Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 14:44:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Extremes Requirements Discussion  (Read 50233 times)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Ship Simulator Extremes Requirements Discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 11:47:14 »

Hi guys,

Well.. my dxdiag says I have a 2.7Ghz processor.

However, it's an i7 core 920, so it's a heck of a lot faster than a 3.0Ghz P4 processor.

And that's how you have to look at it, I reckon. The 3.0Ghz mark is for a P4 equivalent.

If you have a newer generation cpu, that does 'more with less', so to speak, then your entry in the Dxdiag is not comparable, one on one, with the 3.0Ghz pentium 4.

Fred

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 11:52:18 »

OK, that sounds better,

thanks Fred  :thumbs:

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:45 »

Fingers crossed then! Thanks for the info  :)
It's the crew that makes the difference

abcabcabc5000

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 17:07:11 »

But I really doubt the requirements listed on the main site. I mean, it is almost the same as SS2008 ???

In my computer, FPS may fall close to 30 in 1080p and 8XAA, so with the new physics system and that beautiful sea model, SSE's requirements are still close to SS2008 ??? ??? ???

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 21:03:15 »

I don't know, But I think my PC meets some or most of the requirements. What do you all think? DxDiag attached.
I'm afraid to say you don't meet any of the requirements for SSE, not in the cpu, ram or graphics card :-\

matt5674

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 21:41:20 »

Dang. The thing is, my family didn't have enough for a stronger PC that meets the requirements. I'll try to work with it.

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:15 »

Hi all,

Thought I'd shed some light on this discussion...

The system specs as posted on http://www.shipsim.com/products/shipsimulatorextremes are the confirmed specs on which the game will run well, with a good framerate and nice visuals.
The most important aspect is not to stare yourselves blind on that 3GHz CPU. Most important is the RAM memory and 3D videocard you have. If you have sufficient RAM and a good 3D card, you will be able to play it well, even if you do not have a 3 GHz but something just below.

It is always difficult to communicate system specs, as pc's are so very different and everybody has a different configuration. We noticed that the first system specs we posted would give problems on some systems, so we decided to put in a safety margin and communicate system specs that will allow you to play the game the way it is supposed to, with good visuals and framerate.

It is really not uncommon for system specs to change during development and we hope to have informed you well in advance. These specs were updated quite some time ago on the official game page, although I do admit that it might have been given some more notice on the forum as well. My apologies if you guys missed that.

Anyway, the reason to post correct system specs is to make sure you are not dissapointed when buying the game. There are many other games out there that post below minimum specs only to have people be dissapointed AFTER they have cashed out for the game. We don't want to do that.

Hope you understand,

Frank

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 12:12:56 »

Okay, thanks very much for your response Frank

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 12:18:10 »

So is it better to have more or less RAM? I have 3GB

krytsch

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:10 »

Thank you for this statement!

I do agree with your attitude to keep the requirements at a safe level.

Frank_VSTEP

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:58 »

So is it better to have more or less RAM? I have 3GB

More is always better of course, but 3GB is ok.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:34 »

Ah thanks for that Frank, and thanks for the statement, as krytsch, its better to be safe and in the green

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 17:23:21 »

2.15GHz, not good :-\
Almost never here, try here.

Capetan Thanasis

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 13:54:48 »

Hi Frank
I think another clarification is necessary. Is requirement of 3.0 GHz CPU referred in single-core processors or multicore ones? Does SSE exploit multicore processors or not?
Thank you
Best Regards

Thanasis

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 14:00:58 »

Hi Frank
I think another clarification is necessary. Is requirement of 3.0 GHz CPU referred in single-core processors or multicore ones? Does SSE exploit multicore processors or not?
Thank you

Has I stated, SS08 exploits dual core CPUs, probably SSE would too, or at least it makes sense. From the website, it says 3.0 P4 or Pentium 4 which is a single core CPU, so 3.0 is for single core, not dual core. I would like to say something, just to clarify. Today we have different types of Dual Core CPUs: Pentium D, Core 2 Duo, Core I3 and Core I5. For example, you cannot compare a Pentium D 3.0GHz with a C2D 3.0GHz, mainly because they are based in different architectures, and off course, the C2D will be much better. You also should consider, other important facts like cache, hyper-threading, physical cores, compatible memory RAM etc. And I am talking about Intel only, we have AMD too. Hope I helped guys. :2thumbs:

2.15GHz, not good :-\

What CPU do you have?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 16:09:59 »

AMD Turion Dual Core RM-72

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 17:45:37 »

AMD Turion Dual Core RM-72

Its not very powerful, but its better than the 3.0GHz Pentium 4 from the req. specs. If it is enough? Maybe, but the graphic card/RAM is very important too.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 17:51:45 »

Better? You've got to be kidding me :o

I have 4GB RAM (Vista only recognises 3GB)

My Card is an NVIDIA Geforce 8600M.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 17:53:33 »

You could be scraping the barrel then McGherkin..

Nathan|C

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 17:54:25 »

I have 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), 3GB of RAM (Windows XP), with a Nvidia N240 GT (512mb). Everything seems to be above the specs given, apart from the 2.66GHz, so i'm hoping it will be ok.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 17:55:36 »

I have a 2.6 Quadcore, hopefully I'll be ok, everything else seems to be ok.. 3GB ram.. Nvidia Geforce 9500GS..

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 23:13:18 »

That's not how it works, I am afraid, Matthew.

Uninstalling games does not 'give back' anything. Games only temporarily use the resources they need.

SSE will need more than SS08 needs. A 3Ghz processor for starters. If your machine has a 2.0Ghz processor and it runs SS08 fine, then you're just lucky that the rest of the configuration allows for this.

But it doesn't mean that SS08 'uses up'  0.4Ghz of what the internet says you should have, and returns this to you if you uninstall. It can mean that maybe there's more than one hardware configuration possible with your type/brand laptop. You better trust the dxdiag, and dont go by what a website tells you. Your own computer knows what it has onboard.

You'll need a minimum 3.0Ghz P4 processor for SSE, so you can pretty much forget about that with a 2.0Ghz cpu, I am afraid. This games will up the ante quite a bit, compared to SS08's minimum requirements, as you can see. And you need to have that whole set covered, pretty much. There's always a lucky few that can run just under specs, but I wouldn't count on it if you're too far below them.

But just so you know, installing and/or uninstalling games does not change how fast your CPU is, or how much RAM you physically have installed in your machine. It only used resources when it runs, but never changes any of your hardware specifications.

Regards,
Fred

Ah, yes sorry Fred.

I got slightly confused, I was just referring to the Gigabytes on my laptop.
Once I uninstall SS08, then it will give me back those gigabytes so I can play SSE a bit more efficiently, with a faster speed than if I were to have both games installed at the same time  :doh:
That of course will speed up my system ever so slightly  :thumbs:.

Kind Regards

Matthew

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 01:35:00 »

Oh dear, I have a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, should I be safe? and I only have 3.25 GB's on XP SP 2  ???

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 02:18:48 »

Oh dear, I have a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, should I be safe? and I only have 3.25 GB's on XP SP 2  ???

Yes, probably. However, I don't have the minimum idea of what type of graphic card will the game need. The CPU should be enough, mainly because powerful games like Crysis runs with it, or Battlefield Bad Company 2. I never tested the game, (I would like to... ;D), but when it came out, we will see.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 02:55:17 »

Oh dear, I have a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, should I be safe? and I only have 3.25 GB's on XP SP 2  ???

You really should upgrade to SP 3..  Microsoft recently no longer supports SP 2..

http://www.informationweek.com/news/smb/hardware_software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225800007&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 03:03:06 by saltydog »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines