Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 16:27:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the largest ship you've ever seen?  (Read 34354 times)

RMS Canada

• Forum member
Re: What's the largest ship you've ever seen?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 18:37:00 »

Ohh that reminds me  :doh: I see the USS Intrepid almost everyday  :thumbs: After all it is in New York Harbor ;)

I was on that, Capt. Matt. during my NYC trip.
All ahead full!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 19:16:23 »

Hats off to the pilot that landed that Concorde.. ;D

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 19:23:21 »

:lol: it was snoopy ;D

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 20:11:41 »

Hats off to the pilot that landed that Concorde.. ;D

Say...What's that doing there? I thought they are all situated at a Museum somwhere? (America had some, and so did England, If I remember right (But I may be wrong).

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 21:14:32 »

I believe that only 16 were manufactured and then 2 met their end leaving 14,  I know that I have personally seen Three on the east coast and one in the mid-west.  I know of one other in the US that leaves the two in Russia, and Finally that leaves only seven I don't know about that must be in the UK.

my2222thpost :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

jazzy01

• Forum member
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 14:23:20 »

I know of one here in the uk and there is also one at the boeing airfeild in seattle (can be seen in googlestreet).

As for the ships living in southampton I see many large liners (oriana,aurora) the biggest I have been on was the QE2 back in the 90s whilst it was docked for a refurb.

Nathan|C

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 17:22:55 »

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 17:49:32 »

The one in back not the one in front...

www.llamalord

jazzy01

• Forum member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 18:49:52 »

I beleive the one infront is a rusky built tupelov.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 21:35:28 »

The Concorde is part of an exhibit at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York.. :)   link
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 21:50:12 by saltydog »

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 22:39:28 »

Sorry the off topic will stop right after this,

I have touched three of these SR-71 Black Birds around the US, not many of those around either.

www.llamalord

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 22:56:23 »

Also remember that there is a concorde at the Boeing Field museum in seattle.

TerryRussell

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 23:13:45 »

My Dad was Senior Electrical Foreman at BAC when Concords were being built and would have been responsible for all of the electrics in all of the Concords.

His brother (my uncle) was senior hydraulics engineer and was responsible for overseeing all of the hydraulics in all of the Concords.

When I was a kid, my Dad took me to his office one day, and we went up on a test flight in Concord. It was fantastic. In those days, they could fly supersonic over land. And they did!

dudwasup

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 00:10:33 »

well ill be the one to say it were all geting off topic :doh: ;D

thanks to tjk

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 00:38:08 »

My Dad was Senior Electrical Foreman at BAC when Concords were being built and would have been responsible for all of the electrics in all of the Concords.

His brother (my uncle) was senior hydraulics engineer and was responsible for overseeing all of the hydraulics in all of the Concords.

When I was a kid, my Dad took me to his office one day, and we went up on a test flight in Concord. It was fantastic. In those days, they could fly supersonic over land. And they did!

So He's the one to blame for the accidents :doh: Im kidding of course very cool planes I heard that they stretch 6 inches when they get into the atmosphere, interesting little tidbit change this topic to What unique planes have you seen ::)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51:20 »

That's amazing Terry. Concorde certainly is a feat of pure engineering. If Corcorde were released tomorrow, I'd still blow all the other planes out of the water with it's speed and capability.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

jazzy01

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 09:01:53 »

I heard that they stretch 6 inches when they get into the atmosphere,

At its cruising altitude of around 50k feet traveling at mach 2 the surface of the aircraft would reach 100c+ which would cause it to expand.
Also the cheif test pilot once barrel rolled the concorde just to prove how stable and agile it was.

beechjetkid17

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:57 »

That's amazing Terry. Concorde certainly is a feat of pure engineering. If Corcorde were released tomorrow, I'd still blow all the other planes out of the water with it's speed and capability.

Jack.

You'd also probably be a better pilot than most airline pilots ;)

matt5674

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 05:07:27 »

I just forgot. :doh: I just remembered seeing the Carnival Legend when I was in Florida a few years ago. I don't got a picture of her but I remember her after I got to Miami (where the Carnival Legend was). I even saw her depart from Florida. I still can't believe I forgot about my vacation to Miami and saw the beautiful ship. I didn't make this up, I did see her.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 10:20:39 »

Hmmm I honestely dont know the biggest ship ive seen since I dont know the literall length, but I have seen many Norweigan Cruiselines ships, Carnivals, and Royal Carrabean, actually I dont know how large freedom of the seas is compared to other ships around here but I think that one is among the biggest :thumbs:

Thanks TJK!

matt5674

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 16:21:54 »

Hmmm I honestely dont know the biggest ship ive seen since I dont know the literall length, but I have seen many Norweigan Cruiselines ships, Carnivals, and Royal Carrabean, actually I dont know how large freedom of the seas is compared to other ships around here but I think that one is among the biggest :thumbs:
Use the Wikipedia yo find the ships' lengths

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 16:25:31 »

:P You do know that wikipedia is not a legit source ::) And I dont know half of the ships names :P

Thanks TJK!

matt5674

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 16:37:39 »

Here is the Carnival Cruise Lines info with the fleet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Cruiselines
Click on the name of a Carnival ship to see what it looks like and see the length

LukeL

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 18:17:58 »

Cool great lakes freighters...what lake was that?

both at Sault Ste. Marie

so technically they were in the St. Mary's River

but the Tregurtha was in Lake Superior, and the Burns Harbor was in Lake Huron

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 19:31:00 »

Cool Sault ste marie isnt that near where the fitz sank, I remember reading about it in a book about the fitz, and how do you pronounce Sault STE Maria? I bolded what I dont get :P

Thanks TJK!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines