Hello Guest March 28, 2024, 20:49:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like to see a character in walkthrough mode?

Yes
- 42 (71.2%)
No
- 17 (28.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character in Walkthrough view? [POLL]  (Read 4045 times)

Mattaust

• Forum member
Character in Walkthrough view? [POLL]
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:30:46 »

I believe that this little feature could fit into their development they might already have it but it doesn't look like they have it.

Can we finally have a Character at the Helm that we can see in orbit view? Also i believe it would be nice to have a character in Walk through mode, especially in multiplayer so you then can see where the captain is on the ship.

Would you like this little feature?

clanky

• Forum member
Re: Character in Walkthrough view? [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:46:45 »

Autopilot FTW.

Does this really need a poll?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 13:02:44 »

Autopilot FTW.

Everything needs a poll...  :doh:

We have guys in T-Shirts... what more do we need... :doh:

OK a empty bridge is slightly disturbing - a visible captain/crew would be a nice touch...

though technically aren't you the Captain...

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 13:17:45 »

Autopilot FTW.

Nav mode FTW.  :doh:
It's the crew that makes the difference

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 13:18:18 »

though technically aren't you the Captain...

But where is the look out?  :P

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 13:27:34 »

Nav mode FTW.  :doh:

I have worked on a few ships with nav mode and standing orders have always forbidden it's use.  IMHO rightly so.  The triumph of technology over seamanship.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 14:13:37 »

I don't think it would be bad.

But to be honest, I don't really care about features like this.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 14:32:06 »

I have worked on a few ships with nav mode and standing orders have always forbidden it's use.  IMHO rightly so.  The triumph of technology over seamanship.

It's as safe as the person that's operating it right?  ;) If you are clueless how the system works and what it will do, it can be really dangerous. But isn't that the problem with more of the modern technology?

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 16:12:55 »

It's as safe as the person that's operating it right?  ;) If you are clueless how the system works and what it will do, it can be really dangerous. But isn't that the problem with more of the modern technology?

The big issue with "nav mode" or "track mode" is that if a ship is on traditional autopilot then the officer of the watch has to make a conscious decision to change course which will (should) automatically prompt him / her to think through the operation first, simply accepting an alarm which will allow the computer to change course, especially when there are other things going on does not require the same amount of conscious thought and is more likely to lead to an accident caused by a ship changing course at an inappropriate time.

Having been at sea for a few smokos now I have sailed with mates (and engineers) of various levels of competency (and despite the stereotypes nationality is not always the key factor), anything which allows the further erosion of bridge watch-keeping standards (or engine-room watch-keeping standards) can only be a bad thing in my opinion.

Matthew Brown

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 17:19:15 »

Personally, I would prefer not to have a character, it defeats the object of a simulator in my opinion!
To see a little man walking around, I like being "my eye" view to view the scenarios  :thumbs: But other Bridge staff possibly yeah  :thumbs:     Maybe while were at it, we can see if its possible to add a pilot that comes aboard when you call the port  :o  :doh:  Lol probably not!

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 17:42:10 »

So effectively we've agreed that we don't want to be represented by a character, but we do want to see people on board.

We already have that  :doh:
Almost never here, try here.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 17:55:35 »

So effectively we've agreed that we don't want to be represented by a character, but we do want to see people on board.

We already have that  :doh:

Where?

The bridge of PoR/RE/RJ4/F90/... Are all bare

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 17:57:05 »

just dotted around, not necessarily on the bridge.
Almost never here, try here.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 19:08:44 »

i think there should be a person representing where you walkabout cameara is, you dont see it walking you only see it in the outside view, that could mabey be a bit hard to do that but i think VSTEP could do it

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 19:22:36 »

The big issue with "nav mode" or "track mode" is that if a ship is on traditional autopilot then the officer of the watch has to make a conscious decision to change course which will (should) automatically prompt him / her to think through the operation first, simply accepting an alarm which will allow the computer to change course, especially when there are other things going on does not require the same amount of conscious thought and is more likely to lead to an accident caused by a ship changing course at an inappropriate time.

Having been at sea for a few smokos now I have sailed with mates (and engineers) of various levels of competency (and despite the stereotypes nationality is not always the key factor), anything which allows the further erosion of bridge watch-keeping standards (or engine-room watch-keeping standards) can only be a bad thing in my opinion.

Those navigation aids shouldn't affect your awareness or the method of watchkeeping, but that would only happen in a perfect world..  ::)

Mattaust

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 23:05:11 »

i think there should be a person representing where you walkabout cameara is, you dont see it walking you only see it in the outside view, that could mabey be a bit hard to do that but i think VSTEP could do it

That's exactly what i want, also with the multiplayer as i said above you can see where the captain is on his ship. I dont want to see him when i'm walking around by myself as i like the 1st person view already.

Getting the point everyone else?

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:31 »

That's exactly what i want, also with the multiplayer as i said above you can see where the captain is on his ship. I dont want to see him when i'm walking around by myself as i like the 1st person view already.

Getting the point everyone else?

Completely agree!
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 07:25:28 »

Well i would like to see the ferrie,P&O,and Red funnel lines,with some passengers in the seats and standing up?On the decks of other vessels,yes some seaman are wanted.howmuch?Look at the size of the vessels.Offcource,i know that you cant put several hunderds on the P&O ferrie,and on the Red Funnel ;)
marc
N
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines