Hello Guest June 07, 2024, 19:06:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Obama wants more school  (Read 20808 times)

Master Captain

• Forum member
Obama wants more school
« on: September 27, 2009, 23:11:28 »

Any american kid will go nuts here, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_more_school Yup obama wants more school, summer, school until 5pm. No life much? :P

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Obama wants more school
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 23:20:50 »

Nooooooooooooo

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 23:43:57 »

Well, you knew who you voted.  :thumbs:
keep it gnarly

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 23:44:10 »

He has my vote, if I had one.  :evil:

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:13:57 »

oh fred how could you, besides that would mean alot less activity from us americans ::)

jcm2573

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:21:43 »

He hasn't touched my school yet, i have school till 2:00 PM.:lol:
Hi, I'm Jcm2573. I usually play on the Solent servers of SS08. :captain:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:27:29 »

Well you have to look at the bigger picture...  :P

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38:31 »

I get out at 3 If he odes that hes askin for trouble :evil:

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:00:18 »

I get out when ever I want to get out.

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 02:11:43 »

Lol, what a riddiculous thing for him to do  ::)
Regards,
Jonah

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:56 »

He hasn't touched my school yet, i have school till 2:00 PM.:lol:
this isn't somethign he has done yet, he wants to though

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:39:19 »

I can't understand that....When he says, he wants to be level with the rest of the world with regards to education, I thought you had to stay in school until you were 18 over there..? Or am I wrong?

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 08:37:08 »

I can't understand that....When he says, he wants to be level with the rest of the world with regards to education, I thought you had to stay in school until you were 18 over there..? Or am I wrong?

Jack.

You have to stay though 12th grade, although my brother dropped out....

TJK

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 11:38:30 »

In Norway they are going at school from the year you get 6 years old and to 10th grade.
i thinks that are a good thin cos they are learning more, after that they can go on a high school or university to study more so around 25 to 30 year you have a good education.
the school is not a bad thing, you will have it like you self do it to be
TJK
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:42:34 by TJK »

Captain Darling

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 16:19:08 »

You obviously don't see it now, however the more school time you have plus study time the more likely it is to come out of education with the strongest possibillity with good qualifications to get a good job with a good pay which leads to a good lifestyle.

Obama is thinking of your futures, and you guys "over the pond" don't seem to see that. :-\
Regards,
James

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 16:53:38 »

indeed, school is good
not fun all times thought ;D
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 17:00:58 »

You obviously don't see it now, however the more school time you have plus study time the more likely it is to come out of education with the strongest possibillity with good qualifications to get a good job with a good pay which leads to a good lifestyle.

Obama is thinking of your futures, and you guys "over the pond" don't seem to see that. :-\

Here here. I  totally agree...

You lot should remember that a good education is the key to life...

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 17:04:56 »

indeeed   :2thumbs:
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 17:28:40 »

oh fred how could you, besides that would mean alot less activity from us americans ::)
You aren't really helping your arguement there...  ;D

I would agree with this- to a point. But no one seems to realise that years stuck in prison school isn't for everyone. I stayed on into A levels, hated it, dumped nearly all my subjects... Then took a dose of the real world and ripped up the rule book. Perhaps its the QUALITY rather than QUANTITY of school that is the issue.

PS. To those people who are against more school... No offence, but if you check your grammer, punctuation and spelling, then you might see ONE good reason to extend school... (off to dart behind a reinforced wall)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 17:34:20 by Stuart2007 »
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 17:40:52 »

I personally think, if School had more "Work Experience", It would be better. So, for example, at GCSE, you could have world experience for one day every week/two weeks. I think that would motivate "Us" more, to be honest.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 17:42:00 »

I personally think, if School had more "Work Experience", It would be better. So, for example, at GCSE, you could have world experience for one day every week/two weeks. I think that would motivate "Us" more, to be honest.

Jack.

You just want work experience to get to work on the Stena Ships  :P

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 17:44:03 »

As always, you make a good point Jack.... Back in the dark ages when I was at school, 'practical experience' was the thing that was reserved only for the thickos- a VERY BAD POLICY!!!

Now schools do seem to be going back towards the idea that some people would make good carpenter, but not a nuclear physicist; equally, a potential physicist would be rubbish with wood.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 17:57:30 »

Our education is perfectly fine how it is right now.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 18:45:15 »

i agree austin, school starts at 7:35am and ends at 2:25 but i'm at another place so it ends at 3pm for me, we go 5 days a week for 180 days per school year. And honestly some of the stuff is just so boring. in New York everything we learn is for 1 reason, to take a state test at the end of the year teachers are forced to rush through the material to finish it all in time for the tests in june. I dont get home until about 3:45 or so and if they added 2 hours it would be nearly 6 oclock! you get home, eat dinner do all your homework and go to bed, wheres the fun in that? You can't even have a life, people would be miserable with no fun or time to do hobbies or hang out with friends it would be quite bad i think. Even though schooling is good for life, there is a such thing as too much of a good thing :P Ask any student and they'll be happy to tell you how boring school can be.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 18:47:42 by Master Captain »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 19:48:50 »

My life:

School, 5 days a week. Coursework set at least once every 2 days.

After school maths tutoring every Monday for an hour, Tuesday, Day Skipper course at the Nautical College for 2 hours, Wednesday, Day for homework/revision, Thursday, Day for homework/Revision, Friday, French after school for an hour. Saturday/Sunday, Various pieces of homework set, usually French and Geography, sometimes history.

I'm always doing something!

And, Back to what me and Stuart were talking about, I certainly think more practical is needed. Only really, this year, can I see all the stuff I have learnt being of any use to me. I know specifically what I want to do as a career, and this year has been the first school year that I can almost grasp my future - I'm lucky enough to know what I want to do in life, but some people don't. BUT, the majority of me knowing what I want to do is down to the Bridge Visit to the Stena Leader (out of school), Boating (Out of school), And the day Skipper course (Out of school).

See a pattern...? - If I hadn't of done what I do out of school, I probably would be clueless as to what I want to do. I probably wouldn't even be here now, Because I might not of discovered my love for the sea! The only reason I ever really got into boating was dad, I've been boating with him since I was around 6ish, and that un-locked my love for ships, and just the general idea of the sea.

More practical at school's is needed....So People can have a taster of what they want to do. At the end of the day, it's no good doing all the theory, then actually getting down to practical, and not liking it - Or simply not being any good at it!. School's should encourage pupils to go on work experience more often, I think. And plus, on top of that, we'd actually be doing something that we really want to do. So, it gives you something to work towards, you're motivated to DO that. Rather than being given a load of Maths, English, and Science books and being told "This will help you in the future".

I'm lucky to be given the opportunities outside of school to encourage me to know what I want to do for my future, and as a result - I know what I want to do...And Nothing will stand in my way.... :evil:

There we go...my rant for the day! :lol:

Jack.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 20:02:08 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines