Hello Guest April 16, 2024, 22:43:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what to do  (Read 3601 times)

bman0501

• Forum member
what to do
« on: August 20, 2010, 17:09:37 »

I want the game so bad and theres so many options. 1  best buy.com has a record that they are out of stock I went to best buy they said the online order was out of stock cause they dont have and they said call on its release day but I want to know if the store will have the shipment by then. 2 there is a guy on ebay but he cant have it yet because its not released yet so i wont recive the 27th . 3 I could pre-order of ship sim .com boxed version and I want to recive it the 27th. 4 downloaded version I can get it the 27th but I will get a laptop later this year and i want to trasfer but people say you can but  I dont understand fully how to. which sounds best 1 , 2 , 3 , or 4.

all opinions matter thanks

BTW i live near bet buy so if you live in U.S. help my best buy situation please share your opinion

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 17:12:06 »

If you buy it from www.shipsim.com (downloaded version) you WILL be able to download it again, if you got a new computer and such.
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 17:32:06 »

If you buy a Download version, you are allowed to burn the downloaded file on a blank DVD-rom (for personal use, of course), so you can install the game later on another computer - I add my personnal advice, that laptops are not the best choice to run 3D games, it will be either very expensive, or not enough powerful to run games with a high quality/performance ratio.

You still can keep the download installation files on another external storage - USB key, external hard disk, or whatever. And, as Tomaten said, If you buy the download version, you'll be able to redownload the game as many times as you want.

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 18:18:40 »

If you were to order, or expect to get from Best Buy, the boxed version, I doubt that you could receive it on the 27th. There are quite a few manufacturing steps to be performed at the pressing plant before the box can be shipped:
After the Gold Master file(s) arrives at the plant, which, so far as I know, has not yet happened, a metal master has to be cut.
From the master, a polycarbonate disc is pressed in a manner analogous to the way LP records are pressed. Actually it is more like injection molding.
The surface of the disc with the binary pits must be made reflective by a metallization process.
Then the disc is laminated with a protective layer and the artwork is printed, usually by serigraphy.
Next, the disc goes into a case along with a label bearing a serial key, and into the box for shipping.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 18:28:49 »

If you were to order, or expect to get from Best Buy, the boxed version, I doubt that you could receive it on the 27th. There are quite a few manufacturing steps to be performed at the pressing plant before the box can be shipped:
After the Gold Master file(s) arrives at the plant, which, so far as I know, has not yet happened, a metal master has to be cut.
From the master, a polycarbonate disc is pressed in a manner analogous to the way LP records are pressed. Actually it is more like injection molding.
The surface of the disc with the binary pits must be made reflective by a metallization process.
Then the disc is laminated with a protective layer and the artwork is printed, usually by serigraphy.
Next, the disc goes into a case along with a label bearing a serial key, and into the box for shipping.

:-\

That doesn't sound good for me...  :(

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 19:00:23 »

:-\

That doesn't sound good for me...  :(

Not if it’s just one guy doing everything!
Fortunately the process is highly automated. The first discs could ship within a day of the arrival of the GM. A lot depends upon available capacity in the plant, which does not stand idle while patiently waiting for the GM.
Unless Paradox has their own plant, they will send it to a general manufacturer such as Technicolor (in North America). Such plants have a backlog of much larger orders for the latest blockbuster movie, and capacity usually needs to be booked in advance. That could cause problems for a publisher if the release date slips.

bman0501

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 19:18:40 »

so laptops arnt good for this game

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 19:22:07 »

so laptops arnt good for this game

In general, laptops are not good for games  :)

bman0501

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 19:24:58 »

can you explain that denis

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 19:34:16 »

Sure.

1. At the same level of performance (same CPU,memory,video card), a laptop will be a lot more expensive than a desktop
2. You can't easily (or can't at all) change some parts of a laptop to upgrade it (CPU, video card ...)
3. Running games will need a lot power, and will make a laptop overheat
4. Laptops have more little screens
5. If you buy a desktop, with a good screen, when you change the computer you don't need to pay additionnal charges to change your screen too

And so on ...

Unless you really need a laptop (ie something easily transportable), you'd better buy a desktop ! Specially if you plan to play games with it !

bman0501

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 19:37:28 »

well I want it to play portable somtimes so what would my best laptop option be ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines