Hello Guest June 01, 2024, 00:18:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: wale wars  (Read 16757 times)

saltydog

• Forum member
Re: wale wars
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 23:11:36 »

I'm sure the whales will be pleased that we are talking about it..
 We are emptiying the oceans allready, what do a few oversized sardines matter, right..?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 23:47:06 by saltydog »

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2009, 02:02:42 »

Hi saltydog,
Sardines are fish, whales are cetacea.
As I said earlier, please make a proper point. According to 'Wikipedia' the numbers of whales of most species are rising. I eat fish on a fairly regular basis, (most of which are born/grown/farmed in a controlled environment), whales cannot be supplied in this way.

Certain species of whale have disappeared in the last 200 years, the existing ones seem to be doing ok.

Almost all of the rare elements of a whale have been replaced by synthetic substances that are a lot cheaper and easier to get hold of, and so I cannot see why they are still hunted by the more civilised populations of the world.

Some peoples have a need for the whale meat, (maybe the innuit and other small nations throughout the world), because of their traditional diet.

This doesn't mean that I support the sort of actions that this 'Television Program' promotes.
Please remember that this 'Television Program' is produced by someone sitting in New York or London or somewhere and their only interest is 'Viewer Figures'.
If one ship rams another one at sea then you may expect that someone might be killed.

If someone isn't killed in the collision and the Japanese ship is disabled then will it be taken in tow? Or left to drift into trouble?

Playing these sorts of games is ok in SS08 but in real life it is very dangerous.

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

gibby12

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2009, 02:21:31 »

this topic seems usless what are we talking about any way

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2009, 07:15:28 »

what are we talking about

Whale Wars....

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:15 »

I don't support either...That won't make me popular, but I stand by this, like supporters stand by Sea Shepard/Whalers

Whaling is wrong - Us humans have always been the same, however, and we'll eat absolutely anything, for the sake of it...Or to try it out...There is neither a difference between me going down to the farm and ringing a chickens neck, or Harpooning a whale....
In my opinion, though, if something is killed...Every last bit of it should be eaten. A life has been sacrificed for our benefit, so we should be thankful we do have something to eat (Unlike some other countries which for years have suffered poverty). I'm no way religious, that's just my way of looking at it.

On the other hand, from a Seafarer's point of view, ramming whaling ships endangers every member aboard that ship, and the Ship which is the one doing the ramming. Worse case scenario being that one/both ships take on water - What happens then?
All Seafarer's have the right to carry out (An already dangerous job) at sea. The people onboard the whaling vessel might not entirely agree with whaling, nor do they have an interest in the job at hand - It may only be for the money.

Sea Shepard would make a better case for themselves if they didn't broadcast their actions, nor were they to use force which could potentially put both Party's lives at risk - That in itself is irresponsible of the master, whether or not he/she, or the crew are willing to go ahead with it.
The programme on TV also comes accross as being very "Staged", Like Dave said, and what I said earlier, it's all for the camera, and whether or not the Viewing figures, and Money figures stack up in an office somewhere in London/(Or wherever in America it may be).

I'm not saying Whaling is right - Nor am I saying what Sea Shepard do is wrong. I'm only looking at it from a practical, and Seafarer's point of view.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2009, 12:15:29 »

*Applause*
keep it gnarly

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 14:15:05 »

In essence I agree with Dave and Jack..Sorry for my blunt comment earlier..

siso7

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 19:01:54 »

I agree with you there, Jack!
Good post with good arguments too!  :thumbs:

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2009, 19:10:16 »

Jack, what about the part that Chickens are not endangered, and are farmed for eating. And whales are extremely endangered.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2009, 19:21:07 »

this topic seems usless what are we talking about any way

Perhaps it would be advantageous to review the content of the subject in hand before projecting an opinion to the worth of the dialogue.

Jack, what about the part that Chickens are not endangered, and are farmed for eating. And whales are extremely endangered.
I, for one, am not certain I follow your line of thinking here. Whales are, so we are told, endangered. Chickens are bred for the food chain- we are not talking about hunting chickens to extinction, are we? Or are we? Or are you suggesting that we send ships across farms to ram tractors...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 19:24:11 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 20:31:06 »

Well said Jack. :thumbs:

Regards, Dave

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2009, 21:12:31 »

F.Y.I. the Sea Sheperd's main office is in Australia, Jack.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 22:32:58 »

Hi AA,
And which TV channel is financing it?

Is the company that owns this vessel a registered charity?

Regards, Dave

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 22:52:03 »

According to Equasis Shea Shepherd UK, Londen is the registered owner. Yet she flyes the Dutch flag and has Rotterdam as port of register.

Fancy detail, Lloyd's Register has withdrawn on her as classification society  ;D
It's the crew that makes the difference

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 23:47:49 »

I had a look around and found that in fact it is a privately funded organisation, you can make donations if you go to their web site;
http://www.seashepherd.org/

Hi Ballast,
I'm not surprised that Lloyds won't underwrite her. If a ship is used to deliberately ram other ships then I can't think of anyone who would want to insure her.

Hi AA,
I think that most of us here agree with their motives, but I think their methods are not right.
They claim on their own website that they have sunk 10 ships.

regards, Dave

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2009, 23:58:02 »

Hi Ballast,
I'm not surprised that Lloyds won't underwrite her. If a ship is used to deliberately ram other ships then I can't think of anyone who would want to insure her.

Hi AA,
I think that most of us here agree with their motives, but I think their methods are not right.
They claim on their own website that they have sunk 10 ships.

regards, Dave

I wonder how she passes the Port State Inspection if she doesnt have a classification society  :-\

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2009, 02:04:21 »

I just watched the Whale Wars themed South Park episode, wasn't too happy on the way they voiced their opinions on both parties. The Japanese aren't crazed idiots who are holding a vendetta from world war 2, and Sea Shepherd aren't people who can't think of ideas on what to do and just trying to please the camera.
I hate it when South Park mock current events, their fictional stories are much more interesting than their versions of reality.

And their version of Paul Watson was pathetic, he's an honourable man who they have turned into a joke. They could've at least spoofed Peter Brown...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2009, 08:32:41 »

I wonder how she passes the Port State Inspection if she doesnt have a classification society  :-\

Probably registered and insured by dodgyistan, somewhere in an unknown land in an unexplored and unseen continent.

I just watched the Whale Wars themed South Park episode, wasn't too happy on the way they voiced their opinions on both parties. The Japanese aren't crazed idiots who are holding a vendetta from world war 2, and Sea Shepherd aren't people who can't think of ideas on <snip>

Jammy, I've read many of your points and thought some of them quite good, so why spoil it now? I don't think people watch South Park for a realistic overview of current affairs. Or historic ones for that matter.

Incidentally, honourable people (and I don't know who he is to form an opinion either way) seldom get turned into jokes by kids cartoons; their reputation rises above it- or sinks below it, whichever is the case.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:34:48 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:23 »

Apparently the whales marched the hunters to a carriage in the forest of Compiegne(France) to sign their surrender...

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2009, 11:35:04 »

Kind Regards,
Jack.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:23 »

One problem Wales is not at war.

Only Chris-S1 will understand you as you're both dyslexic!
keep it gnarly

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2009, 11:40:35 »

One problem Wales is not at war.

Oh yes, chortle, chortle... That's the first time anyone has made the comparison. How DID you think it up?  ::)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2009, 13:09:35 »

Probably registered and insured by dodgyistan, somewhere in an unknown land in an unexplored and unseen continent.

Not sure if you want to describe the Netherlands like that, since she fly the Dutch flag.  ::)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2009, 14:06:40 »

Oh yes, chortle, chortle... That's the first time anyone has made the comparison. How DID you think it up?  ::)

This from Mr Chrismas... Mr Eroutunnl...

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2009, 17:20:54 »

Not sure if you want to describe the Netherlands like that, since she fly the Dutch flag.  ::)
That surprises me, Ballast. I would have thought the Dutch would be more strict. I suppose every country has its share of questionable vessels.

This from Mr Chrismas... Mr Eroutunnl...
what are you on about now, Mr Tim?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines