Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 16:10:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Extremes Requirements Discussion  (Read 50234 times)

Firestar

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator Extremes Requirements Discussion
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 04:01:54 »

Thanks for getting that over with Fred, but is the 3.0Ghz single core? dual? etc
Ah, yes sorry Fred.

I got slightly confused, I was just referring to the Gigabytes on my laptop.
Once I uninstall SS08, then it will give me back those gigabytes so I can play SSE a bit more efficiently, with a faster speed than if I were to have both games installed at the same time  :doh:
That of course will speed up my system ever so slightly  :thumbs:.

Kind Regards

Matthew
The more space on your hard drive will not affect the speed or efficiency of SSE. Uninstalling SS08 will not make a difference to SSE.
Oh dear, I have a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, should I be safe? and I only have 3.25 GB's on XP SP 2  ???
Matt, are you out of your mind? SP2 is no longer even supported, and a LOT of programs require it now.. :P better update soon.

@Tractorman, a Pentium 4 processor is only available in single core, so, single core is the answer. :)

Kristian01

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 09:12:49 »

I have no problems with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, GTA 4 and NFS Shift so SSE would be working I think :P
Intel Core i7 2600K, @ OC 4.2GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
MSI GTX 580 TwinfrozerII
MSI P67A-C45
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Corsiar GS800 (800W)
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T. 7

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:07 »

The more space on your hard drive will not affect the speed or efficiency of SSE. Uninstalling SS08 will not make a difference to SSE.

No, but say I installed loads and loads of software.
Video converters, photo editing software etc. And my computer said I only have a  very small amount of Gigabytes left.
I would not be able to install SSE let alone run it!  On my old pc it was the same story, I had a mass of stuff installed and it was making SS08 so slow to play (Lag), so when I uninstalled all the stuff I didnt need it ran much faster  :thumbs:

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2010, 12:52:28 »

Very interesting thread guys.

A few months ago I decided to upgrade my PC and couldn't wait for the official SSE specs to come out.

I had a funny feeling the quoted 2.4 GHz at the time was a bit optimistic, giving the stunning screenprints of SSE and thought "hmm, that would need plenty of CPU juice", so I went for an Intel i3 540 which has 3.07 GHz core. Luckily it looks like I just meet the minimum specs for processor speed.

I have 8Gb RAM installed and it looks like I was lucky with the graphic card as well - I bought a Nvida 8800GT two years ago - so I don't need to upgrade my graphic card.

Good to see SSE supporting either 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2010, 13:11:29 »

No, but say I installed loads and loads of software.
Video converters, photo editing software etc. And my computer said I only have a  very small amount of Gigabytes left.
I would not be able to install SSE let alone run it!  On my old pc it was the same story, I had a mass of stuff installed and it was making SS08 so slow to play (Lag), so when I uninstalled all the stuff I didnt need it ran much faster  :thumbs:

Matthew, it sounds like some of your program starts automatically in the Task Manager when you switch on your laptop. Unknown to you, they will be 'running' in the background even though you've not opened the application.

As a result your laptop's memory and CPU is being used unnecessary. You can close down these programs when you do not need them. That should then free up some of RAM and CPU.

You can also change the settings in the Task Manager to stop the programs from starting automatically every time you start up your computer - simply right-click on one of the programs and you should see an option menu and uncheck the box which says "Run This Program at Startup" (or something like that)

The only programs which I always allow start up automatically are my Anti-Virus and firewall programs - they are really important programs which should be always running at all times.

Hope this helps
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 14:45:13 »

Very interesting thread guys.

A few months ago I decided to upgrade my PC and couldn't wait for the official SSE specs to come out.

I had a funny feeling the quoted 2.4 GHz at the time was a bit optimistic, giving the stunning screenprints of SSE and thought "hmm, that would need plenty of CPU juice", so I went for an Intel i3 540 which has 3.07 GHz core. Luckily it looks like I just meet the minimum specs for processor speed.

I have 8Gb RAM installed and it looks like I was lucky with the graphic card as well - I bought a Nvida 8800GT two years ago - so I don't need to upgrade my graphic card.

Good to see SSE supporting either 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

As I said before, your CPU is way above the required specs, believe me.

MokMok

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 20:53:22 »

I have a PC with an AMD Phenom II X3, 4 Gigabyte Main RAM memory and Windows XP Sp3. My videocard is Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT. Would this PC configuration be enough for Shipsim Extremes 2010?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 22:54:01 »

I should probably think so. :o Even though it's a little under.
Almost never here, try here.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 23:57:27 »

Hiya guys

How is it under?  ..seems fine to me, to be honest..  ;D

Regards,
Fred

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 02:56:04 »

The video card is probably quite under - the Geforce 8800 GT is not exactly the newest model, but very powerful. The Geforce 9400 GT is a bit newer, but at the lower end.

But as for SS08 it stresses the CPU more than the video card, so maybe you are lucky. And video cards in the required class (evt. second hand) are not that expensive. I've got a 9600 GT 1 MB (two levels higher than the 9400 GT (bought for 40 Euro - new), and I have my doubts that it will be enough.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:31:07 by krytsch »

Firestar

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 04:53:16 »

Hiya guys

How is it under?  ..seems fine to me, to be honest..  ;D

Regards,
Fred

Fred, are you allowed/do you know whether or not SSE will support hyperthreading?

John1000

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 17:25:51 »

ugh i only got a 2.0ghz and 4gb

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 17:38:08 »

Fred, are you allowed/do you know whether or not SSE will support hyperthreading?

http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,19021.msg262809.html#msg262809   :thumbs:

Firestar

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2010, 01:43:36 »

Interesting. This should mean more efficient running..

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2010, 22:12:03 »

Ok guys, question, if i have 3gb ram (vista) and a 2.3 GHz quad core processor (note the quad core) and a nvidia 9800 GT graphics card, will this game work on my pc smoothly? I ask because ive been to a very good computer store and they say that with my quad core, if the game takes all of these processing units into account i should be able to produce more power than 3.0 GHz ..what do you guys think (vstep staff welcome to reply ;) )

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2010, 22:19:44 »

** merged in **

Ok so, i'm making this so we can all put the information we know into this one post and not forever spam the forums with new ones.

We all know the requirements on the product page by heart now i'm sure, so lets talk about what we know about these.

From what i have gathered, ship sim 2008 only takes into account one core of multicore processors thus slowing the game if you perhaps have a 2.3 QUAD CORE processor because the game only looks at one part of your processor, does anyone know is this goes for SSE? I'm assuming the official system requirements is referring to a single core processor?

Now, the graphics card is pretty simple Nvidia geforce 8800 or above, am i right? (with correct memory)

And from what i have heard RAM is good on the requirements, frank from vstep has said on a post that the reuirements there are to run the game reasonably well, and not bare minimum, therefore i see no problem in the RAM.

Feel free to post any questions to here and lets hope people reply :)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 23:01:44 by Mad_Fred »

Riddip

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2010, 22:54:47 »

i doubt that there is no multi cpu support at all. dual cores are the standard since years...

Would be nice to know if SLI is better supported. In SS2008 it is working, but i have the same performance with 1 or 2 8800gt cards (at least i can use the second card for a nice high AA mode :) ).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 23:00:22 by Riddip »

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2010, 23:01:28 »

Hi gents,

I don't think we should split up the whole requirements discussion into two seperate topics.

Any further discussion about what the posted and explained specs come down to, can also be done in this very topic, so that all the helpful tips, answers or further information stays within the same topic, where people have easier access.

It also will prevent raising similar questions in both topics.

So I have merged the topcis into one and taken the 'query' bit out of the title, to make it an allroound topic to discuss the system requirements.

I trust you understand.

Cheers!

Regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 23:03:14 by Mad_Fred »

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2010, 23:06:08 »

ok so if multi-core processors are most likely supported with a quad core 2.3 GHz processor i should have no problems, am i right? because even 2.3 x2 is 4.6 so i should be ok yes? and with a nvidia geforce 9800 GT i also am fine? :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2010, 23:11:23 »

Yup, you should be good with those specs, indeed!

It also comes down to how tou maintain your pc, and your use of various software counts too. But on bare specs, you are in the green, yup!  :thumbs:

i don't think you just go 4x 2.3Ghz with a quad core.. Tough I am no expert, but it should do just fine.

Regards,
Fred

Twistedlordi

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 23:15:29 »

Thanks Fred, you've really cleared things up for me :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2010, 23:47:09 »

You're very welcome!  :thumbs:

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2010, 00:00:49 »

Yup, you should be good with those specs, indeed!

It also comes down to how tou maintain your pc, and your use of various software counts too. But on bare specs, you are in the green, yup!  :thumbs:

i don't think you just go 4x 2.3Ghz with a quad core.. Tough I am no expert, but it should do just fine.

Regards,
Fred

Yes, that's correct, we cannot multiply by 4 or 2, just because the CPU "doesn't work" like that. However, I must say that your CPU is above the minimum specs :thumbs:

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 00:38:52 »

If the game really does support individual threads over multiple cores like it was stated/hinted at some time ago (even hyperthreading for those of us with HT-capable CPU's), it's not too far off thinking "number of cores" times "speed of core", as each core would then work at its speed with its own thread or part of the game.

I just really really hope I get my GTX470 returned in time after it stopped working the other day, or I have to play SSE with a 7800GTX  :-\

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2010, 01:41:34 »

If the game really does support individual threads over multiple cores like it was stated/hinted at some time ago (even hyperthreading for those of us with HT-capable CPU's), it's not too far off thinking "number of cores" times "speed of core", as each core would then work at its speed with its own thread or part of the game.

I just really really hope I get my GTX470 returned in time after it stopped working the other day, or I have to play SSE with a 7800GTX  :-\

Yes, it's not, but it's not correct too, because it's a bit more complicated than that. The only thing we could say, is that two cores may do the work in half the time, if we split the work in half. Each core operates in its own frequency, and the CPU its not the some of all frequencies, but the some of all cores working together.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines