Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 03:08:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic for SS2010?  (Read 8719 times)

Nathan|C

Titanic for SS2010?
« on: April 18, 2010, 00:00:23 »

Leading on from http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,18478.25/topicseen.html

Do you think Titanic should be in Ship Simulator Extremes? Or would you prefer to see the ship left out, and time spent on something else that you would enjoy, that opens the possibilty for more interesting missions? Perhaps you really aren't bothered?

Here's what I don't get: How does it HARM you to have the Titanic included? If someone doesn't like it, then just don't use it. A lot of people are like "I hate SS because it has Titanic". How does that make it any worse? Like, seriously. If you don't like it, just don't use it. I've never seen someone say "I don't like SS because it has the Pride of Rotterdam". They just do it to get the Titanic fans upset or so that they won't seem like 'all the rest'.

Isn't it better to have MORE ships available by default? Don't forget, a lot of people bought this game for the purpose of sailing the Titanic. A lot of people won't admit it, but it's true. I'm sure SS didn't loose any customers because it had Titanic included..::)

It "harms" us because we suddenly get a forum full of Titanic topics such as "campaign for a whole new light on the Titanic!" and "oh no! a bench is missing on the Titanic! change it or I will force a boycott against all VSTEP products!". In my opinion, she doesn't add any value to the game as a simulator. Not many people training for a career at sea are going to be working on a steam powered ocean liner. As people have said before, it would benefit more players if VSTEP were to spend time on things that are of use such as floating cranes and general cargo ships instead of modifying Titanic which I think is required to get the ship from SS08 to SSE?. The only downside I can see at the moment is that the large amount of time that has been spent on the current model would be put to waste. But, going back to the beginning of my post, Titanic really is just eyecandy in my opinion.

P.S I don't not like Titanic, it's a beautiful ship.....and whatever your opinion is, isn't it too late to dcide what is going to be in SSE and what isnt, or will that be done after more testing?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 00:04:56 by Nathan|C »

Wave Music

• Forum member
Re: Titanic for SS2010?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 00:09:00 »

Like it was said by many people before, the good solution would be to put her on the Shipyard.  For those who want her so bad, 5 Euros wouldn't be a big deal.
Also, about 10 - 20% of installation disc/download file would be free for 2 or 3 new ships. (Sorry if that sounded way too noobie).

Or:  Like RMS Canada suggested once in his early days, how about a "Steamship Simulator Extremes" (featuring all historically-accurate liners) & a separate forum for it?  ;D
keep it gnarly

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:09:35 »

It is not a question of taking Titanic out of Extremes; it is a question of the amount of effort necessary to put her in Extremes, and whether it would be reasonable to delay the release in order to do it.

darkcapilla

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:32:15 »

there are people like me who do not have credit card or paypal.
to buy it from the Shipyard. Humpback us who want the titanic? because you or others want to remove it? very well.. :thumbdown:

I'm going is that I leave here. :'(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:33:58 by darkcapilla »

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:11 »

Darkcapilla,
If you have no way to buy Titanic from the Shipyard, then you have no way to buy Extremes from VSTEP either.
You are not the first petulant child to throw a tantrum and threaten not to buy the simulator. If your only reason for buying Extremes is to have Titanic, that would be foolish. You can always fire up SS 2008 to look at Titanic.

darkcapilla

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 02:25:21 »

Darkcapilla,
If you have no way to buy Titanic from the Shipyard, then you have no way to buy Extremes from VSTEP either.
You are not the first petulant child to throw a tantrum and threaten not to buy the simulator. If your only reason for buying Extremes is to have Titanic, that would be foolish. You can always fire up SS 2008 to look at Titanic.

hey before you say anything look at my edad.19 years.  :captain:
Ship Simulator Extreme will be in European stores. Stop talking nonsense.
think before you speak. you're not as Global Moderator. :thumbdown:
this is very important not only for me but to others tambien.uno want quality and ship Simulator 2008 will cease to be a long time. Antos I do? wait for the new delivery will not? Now I learn that want to take the Titanic for future games .. how you would you say?  :-\

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 03:05:47 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWFnHKIX98&feature=player_embedded

5:13 ish..  Though disregard the expected release date.  ;D

darkcapilla

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 03:21:45 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWFnHKIX98&feature=player_embedded

5:13 ish..  Though disregard the expected release date.  ;D
Mad_Fred sorry but the voices of the video do not understand because they are in English.
if you say you put me in the video would be helpful. :2thumbs:
be so kind as always :angel:

darkcapilla

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 03:45:08 »

He said that the Titanic is and will be included. :)
to thank You But Knew That would be in SSE. What Is That I Complain of Not In future games Because of a Few.
as I said  all thanks Mad Fred and DarkChestOfWonders.
how many more ships in the simulator is more fun. :evil:
I do not hate any vessel. because they all serve to navigate. :captain:

Nathan|C

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:21:29 »

Please do not leave. :)

I can assure you, they are not taking Titanic out of SSEx. It's just a few members here who like to get people upset by claiming VSTEP should remove her. Clearly it's worked to drive people away. >:(

Yes Shane...because I like to waste my time driving people I don't even know away from I forum a rarely even visit anymore...  ::)

No, I have better things to do. Read my post again, and then you'll see I (and a few others) have made a perfectly good point on why Titanic would be better off not in SSE, or in at a later date (Shipyard). And as for your dropping POR point...well that's kinda what I'm saying. POR has a purpose...it's a modern ferry with bow thrusters, radar everything...the kind of ship that has value in a modern sim like this...not a steamship for which the only use is eyecandy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:23:28 by Nathan|C »

mvsmith

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 13:19:22 »

Hi Nathan,

I think Shane is doing a disservice to darkcapilla by making promises he cannot keep, on a subject of which he has little real knowledge.
If darkcapilla really does not want to buy Extremes if it does not include Titanic, and if, as he claims, he would be unable to get it from the shipyard, then it is irresponsible to assure him that he would not be wasting his money.

There are many problems in getting the existing ships to work correctly in a new sea model. Titanic, in particular, is a problem because of her high poly count, and attempts to satisfy some of the requests for changes and enhancements.
A decision may have to be made whether to expend resources on her instead of on other problems that must be solved before Beta testing is completed.

Extremes has many new features that users will enjoy, and is well worth waiting for. However, not everything that has been demanded by everyone has been included, or will survive Beta testing.

To make definite claims about what will be included, without any real knowledge or understanding of the dificulties, will only make more trouble in the end.

Regards,
Marty

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 13:35:23 »

Hi All
People being what they are will have there own opinions on this (as they should)
many either misread or are to quick to jump to a conclusion.
But at the end of it it is up to them what they do if a member want to leave because
something do'es not fit in with what he wants it is his loss nobody else's.
Like everything else in life you win you lose instead of looking at the negative things
try being positive.
In otherwords  So we lose this but we have gained this sadly its a fact of life that
not all will get what they want from extremes but everybody will get a new and
great game/sim
                                                                                            Eric
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 13:56:35 by sadsid »

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 14:03:14 »

Great to see the forum hasn't changed! lol

Nathan|C

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 14:57:09 »

I think Marty was refering to

Please do not leave. :)

I can assure you, they are not taking Titanic out of SSEx.

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 15:01:57 »

Nope, still the same. :sleepy:Marty, I only said what Frank said. I only translated it for him. I didn't say anything else.

As I recall that interview, Frank said that Titanic would be back. He did not say where or when.

Nathan|C

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 15:07:58 »

I think Marty had an excellent idea. Perhaps, use the time testing and improving the new features in SSE and then, if it's possible, tune the Titanic for SSE (much easier said than done I suppose) and if it's all ok, a Shipyard release may be possible for those willing to pay for it?

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 15:09:40 »

What I meant, Shane, is that Frank did not say whether it would be in the original release, or available from the Shipyard later.

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 15:11:27 »

What I meant, Shane, is that Frank did not say whether it would be in the original release, or available from the Shipyard later.

I'm sure in one of the interviews he said the Titanic was back

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 15:24:52 »

If I may add my penny's worth in this. :)

I think the main reason why Titanic was included in ShipSim was to draw in people who have heard about her from the film or whatever thus increasing sales of their product.
In my opinion this has worked well for SS06 and 08 but I think Extremes will be so content rich with other features and vessels that the need is no longer there for Titanic to be used in that way.

In the game itself I for one never use her and only did a couple of times when I bought the game just to admire the model and see how well my computer could handle it (::)).

On multiplayer servers she causes lag, and as far as I know not many missions are made using her. She is an old ship being incorporated into a modern simulator with modern vessels and in my opinion doesn't quite fit in for that reason. The only vessel that I think does, is the Furie for two reasons; she is still operational in the environment today and can be used to make some lovely scenarios in places such as Padstow that have a fairly traditional feel. And of course the proceedings go to her upkeep.

All in all I'd rather time was spent developing what we have or new content instead of updating Titanic. I whole heartedly agree with the idea of putting her up in the Shipyard for people who are desperate to sail her.

Mike :)

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 16:16:02 »

I think Titanic should stay in the game biceaus she has good dynamics and allso looks good.(much better then those floating boxes)

I don't care about her history and I don't care about her fans.
All you people are taking it MUCH to serious. Saying that Titanic shouldn't be added to the game biceaus it disturbs the forum a little bit is childish and stupid. Like stealing someones toy biceaus you don't like him.

Besides, it allready is a long time ago that I read a Titanic topic (till this one).

NathanC said, POR has a bowthruster unlike Titanic.
Maybe you should learn how to really manouver then.
Are you happy with the dynamics from POR?
The bowthruster is not realistic, like with most ships.
And there still are a lot of ships that don't have a bowthruster.

I just like Titanic biceaus it is a good ship with good dynamics.

So to keep everyone else satisfied, we can add 4 more ferries and 6 more cruiseships. Biceaus that is what I hate the most, people asking for more ferries and cruiseships while the maritime world has MUCH more to offer.

Nathan|C

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 16:22:05 »

NathanC said, POR has a bowthruster unlike Titanic.
Maybe you should learn how to really manouver then.
Are you happy with the dynamics from POR?
The bowthruster is not realistic, like with most ships.
And there still are a lot of ships that don't have a bowthruster.

How do you know the dynamics are good? Have you sailed her? I can easily not click on Titanic topics on the forum. But it just gets a little irritating when certain people complain about missing benches, missing fences etc. That's not the point of the sim, to look at the ship. It's about handling the ship.

For your information, I was one of the people who actually read and took interest in the topic where Marty and Traddles explained how to manouver the Titanic away from dock using the "springing" technique. After trying myself succesfully I now know how to manouvre the Titanic away from the dock.

The last part of your post is exactly what i'm trying to say. The maritime world has so much more to offer, which is why I think VSTEP should spend time on other things.

As for the POR bowthruster thing, what does that have to do with this? But you obviously have real life experience in manouvering large RoRo ferries, so I won't argue with you.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 16:25:54 by Nathan|C »

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 17:05:10 »

Well, I don't think that is verry realistic that the whole ship moves to sb when I put the bow thruster to sb.
Normally the stern goes a little bit to port when you do that. I call that common sense!

I agree that Titanic fans ask for to much. But I allso think it would be a waste of efforts to not put her into the game. Biceaus then a large group of people will be begging for a steam powered ocean liner.

There are some other ships wich diserve it more to not be included in the next version.

I have no real life experience on big ships, but I do have some experience on a Kongsberg full mission bridge simulator.

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 17:25:32 »

I'd say for the sake of the forum servers, let her remain here in the game, if not the servers will be overloaded by thousands of topics, demanding that the ship is put back in, seriously, it's for our own good.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 17:31:21 »

Well, I don't think that is verry realistic that the whole ship moves to sb when I put the bow thruster to sb.
Normally the stern goes a little bit to port when you do that. I call that common sense!

I don't know where you get this information, the vessel's stern would not move to port while the bow thruster is set to starboard. It would remain stationary. What you have described would only happen if there were a stern/aft thruster activated to port. And the POR doesn't do what you describe in the game. It works the way it should.
Regards,
Jonah

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 18:01:44 »

I don't know where you get this information, the vessel's stern would not move to port while the bow thruster is set to starboard. It would remain stationary. What you have described would only happen if there were a stern/aft thruster activated to port. And the POR doesn't do what you describe in the game. It works the way it should.

Sorry, but where do you get that information from?
In theory, a ship turns around its centre of gravity. (when it is laying still)
But you allso have hydrodynamics wich play a big role so I don't really know what to think anymore.

I think I exhaggerated a little bit biceaus what I ment has allready been fixed. But in general a lot of ships have this problem. Just take a look at this: http://80.95.161.114/shipsim/forum/index.php/topic,4664.msg47182/topicseen.html#msg47182
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 18:23:42 by Sam »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines