Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 00:50:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Docking the Latitude  (Read 11549 times)

Subwolf

• Forum member
Docking the Latitude
« on: August 12, 2007, 13:14:33 »

Which ports got docking space for the tanker? Are there any at all without help from tugs? As you understand I haven't checked out all the ports, just know that it's impossible in Rotterdam and Hamburg.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: Docking the Latitude
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 13:49:05 »

I haven't tried it myself, but I suspect that Southampton would have enough space...
Portsmouth won't though.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 15:01:18 »

Never mind about a harbour where the LATITUDE may berth by it's own. It's not realistic at all, except a few offshore docking stations with loading fascilities or at the head of large oil piers in the Middle East perhaps. We still need sufficient tug tonnage!

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 19:22:23 »

A set of oars then. You can be at the bow, ill be at the stern and subwolf can take midship. :)

All pull together now...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 20:49:15 »

Then whats the point with this ship when you can't take her to port? I guess it's the same thing with the Titanic, as we know she's more or less hopeless in ports without tugs...as the real ship was.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 21:15:34 »

Hunterson container terminal in River Clyde is one of the few ports in the UK that can accept deep-draught tankers, and would make an excellent mission.

(Hint, hint to the VSTEP developers!  ;) )
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 14:05:36 »

Has anyone tried docking her at the Fawley Marine Terminal?  It can be found on the way up Southampton Water (Solent) on the left side not far past Calshot.  It is listed as "Fawley Marina" on the charts.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 20:02:39 »

I've never been to Southampton, is this channel into the city so tight as it is in the sim? How on earth can you get a supertanker in there? I know it's used by large ships like the Cunard liners, but in the sim I even got problems with enough space for the Red Eagle when I have to avoid the AI ships :o 

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:49:46 »

I just tried to bring the Latitude into Fawley in free roam.

Looks like she has a little to much draft as I seem to have run aground.

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 22:52:00 »

I just tried to bring the Latitude into Fawley in free roam.

Looks like she has a little to much draft as I seem to have run aground.

Yep, I've just seen that thread even if more than a week passed since the last post; well, same thing happened to me. Looks like it's impossible to take Latitude to Southampton due to draft. I wonder if it will be possible in some future version to simulate different cargo loads, i.e. different draft for the same ship in different loading conditions. That way we could bring Latitude to Southampton too (and it would be a very nice addition for big ships).
Ciao,

Corrado

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 23:47:55 »

Hello,
Found an interesting site from Southampton VTS:
http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Charts.htm with the relevant water depths.
Is the draft of Latitude not 18m?
Also, the Eastern entry of the Solent, the Nab channel, seems to be maintained at a 13.3m depth.
The Needles channel, to the West, is also limited to 12m depth (+tide).
Regards,
Luc
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 00:10:54 by LucAtC »

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 00:21:01 »

you know what,im sick of this discussion and people complaining about it , so let just say this:Be happy you've even got ship simulator 2008 in uk and be happy you can even sail the latitude but nothings interesting about docking the latitude!!!
What do you mean, could you explain what you are complaining about?
Regards,
Luc

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 00:28:42 »

Hello shipfan55,
Well, I can understand what you mean, but perhaps it concerns other threads?
As far as I read it, people are looking for a docking place for Latitude in the Solent, not sure if your contribution really helps. Also, you perhaps sometimes also wanted that or this?
Regards,
Luc

Water Weasel

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 00:37:25 »

you know what,im sick of this discussion and people complaining about it , so let just say this:Be happy you've even got ship simulator 2008 in uk and be happy you can even sail the latitude but nothings interesting about docking the latitude!!!
its just anoying with going"no,i want this ad this!no not that!no this!"

Lighten up a little.

WW

Jackal

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 00:49:15 »

??? Nobody forces you to read a thread you're not interested in.
Nobody was complaining about anything, so I really don't get your point.
People could get sick of people who can only say "I'm getting sick...".
Regards,

Corrado

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 22:02:56 »

Luc, no large ships go through the needles channel.There are so many areas that encroach into the 'channel' that I've never seen anything bigger than the wightlink go across there. Certainly no large ferries/ crusiers or freighters go that way.

Even the ferries of 6+m draught do not go that way, so a ship of latitude size isn't going to make it.

BTW... are you sure about that 18m draught??? about 6-8 decks deep? must be a hell of an engine room!

Stu

LucAtC

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 23:15:07 »

Hello Stu,
The draught is that of the sim, and is also consistent with VLCCs, look for instance at http://www.pacificenergypier400.com/index2.php?id=16 .
Also, I supposed too that the Needles channel is not the best route to Southampton for deep draught ships.
Not knowing much of British harbours (but Weymouth & Portland, Dover), the only place I knew was Bantry Bay in Ireland. Nice place, behind Whiddy Is, Glengariff "cove"(?), Bear Is with a French sailing school, and although there was no tanker in sight, it was surely deep enough. Is there a similar place in the UK?
Regards,
Luc
Edit: Thanks and sorry Kevinmcg_ships, having missed Hunterston (bulk terminal?), found Ineos (?) Finnart oil tanker terminal in Loch Long. (pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/alancaldwell/1139405205/  )
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 00:24:08 by LucAtC »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 23:39:03 »

Well we have flying ships. Load the latitude with some helium and then there will be no draft issue. It will be a hover craft!

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:06 »

Well we have flying ships. Load the latitude with some helium and then there will be no draft issue. It will be a hover craft!

LOL you'd need to fill the whole ship with helium then add a ultra large helium filled balloon above it to make that thing lift out the water!!  :D  ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Brinch

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 02:32:15 »

I believe New York has enough water depth for the VLCC, but I haven't seen any oil terminals on that map. I believe it could be docked at the container terminal on the New Jersey side of Hudson. I've seen several other possible places, but nothing to moor it to, though.

muns

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:05 »

Luc, no large ships go through the needles channel.There are so many areas that encroach into the 'channel' that I've never seen anything bigger than the wightlink go across there. Certainly no large ferries/ crusiers or freighters go that way.

Even the ferries of 6+m draught do not go that way, so a ship of latitude size isn't going to make it.

BTW... are you sure about that 18m draught??? about 6-8 decks deep? must be a hell of an engine room!

Stu

I'm sure the Stena Normandy used to run the needles channel when on route from Southampton to Cherbourg in 91-96.

Here she is in Southampton Water.

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 11:20:32 »

We need one of the oil terminals in western Norway, and a loading platform in the North Sea. Then the Latitude got something to do, we already got the sea environment needed. Vstep, this is your next job ;)

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 14:26:00 »

Correct Subwolf,

but could you show us some pics of those platforms? I'm looking for them since a while, because I want them too. But I couldn't find good ones.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 15:01:58 »

You need something like this F.S.U of shetland isle's loads 6 mabe more
a week in all weather ::)

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 16:37:32 »

Correct Subwolf,

but could you show us some pics of those platforms? I'm looking for them since a while, because I want them too. But I couldn't find good ones.

Cheers

A pic of the loading platform used on Statoil fields, and then you need our oil rig in the background at some distance as you can see. I don't think it's too difficult to create a similar loading platform in SS08 :)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines