Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 10:35:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What do you think P&O should call their Newbuilds when launched?

Pride Of Dover (2)
- 13 (52%)
Pride Of Calais (2)
- 2 (8%)
Pride Of Zeebrugge
- 2 (8%)
European Voyager
- 6 (24%)
European Pathway
- 0 (0%)
European Highway
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 10, 2010, 10:43:54

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What to call the New P&O New Builds?  (Read 37393 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: What to call the New P&O New Builds?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 18:59:16 »

Does it really matter WHAT people call them... As they sail past them on their Seachance or LD lines or NorfolkLine ship, whilst they are tied up awaiting someone to prop PO up?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Ncena1

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 14:35:18 »

I would call them something like
Dover Highway
and
Calais Highway

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 18:16:28 »

did anyone see my ship in the issue 5 of SSM?

Keeping her name flying high...........

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 19:20:38 »

Yes, would it perhaps be better to show Molly in LD Lines colours or even Brittany Ferries?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 17:50:15 »

Well im working on 2 more for the next issue of SSM, the operators would kill for these.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 18:04:05 »

Lets hop they don't actually 'kill' anyone... that is messy

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 18:05:24 »

Lets hop they don't actually 'kill' anyone... that is messy

And illegal... :police:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 18:08:20 »

And illegal... :police:

Don't worry- just borrow the Governments Attorney General... If he says it is illegal, just keep asking him until he changes his mind... ;)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 22:59:43 »

You almost always have it like this way: You have a route Rotterdam - Hull and it has 2 ferry named Pride Of Rotterdam and Pride of Hull.

So what I'm trying say is that a route between 2 ports with 2 ships will be named after the ports name (pride of *name of port*).
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 23:45:39 »

You mean like 'Pride of Bruges' (inland) or Pride of 'Pride of Canterbury' (inland)!  ;)

But, yes you are right. PO do tend to name the route flagships after the two main ports on its routes.... Except at Portsmouth where they don't have enough ships... until October anyway, when ALL of their ports on the western channel will have one of their western channel ships named after them...

BTW, if it isn't too far off topic. (and this is serious rather than me again taking the urine out of PO and its urine-poor management)... DO PO actually OWN any ships now or are they all on hire purchase?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 19:11:11 »

I think you'll find the PoH is also owned by a seperate company.

Nathan, without wishing to contradict you, I am interested to know what source you are quoting for Dover based ships, as that is not my understanding. I understand that only the Dover/Calais 'Chunnel Beaters' were purchased outright (and possibly since subject to a sell/leaseback deal...

No, to say that if PO owned both outright that it would automatically mean both were British crews, is not correct. The country of registration, country of (nominal ownership) do not need to be the same as the (non senior) crew.

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 19:41:42 »

Why not copy the RNLI? Their FCB2 Concept boat (now rejected :doh:) was called EffSeeBeeToo ( ::))

DeeSeeEyeTeeEssEee!

Almost never here, try here.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 21:32:30 »

How about LD Dover and LD Calais- get the names ready for when LD take over PO ;D

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 19:56:09 »

thats if LD take over P&O which won't happen cos P&O are a very large company dont forget and LD only have a 6 ship fleet where as P&O have around 276 ships in total, so thats very unlikely unless LD have £4 million to buy the company. Back to the topic, the ships dont have ramps on the out side of the catflap door look at the pic.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 20:08:30 »

With all respect, POD

LD lines is only a subsidiary of Louis Dreyfuss Shipping- a pretty hefty company, so I don't quite know where you get '6' from....

Do you wish me to list the number of times a small company has performed a 'reverse takeover' of a larger rival?

As for £4 million- what has that to do with it? £4 million for PO? That would unlikely cover the legal costs of the sale!

I am interested to know where you get the figure of 276 ship in PO. Really interested, in fact...

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 20:18:40 »

Oh, i forgot bout it being a subsidary. I got the number from the "P&O: the fleet book" that I got on the Pride of Dover, that was the recorded number for 1999. that number has proboly grown. the six was from Norman Arrow, Norman Spirit, Norman Voyager, the soon to be Norman leader and Sorreto

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 20:26:19 »

P&O grown? ??? I think not.

P&O ferries is no longer the same as P&O cruises and P&O Princess.... so knock those ships out. PO Portsmouth/Le Havre have gone. Several of the Irish sea freighters have been sold to Stena. P&O Scotland has gone. Do they now not operate less ships on Dover straits? Their freighter/tanker joint venture has been sold off.

NEED I say any more about it? P&O is finished now. It is just a waiting game; I think they will be floated off seperately from the ports business and then they willl need to find a merger-partner as they are too flimsy to survive. POD, business is a jungle at the moment and the weak will not survive.

I really hate to say it, as I was very loyal to P&O before, but they've lost it big style.

I very much doubt you could list all of these alleged 276 ships!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 21:05:13 »

P&O expanding with more ships? Vs not being as big as before.

Please make up your mind, Nathan...

Perhaps you are right and P&O are doing really well... Time will tell.

I notice you aren't making any references to how badly P&O did in Portsmouth...

Believe me, I do not like talking down P&O. I would like nothing more than a powerful, competent CEO to takeover the board and build P&O back up. But it isn't going to happen.

Guess what? P&O is still listed as a private limited company. Even though it is foreign owned, it is still registered in Britain at companies house (237626)- you can download their latest accounts (I take it you do know about this...). Buy it (£5) and read... Then tell me P&O is getting stronger.

You are right that they are the best known ferry company in Britain. However, trading on inertia is what kills off most old dinosaur companies in the end. Sad, but true.

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 15:56:08 »

moving on. I have managed to aquire more pics of the NB1. very interesting, especially the one with the trailor lift( ???). :2thumbs:

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 16:45:43 »

moving on. I have managed to aquire more pics of the NB1. very interesting, especially the one with the trailor lift( ???). :2thumbs:

Great Pics

I think it is a internal ramp, to connect the two lorry decks.

TJK

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 16:52:24 »

The name on this new ship most be

Pride of NathanC :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 16:57:41 by TJK »

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 16:54:43 »

it may be the ramp, but im sure it is a lift of some sort to a trailor deck out the way of the main car/freight decks. If you think about it from the pictures, these ships are gona be rather big.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 16:56:07 »

Dover-Calais isn;t really a unaccompanied trailer route - to short with too quick turnaround time

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2010, 17:08:32 »

they do take some trailors tho, ive seen them plenty of time, they go on fist after unloading at the same time as the foot passengers do. You think that in SSE there will be realistic crossing time or the crossing taking 50 mins?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 17:10:28 »

they do take some trailors tho, ive seen them plenty of time, they go on fist after unloading at the same time as the foot passengers do. You think that in SSE there will be realistic crossing time or the crossing taking 50 mins?

Not enough to demand an extra deck  ;)

As for SSE, well I suppose it depends what boat you take  ;)

But it should still take the right time, depending what route you take
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines