Hello Guest September 28, 2024, 21:17:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Anti Virus Software  (Read 4952 times)

Firestar

Best Anti Virus Software
« on: December 28, 2009, 00:18:23 »

Hi everyone, I was inspired by the recent virus scare on here to make a topic where we can share the best anti virus software we use. I've used McAfee, Norton, AVG, and Ad-Aware.

However, me being a Linux user, I find AV Software to not be necessary to me. Not yet anyway. I would only use if it I was using WINE Emulation or something like that.

TerryRussell

Re: Best Anti Virus Software
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 00:29:07 »

Shane:

(1) Any one who believes that LINUX is immune to viruses is acting stupidly and irresponsibly. I know of several hundred viruses that can and do infect LINUX systems. The ONLY reason that they are not widely spread is that the criminals haven't yet started to target LINUX users. As the LINUX grows in popularity, it is only a question of time. Then all those with no protection will go down like flies.

It was the same with MAC users. "We're immune" they gloated. Then the first of many viruses hit them... They are also low numbers by comparison with PCs so they largely escape because of their relative insignificance. No other reason.

Can I make that any clearer?

(2) I doubt that many people on this forum are competent to advise anyone else on the "best" antiviral software. I mean that kindly, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I think that this thread is twenty steps down that road.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 00:41:12 »

Shane:

(1) Any one who believes that LINUX is immune to viruses is acting stupidly and irresponsibly. I know of several hundred viruses that can and do infect LINUX systems. The ONLY reason that they are not widely spread is that the criminals haven't yet started to target LINUX users. As the LINUX grows in popularity, it is only a question of time. Then all those with no protection will go down like flies.

It was the same with MAC users. "We're immune" they gloated. Then the first of many viruses hit them... They are also low numbers by comparison with PCs so they largely escape because of their relative insignificance. No other reason.

(2) I doubt that many people on this forum are competent to advise anyone else on the "best" antiviral software. I mean that kindly, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I think that this thread is twenty steps down that road.

Try ESET NOD32.  I'm using it for about 2 years without problems.  :thumbs:
;D

As the LINUX grows in popularity, it is only a question of time. Then all those with no protection will go down like flies.
THAT'S a bit optimistic isn't it?

Perhaps my trusty (or crusty) Amiga should be brought out of retirement...

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 00:44:15 »

;D

At least it's more likely that you haven't tried it yet.
keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 00:47:40 »

No. Which is why I won't pretend to be an expert on it. I have norton  :doh: which I think causes more harm than a virus anyway.

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:03:44 »

I've got Norton also.

The 2003 version was wonderful. After that it went rapidly downhill. But recently they actually listened to the Customer feedback about not wanting cumbersome bloatware and it has regained all the kudos it lost in my eyes. The versions from 2009 onwards are superb.

I'd give Nortion 360 a miss, though.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 01:19:17 »

I found the simple zonelabs did the trick. nice, simple, efficient and kept out of my way

norton is always alerting me to something- virus, trojan, global warming, errors, toast burning, malware, house intruders, spyware

the list goes on... and on...

Firestar

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 01:23:31 »

Shane:

Terry, I know that there are lots of viruses for Linux, but I've never had a problem with that, plus, ClamTK comes with some Linux versions and scans automatically if you want it to.

Also, I said

"I would only use it if I used WINE"

Which, I do. I promise you Terry, I'm not being foolish.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 01:26:22 by Firestar »

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 01:25:18 »

I use Panda for several years..

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 11:02:10 »

I'd advise Bullgaurd Anti-Virus,

It's removed every virus I've ever had. That combined with Windows Defender is very good I find.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:10:38 »

Oh. Windows Defender shouldn't be allowed to be released...
It doesn't protect you. but. if you want more successfull microsoft protection. download the Microsoft Security Essentials.

I just recently went over to Avir Personal Free Antivirus. And to scan my pc for malware and Etc.

i use Malware Bytes Free :D

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 15:32:04 »

Bullguard...never heard of it, anyone use AVG here?

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 15:41:00 »

I got avast thanks to ShipAddict, after running around on the internet without any virus protection at all  :doh:
It's the crew that makes the difference

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 15:46:35 »

Now there's an  !:) MJ  :doh:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 15:48:39 by Capt. Matt »

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 18:29:07 »

The best antivirus is us, really.

But we need other protection methods, and this is what I use.

I don't have a single virus in my computer for almost one year ;) I separate my protection in two different steps:

Immunization and cleaning;

For imunization I use, "Spybot search and destroy" and "Spywareblaster", and a good browser, like firefox, or google chrome. Antivirus I use a free one, Avira antivir, firewall Comodo Firewall, very annoying, but I like it like that!

Cleaning:

Spybot, Malwarebytes, avira antivir, Superantispyware. Ccleaner for crap cleaning, and Defraggler for defragmentation.  I think that this is it. Ohh, I use revouninstaller to remove programs.

I hope that I helped! :2thumbs:

Just one word about linux and MAC, they are much more prepared for internet, and network than Windows. They are not invulnerable, but more secure than Windows. This is only my point of view ;D

Firestar

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 18:30:31 »

Spybot S&D is amazing, isn't it? I love it!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 18:31:07 »

MAC

Terry, I think there is like 1 virus for mac for every 40 for PC's.

And even then, it fights it off right away.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 18:56:27 »

It's no fun creating virii for MAC..

How would the user know that some the many faillures are caused by a virus? How will they notice the difference?

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 19:06:25 »

haha  :doh: :doh:
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Firestar

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 19:22:49 »

How would the user know that some the many faillures are caused by a virus? How will they notice the difference?

:doh:

TerryRussell

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 13:53:01 »

MAC

Terry, I think there is like 1 virus for mac for every 40 for PC's.

And even then, it fights it off right away.

But there is only about 1 MAC for ever 300 PCs in the world (source IDC worldwide sales 2004-Q4 2008, totalled annual sales), So by your own admission, MACS are much more vulnerable.

And they don't "fight it off right away". For many MAC users, the only solution is to wipe the machine and reload. Unless the new MAC software did that already (when logging in as Guest with the latest bug collection).  :evil:

It's a good thing to remember that MACs only exist because Microsoft bailed them out a few years ago to make sure that Microsoft could still make the claim that they didn't have total market domination. Since MACS represent such a tiny part of the market share, that claim is obviously outrageous.
:evil:

Firestar

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 17:29:09 »

Some people play it dirty, Fred. ;D

But there is only about 1 MAC for ever 300 PCs in the world (source IDC worldwide sales 2004-Q4 2008, totalled annual sales), So by your own admission, MACS are much more vulnerable.

And they don't "fight it off right away". For many MAC users, the only solution is to wipe the machine and reload. Unless the new MAC software did that already (when logging in as Guest with the latest bug collection).  :evil:

It's a good thing to remember that MACs only exist because Microsoft bailed them out a few years ago to make sure that Microsoft could still make the claim that they didn't have total market domination. Since MACS represent such a tiny part of the market share, that claim is obviously outrageous.
:evil:
Can't say I dislike hearing that. :lol:

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 20:11:35 »

What do people get out of making viruses? I mean the irritating ones that make your computer crash but have no return to the maker.

Mind you my friend did once make a script that, when entered into the URL bar ona any particular web page, would make all the pictures fly around the screen...  :angel:
Almost never here, try here. (http://www.cliosport.net)

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 20:14:57 »

Some people are just plain naughty..(what planet are you from ? )  ;)
Some make virusses to sell to others.. Some later get a job at anti-virus firms..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 20:32:26 by saltydog »

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 20:26:06 »

Oh i found the code by the way  ::)

javascript:R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.getElementsByTagName("img"); DIL=DI.length; function A(){for(i=0; i-DIL; i++){DIS=DI[ i ].style; DIS.position='absolute'; DIS.left=(Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5)+"px"; DIS.top=(Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5)+"px"}R++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0);

To make it stop, click back on your browser.    NOTE: IT SLOWS EVERYTHING DOWN, ESPECIALLY ON THIS PAGE...
to make it go faster, click on the link again....

EDIT: the link doesn't work, you have to copy paste into your URL :doh:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 20:33:31 by McGherkin »
Almost never here, try here. (http://www.cliosport.net)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines