Hello Guest April 29, 2024, 15:49:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the largest ship you've ever seen?  (Read 34353 times)

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
Re: What's the largest ship you've ever seen?
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2009, 21:16:57 »

Queen Mary 2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship.

For those who don't believe, see Wikipedia
Regards,
Jonah

v.h94

• Beta Tester
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2009, 22:13:44 »

QM 2 is the last of them in scervice to if it hasent been mentioned. :doh:

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
Regards,
Jonah

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2009, 04:13:18 »

Well having just spent a day on board the SMIT Donau here in Liverpool a few weeks ago, bringing the QM2 in, I'd say she's a cruise ship and not a liner.

The QM2 is a beautiful cruise ship, but that doesn't change the fact that the back of it looks like one of these 'holiday villa' type hotels (block of flats). Compared to the QE2, there's no comparison. Anything you hear about that ship being a liner, is what I'd call 'Marketing', basically clever advertising.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:25 »

Well having just spent a day on board the SMIT Donau here in Liverpool a few weeks ago,

Hi Jayshum,

This photo my interest you then..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4098830500_8c56912d14_b.jpg

Took in Liverpool.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2009, 09:51:50 »

That's a tight fit.. :)

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2009, 12:36:40 »

I would not believe everything you read on Wikipedia. :doh: The description "Liner" refers to a ship which makes regular voyages on a regular route. QM2 does not fit the description therefore, and is quite definitely a cruise ship.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Nathan|C

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2009, 17:51:30 »

Well having just spent a day on board the SMIT Donau here in Liverpool a few weeks ago, bringing the QM2 in, I'd say she's a cruise ship and not a liner.

The QM2 is a beautiful cruise ship, but that doesn't change the fact that the back of it looks like one of these 'holiday villa' type hotels (block of flats). Compared to the QE2, there's no comparison. Anything you hear about that ship being a liner, is what I'd call 'Marketing', basically clever advertising.

I would not believe everything you read on Wikipedia. :doh: The description "Liner" refers to a ship which makes regular voyages on a regular route. QM2 does not fit the description therefore, and is quite definitely a cruise ship.

And that would make the QE2 a cruise ship too then  :P

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2009, 21:20:49 »

Exactly, Jayshum- its not a cruise ship, no matter what you think, its a liner.

Traddles, that comment wasn't directed to you, but this one is-
She makes the Transatlantic crossing regularly, so that must mean she is ::) Lots of cruise ships make crossing son regular routes, and are still called Cruise ships, and not liners.

Shall i send an email off to Cunard, to see what they say? Wait! No need, because it even states on their website that she is an ocean liner! http://cunard.com/ourships/default.asp?ship=QM2

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 21:27:13 by Kapn Jonah »
Regards,
Jonah

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2009, 23:28:59 »

::) I see this ship reglarly (Note the Verazzano Narrows Bridge) http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=998580

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Quaysider

• Forum member
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2009, 00:06:49 »

::) I see this ship reglarly (Note the Verazzano Narrows Bridge) http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=998580

Coincidence Matt - just uploaded my pics of her to my website
http://www.quaysides.co.uk/benelux_break4.htm

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2009, 00:29:04 »

Nice Shots  ;) Yea shes definitely not the prettiest ship I've ever seen I like the Ever Racer (I think I put a link in the Ship Spotting topic)

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2009, 15:10:27 »

QE2 actually was designed and built as a Liner. But that's enough arguing, feel free to believe what you like, and let's be done with it (until you're all older :P).

Jack, great photo dude, nothing more fun and exciting that seeing the ACL's getting in Gladstone lock. I've had the pleasure of being aboard the various SMIT/Howard Smith/Alexandra tugs in Liverpool doing just that. First time I did was when I was about 8, on board the 'Crosby' (single-screw, Kort Nozzle), the last time I did was a couple of years ago now on the Bramley Moore (SMIT Liverpool as she's now known), and the most 'fun' time I did it was nearly ten years ago. I was on board the Trafalgar (she's gone to Taiwan now), on the Bow of Atlantic Compass. It was extremely poor weather, and as we were locked in, the wind managed to blow the Traf right into the prow of the Compass, bending the mast almost right over. Very scary at the time, but an amazing memory (and reminder of how dangerous working on the tugs can be).

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2009, 13:11:16 »

I couldn't agree more Jayshum, but having said  that, if one clicks on "Ocean liner" in the first sentence of the Wikipedia article it tells it's own story. I also tend not to believe all advertisments as they can also be wildly exaggerated. ::) Has QM2 ever done even one liner voyage? However, I beg you not to wish me to be any older, it's bad enough already. :doh:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 13:13:24 by Traddles »

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2009, 13:15:25 »

Yes Traddles, she does a regular Transatlantic Crossing.
Regards,
Jonah

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2009, 13:37:23 »

I remember seeing a thing about her on Discovery a while back in the programme Superships. (great programme  :thumbs:) She is classed as a liner and built to liner specs. She even was given RMS as a 'tribute' for her Liner-ness  :doh:

And Traddles, dont believe everything you read on wikipedia...one time it said that the Lagan Viking ran tourist boat trips around Belfast Lough  ;)  :lol:

Today, the term is usually used to refer to a ship that is constructed to a higher standard than a normal cruise ship, enabling it to cross oceans such as the Atlantic and Pacific with passengers embarked in inclement weather conditions. Characteristics of true ocean liners include heavier plating, robust scantlings, powerful engines, and high freeboards,[3] making them more seaworthy than vessels designed for short sea routes or cruises in protected waters. The only ocean liner remaining in service in 2009 was Cunard Line's Queen Mary 2, following the retirement of her running mate the Queen Elizabeth 2 in November 2008.

PS the largest ship i have seen is the Lagan Viking/Mersey Viking  :doh:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 13:40:27 by laganviking »
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2009, 13:47:14 »

Hi Jayshum,

This photo my interest you then..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2790/4098830500_8c56912d14_b.jpg

Took in Liverpool.

Jack.

The Norbay or Norbank Jack? ;)  ;D
Tut tut tut...the Vikings are much better  ;)
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2009, 14:10:52 »

They're a lot more expensive though, and you don't get the nice view of the docks as you depart!

However, I beg you not to wish me to be any older, it's bad enough already. :doh:

Respectfully Excused. :)

I don't want to drag this on, but some people find this REALLY serious, this business over whether a ship is a liner just because the company advertises it that way, or we as the minor ship experts we are choose to disagree with this idea. So serious infact, that I've had 3 pm's on the matter, all telling me I'm wrong and that I should believe what the company tells me!

Guys, has it not struck you all just how amazingly similar she (the QM2) looks to say, Carnival Destiny? Or one of the Royal Caribbean ships? Okay, she has the QE2's bow, but come on, she's a floating hotel who's purpose is to make sure guests enjoy (apparent) luxurious conditions, and eat fine food/drink etc. Granted, that's what became of the QE2, but she was originally designed to do exactly the same job as the Titanic. Take people from point A, to point B. An alternative to jet aeroplanes. Not quite a ferry, but definitely a boat for 'transporting' people.
QM2 was designed to take holidaymakers away to 'luxurious destinations', in the utmost 'luxurious surroundings'. Basically, a nice-looking bus-on-water, like every other cruise ship.

One more card I'd like to use, is the opinion of the guys who work on the tugs. The captain of the Donau, is a long time friend of mine now, called Larry. He was having a good scoff at how our local newspaper (Liverpool Echo) was hailing the QM2 as the 'finest of liners'. I can assure you, his description of what she is, isn't safe to post on this forum. The only thing he liked was the horn, as that's the only part of her which is a liner (his words, not mine!). So, as before, we all have different opinions on the matter (trivial as it is), and we all have a choice whether to believe the company which sold off the QE2 to be basically, gutted and refitted beyond recognition etc, and is trying desperately to make a profit, or not.

:)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2009, 14:21:56 »

QE2 actually was designed and built as a Liner. But that's enough arguing, feel free to believe what you like, and let's be done with it (until you're all older :P).

Jack, great photo dude, nothing more fun and exciting that seeing the ACL's getting in Gladstone lock. I've had the pleasure of being aboard the various SMIT/Howard Smith/Alexandra tugs in Liverpool doing just that. First time I did was when I was about 8, on board the 'Crosby' (single-screw, Kort Nozzle), the last time I did was a couple of years ago now on the Bramley Moore (SMIT Liverpool as she's now known), and the most 'fun' time I did it was nearly ten years ago. I was on board the Trafalgar (she's gone to Taiwan now), on the Bow of Atlantic Compass. It was extremely poor weather, and as we were locked in, the wind managed to blow the Traf right into the prow of the Compass, bending the mast almost right over. Very scary at the time, but an amazing memory (and reminder of how dangerous working on the tugs can be).

Can you please post some pics taken on board the ASD tugs?  ;D
It's the crew that makes the difference

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2009, 14:32:10 »

Agree to disagree sounds like the best way to end :doh:

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2009, 16:16:30 »

Agree to disagree sounds like the best way to end :doh:

Excellent point. Not worth the hassle. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines