Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 09:36:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What do you think P&O should call their Newbuilds when launched?

Pride Of Dover (2)
- 13 (52%)
Pride Of Calais (2)
- 2 (8%)
Pride Of Zeebrugge
- 2 (8%)
European Voyager
- 6 (24%)
European Pathway
- 0 (0%)
European Highway
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: February 10, 2010, 10:43:54

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What to call the New P&O New Builds?  (Read 37392 times)

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
Re: What to call the New P&O New Builds?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 17:14:26 »

not an extra deck, side decks like where all of the foot passengers luggage goes and the animals. dont forget these new ships have two freight decks and one car deck like the Maersk trio

Keeping her name flying high...........

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 21:17:26 »

There is a similar lift (RAMP!) on the seachance Molly... Although that was designed to allow 2 decks to be used from a single deck link span on its original route.

I don't think it leads off to some hidden deck somewhere in doctorwhos tardis...
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

coyotes_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 16:13:01 »

Hello everyone, bit late to the party but I have only just recently purchased Ship Sim and registered on here. Ive wanted to find some pictures of the new builds for a while so this thread is a great find!  :thumbs:

In relation to the namings, I agree with others in that they should keep the names of their predecessors. No need to come up with new names unless P&O were retaining the older ships. Loving the artist impressions too, remind me a lot of the Pride of Hull/Rotterdam.

Slightly off topic, I recently read in Ships Monthly that P&O have put plans to replace the Pride of Brugge/York on hold, does anyone know what 'plans' they were?

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 17:08:19 »

they were originally to replace the two along with the Pride of Burgundy( only god knows why). But they arn't now they arn't going to replace them due to their new ships being built for dover-calais and the sucess they are getting out of the new Tilbury-Zeebrugge route. If you like to know any more or for more pics feel free to ask :2thumbs:

coyotes_uk

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2010, 17:15:27 »

they were originally to replace the two along with the Pride of Burgundy( only god knows why). But they arn't now they arn't going to replace them due to their new ships being built for dover-calais and the sucess they are getting out of the new Tilbury-Zeebrugge route. If you like to know any more or for more pics feel free to ask :2thumbs:

Thank you for the quick reply, makes sense the Pride of Brugge/York are not exactly falling apart! I still remember sailing on them back when they were the Norsun and Norsky (I think), just gives me more time to take a trip on them!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of the new builds!  :thumbs:

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 19:55:43 »

By the way, when you say "several" of the Irish sea freighters have been sold to Stena, which do you mean? All I know of is the old European Ambassador, and P&O still operate her two sisters between Northern Ireland and Scotland (and so the Scottish business has not gone, it was less than a decade ago since new tonnage was ordered for the Larne-Cairnryan route, and P&O still have another freighter operating between Larne-Troon). The Leader/Pioneer/Seafarer were sold off to Stena, but that is a very small route anyway, which I can't see lasting very long with the age and capacity of the ships. The Norbank and Norbay were sent to Liverpool for the run to Dublin.

Before Stena Line carved up the 'P&O Empire' in 2004, P&O were a serious force on the Irish Sea.
Larne - Troon, Larne - Cairnryan, Larne  Fleetwood, Dublin - Liverpool, Dublin - Mostryn, Dublin - Cherbourg, Rosslare - Cherbourg.  Pretty mighty.

o) Troon still operates with the European Mariner
o) Cairnryan still has the European Highlander & Causeway
o) Fleetwood was sold off to Stena Line - vessels included
o) Liverpool services are shockingly declining fast, as Norfolkline offer superior passenger services and SeaTruck offer better freight services.
o) Mostryn again sold off to Stena and closed - vessels included
o) Cherbourg services again sold off to Stena and Celtic Link - vessels included.

The only beam of light appears to be Larne, as they own it.
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 12:02:25 »

yeah, but P&O are only making their big cash from Dover-Calais and every route north of there.

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:19 »

I'd certainly say Larne - Cairnryan would be worth its weight in gold too
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 16:24:09 »

yeah, but P&O are only making their big cash from Dover-Calais and every route north of there.

IF PO have learned the lessions taught from them losing so much elsewhere, and IF the current management are prepared to say "we can't fail- we are P&O" and hope that their long history is enough and IF they can be dynamic and proactive then perhaps they can hold onto Dover - Calais (even in the same environment!)

However, the likes of Stena, LD et al are running rings around them.

Put another way- you want to start a shipping company. Who do you think would be the easiest to compete with? (and that isn't the same thing as who has the nicest livery or cheaper fares)... You go against the sick man of the industry (just read Mr LaganVikings excellent post above)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 16:25:17 »

Oh, and as for the question above about the Burgundy...

... My opinion is that it would make either a very nice artificial diving reef or 50,000,000 new razor blades...

(scuse the double post)

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26:46 »

If i were to start a ferry company i would have routes from Dover-Zeebrugge, Dover-Ostende and Dover-Le harve. That way I offer a great service from dover to zeebrugge again and to ostende too and also to le harve with a fast cruise ferry like tallinks Superstar.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2010, 11:28:36 »

Hopefully you would paint her a better colour...

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2010, 11:31:13 »

I would be competeing with an failing seafrance and maybe buy the molly for the Dover-le harve service? :thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2010, 14:00:04 »

Do you think-maybe- you would be also taking trade away from P&O? Obviously you aren't daft enough to think that you will be 'generating new trade'- you will be taking trade away from elsewhere.

So what do you think po ld sc would do about it?

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2010, 20:25:41 »

If you were going to start new ferry services to France...Portsmouth would be a good starting block.

Remember the success P&O had there? Portsmouth - Cherbourg could be a good starting block, but as Celtic Link have shown twice now, there isn't much of a market for it - well not with their Diplomat anyway  :doh: (primarily freight orientated)

(just read Mr LaganVikings excellent post above)
  8)  :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2010, 20:49:59 »

Sorry LV- but when you consider the time to cross the western channel, the cost per round trip of a ferry is pretty high- compared to dc(itse) which could do 2 or 3 in the same time (easily). That is why your earlier post was quite good about DC(itse) making money.

Also there are the services from Poole (recently reduced, but still there in a sort).

The real killer for ferry services is the lack of tourist trade- when there is a good mix of tourist AND freight, you're on to a winner... Blame the likes of simplejet and ryanscare for that...

Can we see any improvement in the western channel in the near future? Hmm... Not so sure.

My company was part of a small group that were looking at entering the HSC market, like speed ferries did- but the numbers just can not stack up. It needs one of the big companies to go bust or 2 merging... And then when conditions improve and the timing is right- then go in to take advantage of the rising market.

However, for an established player in any specific market, there is a problem in that costs rise when times are good without any thought for when they are bad... result? over-bloated companies with proportionally too high fixed overheads... so they become oblivious to overhead/revenue ratio and forget that building new products/services means they can further divide their overheads. In short that irritating phrase "economies of scale".

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2010, 18:12:43 »

ok thanks for that stu, anyways got more PICTURES FOR EVERYONE FRESH FROM 5 DAYS AGO!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2010, 18:19:16 »

Wow great pics - she is really coming along

Thanks for sharing them all  :thumbs:

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2010, 18:26:14 »

glad to share them with the ship sim community

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2010, 21:30:40 »

Keep them safe... To compare against the photos circa 2035 when they are at Alang (NO, not sarcasm...!)

When are they releasing the names?

I still think either LD Douvres & LD Calais or Seachance Douvres & Seachance Calais or something...

I wonder what they will look like in Brittany Ferries livery...  ;D

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 21:32:47 »

I wonder what they will look like in Brittany Ferries livery...  ;D

There are two answers.

Daft?

or

Awesome?

The hard bit is deciding which...
Almost never here, try here.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2010, 21:37:21 »

I suspect we will find out in the next 2 years.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:19 »

Apparently Dover has been bought by France... :-X

What happens now then? :thumbdown:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2010, 13:15:05 »

i get to buy duty free stuff and then dover will rebel due to the population not wanting to be A FRENCHMAN!

Pride of Dover

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2010, 13:29:47 »

anyway, LD lines are chatering the norman spirit to TEF for ramsgate to ostende and renamed the ostende spirit. LD are chatrering the to be renamed Ave Leipaja (ex Brave Merchant) for the current Dover route. Now there will be two racehorses operating from Dover!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines