Hello Guest September 14, 2024, 23:22:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic has been Reborn!!!!  (Read 7231 times)

Al Bundy

• Forum member
Re: Titanic has been Reborn!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 22:05:07 »

The rudder it self was not the main problem.
One of the problem was the center propeller.
When engines where reversed, the center propeller was out of function, and redused the flow to the rudder.
The turbine where not reversable.

The senter propeller where powered by a stemturbine that used the exhaust steam from the main steam engines. The steam engines rotated the port and starboard proplellers and where reversable.  :)

Are we talking about the famous 14th April 1912 or in general? I still maintain that the rudder was sufficient.
I think so because I doubt that H&W would make such a mistake to underrudder their ship. Other ships was build the same way.

I know that the turbine was cut on the night of 14th April 1912. That was part of the procedure to go "Full astern"

But consider this: There was around 38 seconds from the spotting to the hit. In these 38 seconds the engineer had to bring down the steam, engage the change over walve to disengage the turbine and then engage the full reverse.

Turbine engine had no breaks. How long time would it take for it to go from 178 (?) revolutions per minute to just "windmill" in the slipstream? I doubt that the turbine had come to a halt or "windmill" speed within 38 seconds. I don't know it for a fact but I doubt it.

Also the Titanic still had forward momentum and this still had a flow of water over its rudder. In my opponion the wing propellers was too far away from the rudder to affect it when going full stern.

I agree that it was not designed to turn like a modern speedboat and that flow over the rudder should be considered, but I don't think it was underruddered. I also agree that the more speed the more effective the rudder. 

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:33:35 »

if i go on her(already saving up) i will do something amazing. yell "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!!!" and if i see an iceberg ahead yell "ICEBERG RIGHT AHEAD!!!!!"(maybe not. don't wanna cause a panic)

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 03:43:54 »

I talked about it here: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,7239.0.html

Let's see this happen! woot!

They're in a bit of a financial situation, so I drop by the site when possible (as in repeatedly refresh around 18 tabs with all of them on the site! ;D) I want to see this happen!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 03:49:20 »

I guess, but i plan on going. Don't care if i have to sell everything i own. I have been a titanic fanatic for my whole life. this would be a dream come true for me.
Ditto! My family wanted to go to England and Ireland, and I want to go to Ireland in summer 2012 to see the Titanic Quarter, so this is a great way to go! The rest of my family doesn't like the idea, though. I guess the idea of riding on a Trans-Atlantic ocean liner called "Titanic" doesn't appeal to them! ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:55:18 by RMS Gigantic »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 03:54:01 »

if i go on her(already saving up) i will do something amazing. yell "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!!!!!"
Problem: no one is allowed beyond the forcastle's breakwaters.

Also, get ready for some grimey conditions: The bow and stern are third class areas

I know who was allowed where on the decks.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:02 »

I am curious: Why do you think the rudder was "far too small"?
Wasn't.  I've read she could turn well by today's standards! Reversal was the issue. The Titanic, however, will have sonar, so visability won't be a problem like it was on April 14, 1912 in the North Atlantic at 11:40 PM local time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:59:47 by RMS Gigantic »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 12:45:11 »

Wasn't.  I've read she could turn well by today's standards! Reversal was the issue. The Titanic, however, will have sonar, so visability won't be a problem like it was on April 14, 1912 in the North Atlantic at 11:40 PM local time.

I don't want this to sound harsh but get your head out of the clouds. This ISN'T going to happen in a million years. Trust me, this is just a hoax and there's no way it's going ahead.

Just face it, it's not going to happen :(
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 15:03:53 »

I don't want this to sound harsh
Then that was a poor job.

NathanC

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 15:20:46 »

Well he was right......I believe that Titanic isn't going to be reborn, no matter what.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines