Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:31:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Patch time..  (Read 268589 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Re: Patch time..
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2007, 00:07:35 »

Hehe I've been watching this and it's everso funny  :D

I could use some patience right now, specially as I'm snowed under with 4 urgent sites to build and less time to play shipsim  :'(

and yes I'm afraid the mods have let this thread spiral out of control so he must go down with his ship although he might just use the Matrix to help him out  ;D ;) :D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2007, 03:43:26 »

as of right now i'm on the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship in the middle of the atlantic ocean. I like everyone else am wondering, wheres the patch. KM

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2007, 04:01:32 »

as of right now i'm on the Norwegian Dawn cruise ship in the middle of the atlantic ocean. I like everyone else am wondering, wheres the patch. KM

Norwegian Dawn?

Isn't that the cruise ship that was hit head on by a rogue wave? Caused a bunch of damage to the forward section/facade, or whatever it is.

I saw it on a History Channel documentary about rogue waves. Actually, I have it on the Poseidon movie DVD too, as bonus material. I can always check it  ;D
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2007, 04:23:02 »

In fact it was!

I was on the Norwegian Star just a few months ago.

This topic is such a laugh now ^.^

Hudizzle

• Forum member
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2007, 04:46:56 »

Haha, well if that's the case... let's keep it open for a few laughs!!!  ;D :D ;D ::) :P
"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is.. Never try." -Homer Simpson-

Ship Sim

« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2007, 04:56:12 »

Lets move it to small talk so it dosent get deleted.

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2007, 08:28:21 »

Anyone got a time machine ::)
D.J.M you have the patience of a Saint :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2007, 13:22:42 »

and yes I'm afraid the mods have let this thread spiral out of control so he must go down with his ship although he might just use the Matrix to help him out  ;D ;) :D

LOL, the Ship Sim Forum Has Me ;D

D.J.M you have the patience of a Saint :D

Heh, I wish.  I do have a lot of patience though.....comes from years of practice and working in the Customer Service sector ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2007, 15:30:19 »

i just came back from my summer vacation, an i tought:    mmm, fine now the vacation is over i can download the patch so that the last part of the summer vacation will be great, but when i came on the homepage and i read:  no patches availible yet i thought.. WHATTE@#!  and now i read this  :'(

and precisly the patch will release when my vacation is over  >:(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 15:33:12 by mr robville »

dannyb12

• Forum member
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2007, 20:02:18 »

I really cant believe this, at least another 2 weeks, I am getting on to trading standards about releasing a game and charging good money with more bugs flying around in it than the local hospital.  This really is poor service and shows a lack of comitment.  Sorry if my words are harsh but if Vstep dont sort thier act out it wont take long for everyones patience to run out.  Words of wisdom, make sure its working properly and as advertised before selling to the general public, that way you avoid dissapointment and disgruntled customers! 

P.S I thought I was buying a completed game, not a beta version, beta versions are usually free

thanks
danny
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 20:10:09 by dannyb12 »

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2007, 20:11:44 »

sorry to ask a silly question, but when will the patch be released please??

Hi Danny!

Nobody knows for sure. Probably within 2 weeks. Remember that the mission editor originally wasn't supposed to be included in the patch. The last official new on the patch is here:
http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1733.msg17014.html#msg17014

Regards
groennegaard

donc13

• Forum member
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2007, 21:06:11 »

I really cant believe this, at least another 2 weeks, I am getting on to trading standards about releasing a game and charging good money with more bugs flying around in it than the local hospital.  This really is poor service and shows a lack of comitment.  Sorry if my words are harsh but if Vstep dont sort thier act out it wont take long for everyones patience to run out.  Words of wisdom, make sure its working properly and as advertised before selling to the general public, that way you avoid dissapointment and disgruntled customers! 

P.S I thought I was buying a completed game, not a beta version, beta versions are usually free

thanks
danny

Come on, lighten up.   It's a game.   It's not the end of the world.    Considering the complexity and time involved just to create a ship and the environments....I think VStep has done a heck of a job.   

Honest...you'll live if you have to wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months for the first patch.   It's free, so it's not like you're going to lose anything if you don't get the patch today.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2007, 22:08:37 »

thanks
danny
Hi Daniel. Trading standards of WHICH country? ( I guess from your hospital quip you are here in GB) Not sure trading standards here have any authority in the Netherlands. For the record, TS rarely act against a company that has acknowledged an issue and is actively dealing with it.

Lack of committment, as has been pointed out before, is generally attributable to companies that do not subsequently act on issues. Vstep is.

Your words aren't harsh as such- just ill thought out. I think if you take the time to look around the forum you will see most people here are a friendly sort of lot- who are disappointed, yes- but generally not acting up with 'legal threats'.

If I may respectfully suggest: A well thought out, polite, structured and objective post about the issue would maybe reflect well on you and help put your point across.

As for beta version... ALthough it has issues- which should have been addressed, true- I would not call it a beta version. The reality is, Daniel, that things rarely go to plan. It is a regrettable fact of life that sometimes deadlines must be met at all costs. There are publishing/ retailing agreements to honour. Most of these have already been discussed...

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2007, 00:06:27 »

yea i was on he Norwegian Dawn, i'm home now. I don't think the dawn was hit by a rogue wave to my knowledge. KM

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2007, 00:20:32 »

Hi Daniel. Trading standards of WHICH country? ( I guess from your hospital quip you are here in GB) Not sure trading standards here have any authority in the Netherlands. For the record, TS rarely act against a company that has acknowledged an issue and is actively dealing with it.

Lack of committment, as has been pointed out before, is generally attributable to companies that do not subsequently act on issues. Vstep is.

Your words aren't harsh as such- just ill thought out. I think if you take the time to look around the forum you will see most people here are a friendly sort of lot- who are disappointed, yes- but generally not acting up with 'legal threats'.

If I may respectfully suggest: A well thought out, polite, structured and objective post about the issue would maybe reflect well on you and help put your point across.

As for beta version... ALthough it has issues- which should have been addressed, true- I would not call it a beta version. The reality is, Daniel, that things rarely go to plan. It is a regrettable fact of life that sometimes deadlines must be met at all costs. There are publishing/ retailing agreements to honour. Most of these have already been discussed...

Stuart

Thank you, that was well said.

I don't see why people are getting so worked up about a couple of weeks. I don't mean to offend anyone but this really is JUST a game. It's not the end of the world and certainly not the end of Ship Simulator. I like the fact that there is a large active community here and people from VSTEP (or are directly involved with SS) are keeping the game alive by adding more patches and ships ect.

I feel we should all be happy about the fact that VSTEP are taking their time to get this patch out. After all it was to be released in September anyway. The longer they work on it the better the patch can be so give them time. It does (as discussed before) take a long time to build these kinds of games, but I won't delve into detail here.

Danny please just be patient about the patch. VSTEP want the patch out as much as the rest of us  ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

BlackBat

• Forum member
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2007, 11:53:17 »

Hello together,

well, in some points I can agree with danyb and understand what he's thinking. I'm also a trader (with experience in business) and study s.th. like this. When I would tell a customer: "I will send you your order on the xx." it means that I'm "forced" to send this on the special date and not some weeks later. I wrote "forced" because on the one side it's kind of a contract (if not in written form than in verbal form) what means that the customer can force me to pay a penality and on the other hand I want to keep the trust in my company or what else.
When you remember the spring/summer of 2006 the fans of the ship simulator 2006 where forced to wait 1 month more because the original release date was totaly wrong calculated. And this year a dejavu happend: we had to wait for the SS'08 again. Obviously the 2 days delay now for the patch are not the appocalypse, but I - and I guess others too - are interested to see that VSTEP keeps the pronounced release dates.
BUT there is one thing: When these days are successfully used to solve several bugs(like bottman wrote in the german forum), then I aggree with this strategy.

In conclusion: VSTEP WHEN YOU NEED MORE TIME TO SOLVE SOME MORE BUGS, THEN TELL US ABOUT THE DELAYS FOR EXAMPLE WITH A MAIL OR A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON YOUR HOMEPAGE!!!
WE WANT TO BE INFORMED!!!

thanks for your attention

mfg blackbat

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2007, 12:04:49 »

I can't calm down! I was practically craving for the mission editor :'(

You'll be pleased to know that i've calmed down now ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2007, 12:06:40 »

You'll be pleased to know that i've calmed down now ;D

Heh, we all have days AND things that annoy us eh ;)

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2007, 12:52:06 »

In conclusion: VSTEP WHEN YOU NEED MORE TIME TO SOLVE SOME MORE BUGS, THEN TELL US ABOUT THE DELAYS FOR EXAMPLE WITH A MAIL OR A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON YOUR HOMEPAGE!!!
WE WANT TO BE INFORMED!!!

The problem is much more complicated than that though.

You have worldwide release date (actually several dates) when manufacturers are standing ready to 'press' discs.
The publisher will have arranged transport from disc producer to retailer.
The publisher will have to co-ordinate publicity for a release
The retailer will have allocated space on the 'just in' shelf for this release

I think I have said all of this before somewhere. The problem that you don't understand is that there is still the distribution and sales to consider after it has left vstep. These things are worked out months in advance.

I know of a company that missed its publication date and the publisher cancelled the agreement to publish the software. It CAN and DOES happen from time to time. Microsoft can dictate terms to distributors, smaller companies can not.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2007, 12:52:36 »

Heh, we all have days AND things that annoy us eh ;)
And I know what's annoying me at the moment  ;)

Stu

Brian

• Forum member
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2007, 13:17:06 »

We all know this is a game and have no choice other than to wait for patches. We know about distribution and release dates. We also know that errors can be made and that patches are part of the world we live in blah, blah, blah.....

I own my own company which develops products for sale and when we create something new, it comes out of my pocket to develop and produce something complete for the public to buy. Maybe, I'm a minority but, doing business this way shields me from the disappointment of customers who may buy something that either isn't finished or doesn't work as advertised.

It is very troubling that any company knowingly sells an incomplete product, collects money for the "software" which isn't finished while using the customer's payments to aid in finishing what should have been finished with the exception of bug fixes. Had VSTEP not sold and collected funds to work with, would the game development have stopped? If this is the case, it's not a very respectable way of doing business. You wind up under pressure to finally finish it while people are screaming that the sense of a good job done goes out the window. Glad I don't run my own company this way.

Patiently awaiting the patch
Disappointed,
Brian

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2007, 13:24:36 »

Like most things in life, this is a case of 'swings & roundabouts' (may be a UK-only phrase ;)).  People are obviously going to be disappointed with this situation, but things like this are unavoidable, and sometimes, necessary ;)

As stated previously, at least we can rest assured that Vstep are working to give us the game that we all want, they haven't abandoned us :)

I am very confident in Vstep and their policies and always will be, they have delivered a game that is far beyond the achievements of Ship Sim '06 and are still constantly working to develop it further.  Surely most people would agree that this is a good thing and something that we can look forward to, yes?

I am definitely looking forward to future developments in the Ship Sim world, especially Multiplayer :D

Regards.

DJM.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2007, 13:26:35 »

Well said!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2007, 13:33:37 »

Brian,

You clearly read the posts above. You understand the distribution issues, good.

I am lucky in that my company is a logistics operator and our job is to move people and freight. I don't have to worry about development time etc etc.

Do you design, manufacture, distribute and sell your products yourself without having to work with any other companies at all? If you do you are very lucky indeed.

The problem isn't just confined to Vstep- its the global 'now now now' environment we live in. Everything has to be done in such a narrow timeframe that these things happen all the time. Look at major construction projects (wembley, UK. Olympics, Greece etc) to see that many projects- large and small- over run their target date.

I think your final comment which implies dishonesty or poor ethics on the part of vstep is really unfair. Yes, it is disappointing that this software needs a patch, but it's being addressed.

Stu

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2007, 13:35:17 »

An editorial comment:

Please think about your post before you send it... Are you adding anything new to this discussion. It feels like everyone is making the same comment over and over again. Getting the same reply over and over again.

Please think if there is a way you can make your post a little different- perhaps a new thought of your own on the situation?

Stu
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines