Hello Guest April 20, 2024, 16:42:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic's Horn  (Read 21923 times)

Aaron1927

• Forum member
Titanic's Horn
« on: August 28, 2007, 01:31:33 »

I don't like the sound of the horn on Titanic.  Is there a way to change a file and replace it with 'the real Titanic's horn'?

Audio of Titanic's Horn recovered

http://www.menet.umn.edu/~bob/photo-album/titanic/titanic.mpg

---------------

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Titanic's Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:55:37 »

I thought the horn was awesome on the Titanic!!

Shame you don't think so  :'(
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:50:02 »

yea thats whats on Titanic now.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:02:55 »

Horn sounds the exact same as that.

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 06:19:16 »

no diffrens  :-\
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:58:35 »

I think the titanic horn sounds great. But the sounds of some other boats sound just rubish ???

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:20:09 »

I think the titanic horn sounds great. But the sounds of some other boats sound just rubish ???

I agree.

Titanic's horn is the real thing.

Britannic

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 14:46:39 »

Titanic's horn IS great, especially next to Vermaas's (No offence, Vstep!)but I think I can also see what the starter of this thread is getting at. Ever since I heard it in the ss06 trailer vid It sounded good-but it also sounded a bit 'off'. I think the problem is that it starts wrong and the sound is too alternating-its sounds like a fowler steam wistle going while its covered in water from the safety-but Titanic's wouldn't have been affected by this. It just dosn't sound 'dry' enough. And trust me, Ive been listening to steam wistles and horns since I was 3 weeks old. (Steam Rallys). Though I do admit I havnt heard that many Ship wistles, so I could still be wrong! Anyway, Whether its the way the game interpretes the format or what, and it seems trivial, almost pointless to mention a little thing like this so let us never speak of it again! ;D

Thanks, Sky.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 14:49:27 by Britannic »
When Ive finished Media college Ive got many desired jobs, one being; Simulator making!

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 04:45:46 »

I don't like the sound of the horn on Titanic.  Is there a way to change a file and replace it with 'the real Titanic's horn'?

Hey, you got a point, if you acualy listen carefully that acualy sound more like the acual whisle :o

---------------

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:07:11 »

Greetings,
Yes,i love that horn to,and seen him.Question:is that a replica of the titanic's horn?
Creating the sound of different horns,it has been on this forum before.
My idea is:
People who have a keyboard,are realy in the possision to make this happen.
Than record it with "Audacity"program,and you can make a file,which you can send to anyone(Vstep)
Regards
Marc
N

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:37:39 »

YES IT CAN BE DONE

It can be done, you need the editiong program called "WAVE PAD PRO not FREE", please can VSTEP make that the horn for the Titanic.I only have the free edition and i can not do it unlses i buy the pro version from here, we need some's help here, titanic would have never sounded better

https://secure.nch.com.au/cgi-bin/register.exe?software=wavepad&source=software
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:46:15 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 13:07:10 »

Greetings,
Yes,i love that horn to,and seen him.Question:is that a replica of the titanic's horn?
Creating the sound of different horns,it has been on this forum before.
My idea is:
People who have a keyboard,are realy in the possision to make this happen.
Than record it with "Audacity"program,and you can make a file,which you can send to anyone(Vstep)
Regards
Marc

I DID IT, I DID IT! ;D ;D, i am ready to send it to VSTEP for the next part so we can put it into the game, could you give me the adress.OH MAN I CAN FEEL IT!

Regarding,

Third Mate

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 13:29:40 »

Hello Third Mate,
A nice proposal indeed, but the sound contained in the sound pack that you could have downloaded on ShipSim site is probably good enough. Did you already try it, I think you will like it?
Regards,  :)
Luc

mvsmith

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 15:29:11 »

Third Mate,
If you are going to send that sound anywhere, it should go to TerryRussell or to Mad_Fred. They are the ones who produce the sound packs for Ship Simulator. I doubt VSTEP would do anything with it; they have more important things to do.
Marty

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 23:12:33 »

Hello Third Mate,
A nice proposal indeed, but the sound contained in the sound pack that you could have downloaded on ShipSim site is probably good enough. Did you already try it, I think you will like it?
Regards,  :)
Luc

Indeed i did, but the soundpack did not contain a new horn for the RMS Titanic but many great othe horns wchich covered a major ammound of ground(ships), and many of us wanted a better horn for the Titanic itself.Were still experimenting, but at the momment this is as close as we came, so we(I) will use this one.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 23:13:28 »

Third Mate,
If you are going to send that sound anywhere, it should go to TerryRussell or to Mad_Fred. They are the ones who produce the sound packs for Ship Simulator. I doubt VSTEP would do anything with it; they have more important things to do.
Marty

Alright sure, ill contact Mad_Fred or Terry as soon as possible and well have an update later on.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 23:39:32 »

The ShipSim one and the one in the vid are identical.

HOWEVER, neither are are how Titanic would sound in 1912. This is because both whistles were blown with less pressure than the original due to fear of breaking a part of Titanic's wreck. A salvaged part at that.

This means the original whistle would have given off a higher pitch.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 23:44:59 by RMS Gigantic »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 00:39:45 »

Indeed, the one in the game is the same horn as the one shown in the video, but it's a bit better sounding in  the game, actually. It also depends on your audio equipment of course, but I think it sounds perfect allready.

It might not be the same as in 1912, indeed, but I think it's about as close as anyone is going to get. So in this case I'd say the Titanic horn is as good as it gets, the way it is ingame at the moment. And this is why Terry and I both thought we should leave that one alone.  :)

The game one actually does have a slightly higher pitch, which would be more realistic, and some 'rumbling' in it, which I would think adds towards realism too, as opposed to the one in the video that is blown with air instead of steam. That's just my view of it.

I think the game one is better, but that's a matter of taste, as much as a matter of authenticity, I guess.  ;D

Regards,
Fred

* edit * typo
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 00:52:32 by Mad_Fred »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 00:40:29 »

The ShipSim one and the one in the vid are identical.

HOWEVER, neither are are how Titanic would sound in 1912. This is because both whistles were blown with less pressure than the original due to fear of breaking a part of Titanic's wreck. A salvaged part at that.

This means the original whistle would have given off a higher pitch.

I did it, this horn may be low pressure but it just sounds better(bit or maybe more), anyway for the big moment here it is, a new horn for The Royal Mail Steamer Titanic, the only thing here is that the horn is at a low pitch(deeper,little bit) and to me it makes it feel more original, but it depends of what you like.

Sorry file too big (761KB), please send me a PM with your e-mail address if you would like the new horn as soon as possible,expect delays if there are too many requests but i will reply back .
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 01:35:26 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Reece

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 03:57:24 »

Hi Third Mate, just go here: http://www.mediafire.com/
Click on the browse button to point to your file, then press the large green button to upload it, once it is uploaded a box will appear on the lower left with the download link, just copy & paste to this thread. ;)
Sub captains go down with their ship!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:50 »

Would it be possible to attempt to rebuild the more than 4 foot tall whistles?

There were 2. One was on each of the first 2 funnels. the back 2 were mock ups made for asthetics, not unlike the ship's 4th funnel.

Reece

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 04:49:22 »

Would it be possible to attempt to rebuild the more than 4 foot tall whistles?
Yes & wouldn't it be awesome to see the steam as well when sounded! ;D
Devs please read & say "Yes we will do it!" :D
Sub captains go down with their ship!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:03 »

I made a horn for you guys, that like "this" one, with an INSTALLER! I FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE AN INSTALLER!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:57:27 by Agent|Austin »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 07:23:30 »

Hi Third Mate, just go here: http://www.mediafire.com/
Click on the browse button to point to your file, then press the large green button to upload it, once it is uploaded a box will appear on the lower left with the download link, just copy & paste to this thread. ;)

Yeah sure, make sure you crack up your speakers a bit.Its very close to the acualy thing but, its in a low pitch that all, its very hard finding the acual thing since it may have never been blown ed at actual pressure(high pitch)

Here http://www.mediafire.com/?0t540xjd9cd

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:25:18 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 08:06:52 »

The horn on Titanic is a recording of the real one from the forward funnel of Titanic, they recovered the set and refubished them to their original state. Then they sounded whistles before an audience of thousands (St Paul 1999) and as far as i know, the recording was either taken from there and edited or the whistles were sounded again but for say online use or in this case SS08.

You can listen to the real set of whistles here.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=C6vdR5Hp91Y

Remember if this was the recording used in the game, it would have been edited with software to take out background noise and to enhance it more.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines