Hello Guest June 13, 2024, 12:37:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: wale wars  (Read 16787 times)

Nathan|C

Re: wale wars
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08:13 »

A) Yup, that's Peter, the 1st Mate :-X

B) Who knows, but it's certainly no icebreaker :captain:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:02 »

A) Yup, that's Peter, the 1st Mate :-X
Our father, who art in heaven... Or the Islamic/Judaism/Hindu/Jedi/Pagan/aethiest equivelant  ::)

B) Who knows, but it's certainly no icebreaker :captain:
Our father, who art in heaven... Or the Islamic/Judaism/Hindu/Jedi/Pagan/aethiest equivelant :o

Now I see why this has been so contraversial.... A controversy- and I didn't start it and haven't even been in it.... Now that is :o :o
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:09 »

*And anyone who quotes this post to me later on when I rip somebody to bits for their grammer, punctuation and spelling is going to find that I deny writing this post. (WM you have been warned!  ;D)

Actually, Stu, I'm sitting, drinking beer & reading all this which is a bit entertaining when it's getting to wale wars between members.  ;D
keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:58 »

I wouldn't mind, WM, but on this rare occasion I'm not a combatant. I was trying to stop AA and C1 from fighting by metaphorically banging their heads together.

It's a bit like the U.N. going in as a peace keeper and getting shot at.

(I am watching my spelling, grammer and punctuation very carefully. I think I know your humour well enough by now!) :evil:
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

TerryRussell

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 12:18:13 »

(I am watching my spelling, grammer and punctuation very carefully.

As in "grammar"?  :evil:  :doh:  ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:38 »

As in "grammar"?  :evil:  :doh:  ;D

Joking aside, Terry. My spelling is getting really bad. I used to be 99.999% correct- I honestly don't know if it is me rushing, reading so much other bad prose here, stress, or CJD. Not good...  :(

Or is it a lack of Marmite in my brain?  ???

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:04 »

Old age Stuart.... :doh:
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 12:52:27 »

Old age Stuart.... :doh:

Go forth and multiply.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 16:48:49 »

The ice was small, and easy to sail through. What you're thinking of is later on, but that was the weather's fault, as the Steve Irwin was only sheltering behind an iceberg from the wind when the next morning it was surrounded by ice.
The weathers fault? Don't blame the weather, blame the guy who put them in that situation.
The gyro compass controls the pitch and roll of the ship in heavy seas, when that went offline the whole ship went bonkers, but they didn't freak out at all like you just said they did. I thought the way they handled it was really well, the crew laughed at it, whilst the people on the bridge handled and fixed it in a very professional manner I thought. The fact he fixed something so delicate in so little time I find very professional.
The gyro compass doesn’t control the pitch and the rolling of the vessel. The gyro compass indicates the ‘gyro north’. Same way that the magnetic compass indicates the ‘magnetic north’. One of the benefits of a gyro compass, is that you can connect all kinds of things on it. E.g. a pilot or a radar.

The gyro compass went bananas, causing the pilot losing its input. That’s the way the ship made crazy course changes and starting rolling and pitching because the waves were coming in from abeam.

In this case the Officer of the Watch should have turn off the pilot and steer  the ship manually or switch the pilot to magnetic compass (if the pilot has that function).
It's impossible to have a radio conversation whilst they are going at the speed they are, especially in heavy seas, if you want to stop a boat just to have a conversation whilst in pursuit of whalers then be my guest.
I followed a fast rescue training with a RIB. At the course they learn the crew of the RIB search paterns to search people who went over board. You also learn how to communicate between the ship and the RIB.
I think the way Paul Watson handled the ice field situation is self-explanatory, how can he make a fool of himself when his way of handling things is like a relief and a godsend. Peter Brown is an idiot, yes we all know that, and when Paul Watson took command everything became more calm and relaxing. But the rest of the crew isn't incompetent and unprofessional, they are geniuses hushed down by Peter Brown's stubbornness to change.
First ask the question about who putted them in that situation? In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 16:50:34 by Ballast »
It's the crew that makes the difference

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 17:30:58 »

I must admit that they don't on the whole inspire confidence and it is quite a large vessel for a 1st 'officer' who doesn't know his port from his cognac.

Perhaps that's their game plan- they don't INTENTIONALLY ram the whaling vessels...

Nathan|C

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 17:34:07 »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 17:41:00 »

It might just be down to poor editing, but it seemed to me that the anti-whalehunt ship (sorry- forgotten its name already) sent the first projectile.

I am against whale hunting, but this bunch of muppets are not helping their cause.

EDIT: If he had been shot, even with a bullet resistant vest on, he would have been a bit more shaken up than that. I wonder if any professional psychologists have watched his description after... Listen to how he says it and when he looks towards crew/camera and when he looks away.

Interesting...

EDIT2: I see looking on youtube and reading Nathans post, that I'm not the only one who thinks that is faked... A wee bit casual "you've been shot"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 17:47:50 by Stuart2007 »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 17:48:37 »

It's alllll' for the Camera... ::)
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 17:51:08 »

Looks to me like it's a piece that's broken off his wannabe sherrif badge.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 17:51:47 »

As one person on youtube wrote "it's all about seperating the gullible from their money" I never thought I'd see an organisation that would make me appreciate greenpeace!

BALLAST: No, it was shot allright, but not when captain pugwash was wearing it.

Nathan|C

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 17:53:06 »

When, In that video, you hear two bangs and then someone says "shots fired"...Those two bangs didn't sound like gunshots to me, but more like the flashbang grenades earlier in the video  ???

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 17:53:51 »

You can do wonders in photoshop et al

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 17:59:34 »

They have other video on their website, including ramming the Nishin Mauro, excellent video! They have successfully knocked their whale hunting down 500 whales per year, major effects on their money. The Japanese need 750 whales to break even.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 18:07:33 »

Yes, all very well. But they are only a gnats knacker from piracy and from piracy its a 'politicians honesty box' to terrorism.

I know you wouldn't condone terrorism, so it is quite difficult to reconcile the two points, don't you think?

siso7

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 18:22:31 »

I havn't seen Whale Wars, only the comercial for it and it looks brilliant!
I really wanna watch but I always forget when it goes :P

some of them looks a bit dumd though like in Deadliest Catch, but that dosen't that the rest of them are ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 18:25:38 »

Not according to their interview on CNN, the camera crew just records what they do, no scripts, no acting.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 18:29:03 »

Just like that hot air balloon that blew away with that kid inside it. THAT was reported as real.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 18:38:50 »

Just like that hot air balloon that blew away with that kid inside it. THAT was reported as real.

It was real, minus the kid inside...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 18:42:59 »

It was real, minus the kid inside...

You mean "kid trapped inside hot air balloon on a death defying ride across the sky. Fears for his future. Surely he will die" actually should have been "big bag blows away in wind"

and you think that means the same thing?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 18:53:31 »

Yes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines