Hello Guest September 14, 2024, 23:19:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic has been Reborn!!!!  (Read 7230 times)

pmillett22

• Forum member
Titanic has been Reborn!!!!
« on: August 23, 2007, 23:19:15 »

Titanic has been under construction. Set to sail ON April 10, 2012. A memorial service will be on April 15, 2012, as it reaches the point of titanic's sinking. I wish the best of luck to her maiden voyage!!! She will finally reach harbor 100 years later.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ThomasAndrewLine/project.html

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: Titanic has been Reborn!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 23:23:22 »

I did hear something about this a few years back.  I was under the impression from what I heard at that time, that the idea was slated.  Apparently due to relatives of the people who died in the original sinking objecting to it.

I guess they have decided to do it after all ???

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

shipfan55

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 23:31:32 »

wow!unfortunatley here in tenesse,well,that uis just plain far away from where theyll luanch it , right?

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 23:33:41 »

I guess, but i plan on going. Don't care if i have to sell everything i own. I have been a titanic fanatic for my whole life. this would be a dream come true for me.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 23:50:06 »

Sounds amazing. The only thing is, this is the first that I have heard about it. It has not been on the news and looks pretty fake to me. There are no official reports (please post them if I am incorrect).

Seems a bit fake for me but it would be incredible to see her again and actually be able to go and visit her.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 23:58:18 »

yea it does seem to good to be true, and like DJM said, why would the relatives of the people who died in Titanic want to see that ship again.

strassenkreuzer

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 00:14:04 »

What do you pay for a coal fired transatlanticride in a 3rd class cabin? Im sure a lot more than in a first class cabin on a cunard liner...

Do you really want to ride in a 3rd class cabin today?

Can you find a captian for an open bridge?

can you find coaltrimmers???

I think you cannot built a ship with standards from the last century. Its the same like you want to use a Ju52 for regular airservice today. Its uneconomically and uncomfortablly.

But if you build ships in this beautyfull design, that would be cool, not the exact copy.
Wer andern eine Bratwurst brät, hat ein Bratwurstbratgerät.

shipfan55

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 00:15:51 »

well,i modified the titanic from VS gold edition and turned i into the olympic and i canot describe how awesome this model is,max knots:30

pmillett22

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 00:27:54 »

What do you pay for a coal fired transatlanticride in a 3rd class cabin? Im sure a lot more than in a first class cabin on a cunard liner...

Do you really want to ride in a 3rd class cabin today?

Can you find a captian for an open bridge?

can you find coaltrimmers???

I think you cannot built a ship with standards from the last century. Its the same like you want to use a Ju52 for regular airservice today. Its uneconomically and uncomfortablly.

But if you build ships in this beautyfull design, that would be cool, not the exact copy.

In case you haven't read, It will be UPGRADED to today's standards while keep interior and exterior the same.
May be longer but will be a lot more SAFER!!!

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 00:59:01 »

In case you haven't read, It will be UPGRADED to today's standards while keep interior and exterior the same.
May be longer but will be a lot more SAFER!!!

I heard about this project 10 years ago; it's been proposed when the movie Titanic by James Cameron was filmed. Anyway actually that article says:
The Ship will be steam powered, just as Titanic was, fueled by coal.
Pretty far from today's standards... which makes me think it's a hoax.
Ciao,

Corrado

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:13:00 »

I've got a feeling this probably is a hoax, otherwise it would be made official and would be all over the news like wildfire. Probably just some nutcase trying to be funny. Whoever it is though they could have made it a bit more believable by getting a better website  ;D :D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 09:04:50 »

Whoever it is though they could have made it a bit more believable by getting a better website  ;D :D

That's what i thought :D

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 12:23:52 »

This is just screaming  "fake fake fake" so loud that I had to cover my ears while reading it.

1: The site is hosted on "angelfire.com" (www.angelfire.lycos.com: Get your free web site"

2: email: thomasandrewsline@yahoo.com. Yahoo, another free thing.

You would believe that a company who is about to buy a billion euro ship would be able to spend a few euros for a desent webpage.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 14:48:58 »

i would agree its fake, its just screams fake like Al Bundy said. I have never seen it on the news or read about it, and like Al Bundy said, if the company is building a billion dollar ship you would think they would spend some money for a good website and e-mail.

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 04:22:47 »

http://www.put.com/gigantic/
This site summarizes the many schemes to build Titanic, R/M Humongous, or whatever.
It also has a good discussion of the impracticality of those schemes.

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 22:31:59 »

I dont think this will happend, and it is not a good idea.
It also sounds unrealistic to use coal and steam..

The best idea is to build a Titanic hotel, just like the real ship with no modifications, and will be available for everyone and not so expensive.

BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 22:34:01 »

There are still operational steam trains. Not just for show either.

Jeffers

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 22:46:42 »

There is another site that claims to be a project to sail a replica of Titanic here - http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/replica.htm
As you see, this one was supposed to sail on the 90th anniversary in 2002, and obviously didn't happen.
I don't think any of these sites are genuinely going to get another Titanic sailing any time in the foreseeable future.

Monkey sailor

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 18:49:43 »

There is another site that claims to be a project to sail a replica of Titanic here - http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/replica.htm
As you see, this one was supposed to sail on the 90th anniversary in 2002, and obviously didn't happen.
I don't think any of these sites are genuinely going to get another Titanic sailing any time in the foreseeable future.

You are right! None of those sites dont look offical >:( Even i can make better  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Monkey Sailor :D

saken41

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 15:45:40 »

Titanic has been under construction. Set to sail ON April 10, 2012. A memorial service will be on April 15, 2012, as it reaches the point of titanic's sinking. I wish the best of luck to her maiden voyage!!! She will finally reach harbor 100 years later.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ThomasAndrewLine/project.html

I knew Titanic II would be built someday :D, I have heard about this too :). Finally, 100 years later she will reach her goal :D.

shamen20

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 16:54:26 »

i think its a hoax.
you would need a lot of capital and facilities to even think about building such a ship , and there would be a huge blaze of publicity to begin raising the capital for such a project .
in the article there is one statment that makes no sence as well , if modern construction laws prevent the ship fit out with wood then how can you bulid the interior from wood and coat/treat it with a fireproof material ? its still build of wood and therefore against regulations!!!!!!!
also you would have the slight impracticality of obtaining coal , and the nessesary support vessels/ loading facilities for coal , not like you can go down the local coal merchants and grab a couple of bags of it , your talking lorry loads and lorry loads of it , much easier to have a modern engines and disguse it as coal fired and have smoke generators for external effect.
the titanic also had one very major design flaw, the rudder was far too small to allow adequate steerage , how would this be overcome without changing the design?

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 18:29:13 »

the titanic also had one very major design flaw, the rudder was far too small to allow adequate steerage , how would this be overcome without changing the design?

I am curious: Why do you think the rudder was "far too small"?

shamen20

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 20:02:58 »

Its a well known fact that the rudder , in relation to the size and number of screws was very small. dont forget the titanic had three screws , but only one post mounted central rudder behing screw no 2 , thus no matter what way the rudder is facing a minimum of one screw is completely unaffected by the rudder . Its the rudder that divers the prop wash in a given direction to move the ship stern sideways . basically a third of the ships power is not being directed , if the ship had had a second or even three rudder system all the thrust would be used to turn the ship.

Al Bundy

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 21:50:36 »

Its a well known fact that the rudder , in relation to the size and number of screws was very small. dont forget the titanic had three screws , but only one post mounted central rudder behing screw no 2 , thus no matter what way the rudder is facing a minimum of one screw is completely unaffected by the rudder . Its the rudder that divers the prop wash in a given direction to move the ship stern sideways . basically a third of the ships power is not being directed , if the ship had had a second or even three rudder system all the thrust would be used to turn the ship.

So in your opponion a ship is "under ruddered" if it does not have a rudder behind every propeller? You are right that if all propellers had a rudder it would have been more effective/overeffective but that does not mean that it was underruddered.

No it is not a well known fact that the rudder was too small, but a well known myth. Titanic could make a full circle with a diameter of 3.850 feet or just below 4½ its length and a forward momentum of 2.100 feet. (Eaton and Haas: Titanic Triumph and Tragedy)

Titanic was build, not to turn on a quarter but to sail straight ahead and make course changes. It was still able to navigate in the solent and doing the "S turn" by it self and that was even without the center propeller revolving.

Fredriksen

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 21:27:26 »

The rudder it self was not the main problem.
One of the problem was the center propeller.
When engines where reversed, the center propeller was out of function, and redused the flow to the rudder.
The turbine where not reversable.

The senter propeller where powered by a stemturbine that used the exhaust steam from the main steam engines. The steam engines rotated the port and starboard proplellers and where reversable.  :)

Edit: If interested read more about Titanic's engines here:
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic_prime_mover.html

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 21:43:19 by Fredriksen »
BÃ¥tlaus mann er bunden.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines