was only with half a knot. That's obviously not ideal... yet.  ;D

Fred

wiqvist

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 22:48:38 »

Fred, this is the first time I read a post from you which do not include "a lot of possitive things" about the game and Vstep(and of cource so have I not read all your posts). And if you had added a bit of what you said here in posts where you answer persons who complain about the game, I think less persons have send you "hate-mails". What I tried to tell you was that by not saying what you now said, you put your self in a situation where many persons think that you work for Vstep and support them what ever they do. So I hope that as many members as possible will read your last post, and most will then understand thay you are not paid to "support" Vstep.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 00:07:37 »

Well, I never implied working for Vstep, we are volunteers and I have always expressed that when people made the mistake, to be honest. If people care to read properly, and do their homework, they need never jump to conclusions.

It's not my fault if people make that mistake, or jump to other conclusions based on what they wish to read into something. They just get a polite reply and that's that.  :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 00:13:31 by Mad_Fred »

Gelas

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 01:02:06 »

I Have to say that so far I have not been impressed by SSE. I have tried so far 3 of the core campaigns and, they all had bugs in them ( and before you ask....yes I have the patch ). Same goes with the free runs. You touch another ship, you never know how your ship will react...Either nothing or it jumps out of the water and starts shaking as if it was a cat dropped in boiling water....Tried the middle of the ocean in hurricane force wind, and the ship started flipping over like a pancake...Strange thing was that, even with large waves and hurricane force winds, there is no spray? It looked like it was calm. One of the selling points of the game is supposed to be the realistic environments? The idea was great. But so far, I have not seen any improvement over SS 2008. Lets hope the patches will sometime fixe most of the bugs. Until then it will sit unused on my hard drive....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines