Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 03:48:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How do I control thrusters?

Technical Support
General Discussion

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thrusters  (Read 26313 times)

berniek

• Forum member
Thrusters
« on: September 14, 2009, 20:34:56 »

???

The thruster terminology is confusing me.The manual refers to "bow thruster steering port (left)". Does this mean the thruster is on port and will push the ship to starboard, or does it mean the thruster will push the ship to port?

How can I tell if a ship even has thrusters? Is there a listing somehere that shows which ships in the program have thusters?

I was trying to move the Titanic away from the dock but nothing was happening. Is this because the Titanic was built before thruster technology was available am I just using the thruster controls improperly? Is there a guide to using thrusters in SS? Thank you.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Thrusters
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 20:53:33 »

If you press C the thruster control will pop up.

And the manual refers to the key that will move the ship to the port side.

Titanic is not equipped with thrusters because tugs would be used to assist it into port.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 20:54:44 »

If you see this control on the screen that means the ship has a (bow) thruster:

Default keys are   < (moves bow to port) &  > (moves bow to starboard)

AHTS Fairmount Sherpa has also a stern thruster  Z (moves stern to port) &  X (to starboard)
keep it gnarly

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 21:28:08 »

I was trying to move the Titanic away from the dock but nothing was happening. Is this because the Titanic was built before thruster technology was available am I just using the thruster controls improperly? Is there a guide to using thrusters in SS? Thank you.

For the Titanic, and any other twin propellor vessel, you can turn the vessel on a very tight spot by setting one engine ahead and the other one astern. For example, when you want to turn over portside, set the starboard engine ahead and the portside engine astern. You can also set the rudder to port. For turning over starboardside, you should do the opposite...  ;)

With this way, you can easily get the Titanic away from the dock  :) When you use this trick on a vessel with 2 engines and a bowthruster, you can easily turn her on the spot.
It's the crew that makes the difference

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 21:30:51 »

Ships with thrusters:

Vermaas
Agile Solution
Fairmount Sherpa
Jumbo Javelin
Ocean Star
P6
Portoferraio Angel
Pride of Rotterdam
RPA 12
Tugboat
VLCC Latitude

I think that is all of them.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 21:32:14 »

Ships with thrusters:

Vermaas
Agile Solution
Fairmount Sherpa
Jumbo Javelin
Ocean Star
P6
Portoferraio Angel
Pride of Rotterdam
RPA 12
Tugboat
VLCC Latitude

The Latitude doenst have a bowthruster.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 21:33:15 »

+ Freedom 90.  ;)
keep it gnarly

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 21:36:14 »

+ Freedom 90.  ;)

And Freedom 90 is easier to control with the bow thruster then the rudders, in my opinion...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 21:37:43 »

Freedom 90 doesn't have bow thrusters, it just has air vents, that can be steered. Not the definition of a bow thruster.

Latitude has bow thrusters for me.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 21:38:49 »

Latitude had only a sign of a bow thruster, it was removed in 1.4.2 patch.
keep it gnarly

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 21:55:14 »

Hi AgentAustin,
The Portoferraio Angel doesn't have an official bow thruster, if you push < or > it will react, but, the controls don't show up on the bridge.

Regards, Dave

Ships with thrusters:

Vermaas
Agile Solution
Fairmount Sherpa
Jumbo Javelin
Ocean Star
P6
Portoferraio Angel
Pride of Rotterdam
RPA 12
Tugboat
VLCC Latitude

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 21:57:56 »

Hi AgentAustin,
The Portoferraio Angel doesn't have an official bow thruster, if you push < or > it will react, but, the controls don't show up on the bridge.

Regards, Dave

Are you sure, the screenshots I looked at had a bow thruster control in the wheelhouse.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 21:58:39 »

Hi AgentAustin,

Regards, Dave

The PA does have bow thruster controls, pls look on the attachement  :)

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 23:13:10 »

Hi both,
 :doh: It has been about 3/4 months since I have had time time to actually play SS08, (work and stuff  :) ). It was the Northern Star that I was thinking about.  :-[

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 23:29:26 »

IIRC wasn't it a russian destroyer which was the first ship to ever be fitted with bow thrusters? Certainly long after Titanic anyway.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 00:08:11 »

Hello Dave,

Quite right you are !  :lol:

:doh:  It was the Northern Star that I was thinking about.  :-[

The "Northern Star" is not fitted/dose not show a bow thruster, but it actualy works as if.

When you use the < or > keys the ship will move accordingly.

vr. gr. / kind regards, Erik

PS; It was fitted whith one in the 2006 version !  ::)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 00:30:39 by eviss »
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

eviss

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 00:22:31 »

Hi AA

That is quite a find you did there.  ;D

Latitude has bow thrusters for me.

Tipical, that must have been the American version then, we never seen them on Latitude !  8)

vr. gr. / kind regards, Erik
THX SF!
Redfox
"Dover-Calais in the same environement !"

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:42:01 »

Hi There,

I'd also like to let you know about the Fairmount Sherpa Thrusters (I use the Sherpa all the time, It's my main "Boat" :lol:)

You'll see two thruster controls, The top one is your Normal Bow Thruster, the  bottom one is a stern Thruster. So, For example, you're about 5 meters away, parrarel to a harbour wall on your port side, you'd push both levers left (Port for port).

Or, for  example, you want to turn around in a hurry, you'd set the thrusters opposite eachother, depending on what way you're wanting to spin.

It all comes with experience really, and being able to judge...I've had over a year with (Almost) just the Sherpa (Furie being my second boat, for pleasure Hehe).

Good luck! And, if you have any more questions, as I always say, Feel free to ask.

Kind Regards,
Jack
Tip: If you're REALLY in a hurry to turn around with the Sherpa...Set the thrusters opposite eachother, the Throttles opposite eachother, and turn the wheel either port or starboard, whatever way you're going....You'll have her turned on her length if you don't force the engine too much. You don't want to "Spin out"  Either. But it's fun, you'll like it! ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:44:57 by IRI5HJ4CK »
Kind Regards,
Jack.

ARTSHIP († 2010)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:10:16 »

Hi Jack
If you like Furie, try my mission AGILE SOLUTION ON A TIME CHARTER TRIP PART 1
Available in the Creator's Forum
I have used the Furie to tow the AS out of a narrow port in Rotterdam.
Bgds
ARTSHIP/Horst

Hi There,

I'd also like to let you know about the Fairmount Sherpa Thrusters (I use the Sherpa all the time, It's my main "Boat" :lol:)

You'll see two thruster controls, The top one is your Normal Bow Thruster, the  bottom one is a stern Thruster. So, For example, you're about 5 meters away, parrarel to a harbour wall on your port side, you'd push both levers left (Port for port).

Or, for  example, you want to turn around in a hurry, you'd set the thrusters opposite eachother, depending on what way you're wanting to spin.

It all comes with experience really, and being able to judge...I've had over a year with (Almost) just the Sherpa (Furie being my second boat, for pleasure Hehe).

Good luck! And, if you have any more questions, as I always say, Feel free to ask.

Kind Regards,
Jack
Tip: If you're REALLY in a hurry to turn around with the Sherpa...Set the thrusters opposite eachother, the Throttles opposite eachother, and turn the wheel either port or starboard, whatever way you're going....You'll have her turned on her length if you don't force the engine too much. You don't want to "Spin out"  Either. But it's fun, you'll like it! ;D

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 14:39:06 »

For the Titanic, and any other twin propellor vessel, you can turn the vessel on a very tight spot by setting one engine ahead and the other one astern. For example, when you want to turn over portside, set the starboard engine ahead and the portside engine astern. You can also set the rudder to port. For turning over starboardside, you should do the opposite...  ;)

With this way, you can easily get the Titanic away from the dock  :) When you use this trick on a vessel with 2 engines and a bowthruster, you can easily turn her on the spot.
Guess the "Titanics" Chief would cry :evil: :evil: :evil:, if the vessels master has made a decision to leave the quay in that way! Keep in mind, that there wasn't CPP's on board - and just one single rudder.
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

berniek

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 15:50:42 »

I appreciate everyone's responses but I still can't get Titanic away from the dock.Port engine reversed and starboard forward with rudder turned to port is doing nothing other than pushing the ship against the dock from which it doesn't move. The control reference chart shows using the colon and quotation keys to start the engines, which I've tried with no success. I can't really tell if these keys are doing anything. What else is there to do?

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 16:08:38 »

Is that happens always or you're talking about some mission (probably "Titanic's voyage from Southampton to New York") ?
keep it gnarly

sadsid († 2016)

• IN MEMORIAM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 16:27:11 »

Hi
You do know it can take as long as 3 to 8mins to get titanic away from quay
this was spoken about before so are you waiting long enough  :-\
                                                                                    Eric

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 17:50:03 »

Guess the "Titanics" Chief would cry :evil: :evil: :evil:, if the vessels master has made a decision to leave the quay in that way! Keep in mind, that there wasn't CPP's on board - and just one single rudder.

Yeah i know, but in real life the master would have ordered tugboats  ;D

berniek

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 18:44:14 »

Is that happens always or you're talking about some mission (probably "Titanic's voyage from Southampton to New York") ?
I haven't tried elsewhere but it's happening on The Solent mission, Titanic Voyage to New York which is toward the bottom of the SS 2008 Mission List
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines