Hello Guest April 30, 2024, 06:07:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: You were REAL close, Vstep, but not quite....  (Read 30760 times)

Nathan|C

Re: You were REAL close, Vstep, but not quite....
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 19:27:38 »

If Jason wants his model in SS2010 and is so interested in the game...why have I never seen him on the forum here?

TerryRussell

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 19:37:24 »

Hi people.

As Fred said earlier, this thread seems to be full of sniping.

Now can I suggest (very strongly) that now is the time to start saying nice things here. There is much that is good about Titanic. If is an incredibly detailed model, that must have consumed an immense amount of time. Jason should be truly proud of his work.

When one of you produces a vessel with the same level of detail and realism, and posts that in the non-2008 projects, then maybe you can speak to Jason as an equal.

Until then, please stop the sniping, whether in support of Jason or against another forum member. Like Fred, I really don't think this topic has much, if any, useful life in it. (Big hint, there!).

Thanks.

Now, deep breaths and think happy thoughts, please.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 18:03:23 by TerryRussell »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 20:28:05 »

Just out of interest, is Jason currently working on the model now? adding more detail etc? I'd like to see it :)

OK, please sit down before you read further otherwise you may scream.....BUT

I was always fasinated by Titanic when I was younger, had a book about her etc. and I read it so much that the pages started to fall out (That isn't a joke) :o

But when dad got a boat (he had one before I was around), That sort of developed into more general shipping interest etc. and now I usually go out on our boat, and most of the time, bring her in and out, sorry to be off topic, just chattering away *closes mouth* :D

So anyway, yes, I do like Titanic, but I'm not a fanatic, just the general marine scene now ;D :D
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 22:25:16 »

I bet Jason is making a model. I dont think its for Vstep.

I wont post on this topic anymore untill someone has a topical breakthrough and somhow comes and sees some happiness in a thread like this.

Come and join us at the ship sim wiki! www.shipsimulator.wikia.com
Head Aministrator at Ship Simulator wiki.

firestar12

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2009, 22:28:40 »

I bet Jason is making a model. I dont think its for Vstep.

I wont post on this topic anymore untill someone has a topical breakthrough and somhow comes and sees some happiness in a thread like this.
His plan was to have it added to the game I believe. Why else would he make it?

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2009, 22:31:34 »

For his own entertainment?

I always go and make models if I am bored.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2009, 04:46:45 »

I had this thought today:

If Titanic was removed, would we not continue to see just as many threads on the ship?

Not about details, but complaints and questions about her removal.

I'd imagine one would feel pretty dumb telling someone new that Titanic was taken out to reduce the number of threads on her, when this is the nth thread complaining about where she went.

Imagine this:

Someone likes Titanic, and looks for a 3D model of her, finding results from SS06 or 08 (like me; I found out about Ship Sim using that method and discovered SS06)

They go to shipsim.com to find the most recent version (SS10) and order it, figuring that the best version of the model is the latest, and figuring she isn't on the boxart because she took a back seat, not knowing it was removed.

They wait some time for the email/package, and excitedly start the game up.

They look for Titanic to play.

They don't see it, so they double check.

What is their most likely action?

Get an account on the forum and express their dissatisfaction, not knowing about "search" because they are new and mad.

Eventually, this will become the norm to take a new, unsatisfied customer's post every week or few weeks.

So, if Titanic was removed, which do you think Vstep would prefer of the following?

1) an angry, unsatisfied customer
2) several potential customers never hearing of the game because nothing relating to Ship Sim turned up when searching for a 3D Titanic model?

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2009, 05:08:24 »

titanic won't be removed, but why continue adding the smallest details, does it really matter?

TerryRussell

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2009, 05:57:03 »

Why does anyone think that Mr Gloat's desires will have any influence over whether Titanic remains or not?

:police:

;D

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:43 »

Why does anyone think that Mr Gloat's desires will have any influence over whether Titanic remains or not?

:police:

;D

He gloats on it. We should all gloat to.

Gloat - gaze at or think about something with great self-satisfaction, gratification, or joy

TerryRussell

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 06:17:04 »

The things that are going into SS2010 are quite stunning. I suspect that Titanic will not be thought of as the most impressive aspect of the simulator!

svache

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:11 »

I had this thought today:

If Titanic was removed, would we not continue to see just as many threads on the ship?

Not about details, but complaints and questions about her removal.

I'd imagine one would feel pretty dumb telling someone new that Titanic was taken out to reduce the number of threads on her, when this is the nth thread complaining about where she went.

Imagine this:

Someone likes Titanic, and looks for a 3D model of her, finding results from SS06 or 08 (like me; I found out about Ship Sim using that method and discovered SS06)

They go to shipsim.com to find the most recent version (SS10) and order it, figuring that the best version of the model is the latest, and figuring she isn't on the boxart because she took a back seat, not knowing it was removed.

They wait some time for the email/package, and excitedly start the game up.

They look for Titanic to play.

They don't see it, so they double check.

What is their most likely action?

Get an account on the forum and express their dissatisfaction, not knowing about "search" because they are new and mad.

Eventually, this will become the norm to take a new, unsatisfied customer's post every week or few weeks.

So, if Titanic was removed, which do you think Vstep would prefer of the following?

1) an angry, unsatisfied customer
2) several potential customers never hearing of the game because nothing relating to Ship Sim turned up when searching for a 3D Titanic model?
That is basically already happening with other ships, such as the inland cargo ships.. lots of players, me included, would love to see those ships back... frankly I don't care much about seaships, and even less about the Titanic (it is on the bottom of the ocean for crying out loud, how unrealistic can you be if you sail with it (besides, they want to achieve a certain realism as I keep reading...)). Some are nice tho, such as the Agile, but that is mostly because these can be handled in a similar way as inland ships..

Yes, you might indeed get unsatisfied customers, but they already have those in the form of those who miss some of the ships of SS06. And in many topics you see this returning also... for myself, if I will or will not buy SS10 depends mostly on them having inland cargo ships or not.

firestar12

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2009, 17:38:44 »

The things that are going into SS2010 are quite stunning. I suspect that Titanic will not be thought of as the most impressive aspect of the simulator!
I hope you are right, but from that teaser video you must be telling the truth!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2009, 23:37:52 »

Yup! Titanic took a back seat in SS08, and most likely will not be as prominent as in SS06 again in the forseeable future, especially if QM2 were to be added. Just about the only ships that could be added that would boost her position any would be one of the following:

Vulcan
Hector
Ajax
Neptune
Hercules

(Hey! I memorized the names of all 5 of Titanic's Southampton tugs!)

Nomadic
(most likely out of any on this list)
Traffic

(I also memorized her Cherbourg tenders, it seems!)

America
Ireland

(I'm on a roll! Queenstown tenders!)

Olympic
Britannic
(neither of her sisters are likely, since it would take years, probably, just to model them)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 23:40:08 by RMS Gigantic »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
AHA!
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2009, 21:04:51 »

It seems that I had made a bad assumption when making this thread:

I assumed Titanic had a load when undergoing sea trials.

I remember some time ago, however, on the TRMA, that pictures were shown with her much higher in the water (30 foot draft instead of 34 feet, 7 inches). I bet that the added weight that accounts for this 4 foot, 7 inch difference is why it takes so much longer for Titanic to stop, because she has more momentum!

Would that affect her turning radius, though?

TerryRussell

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2009, 21:17:11 »

If this whole thread is due to an error on your part, it's probably best to lock it, with your appology, I guess.  ;)

I'll leave that to your conscience.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2009, 21:22:44 »

Well, this isn't the first thread of mine that was started from an assumption that I later came to regret :D

That thread simply died....

But how WOULD weight affect turning ability? or is rudder rotating speed at fault there?

TerryRussell

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2009, 22:01:49 »

Well, this isn't the first thread of mine that was started from an assumption that I later came to regret :D

That thread simply died....

But how WOULD weight affect turning ability? or is rudder rotating speed at fault there?

Simple bit of physics includes the expression "1/2mv2". That should tell you that the mass will affect the turning circle radius, all other factors being equal. In real life, an increase in mass will cause the ship to side-slip somewhat more than for a lighter vessel.

The heeling moment will also be different. Depending how and where the additional mass is situated will have a further effect.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 22:05:00 by TerryRussell »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2009, 22:36:34 »

I just found something relevant to the game from Titanic: The Ship Magnificent Volume 1.

It says that Titanic's rudder could turn 40 degrees in each direction.

The game's GUI says 45.

TerryRussell

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2009, 23:28:51 »

It's not relevant in the slightest. What's to say that this "fact" is any more correct than the others you've got wrong?  :evil:

These bits of inconsequential trivia are getting very boring, to be honest.  :sleepy:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2009, 23:39:47 »

What's to say it's right?

Hmm....

It COULDN'T be that the book was written by 4 Titanic experts and edited by a 5th....

:P

Usually in these cases, it's a misinterptretation on my part.

Here is the original passage for you to read to see where I could have misread:

"As previously noted, when Titanic's wheel was put 'hard over', the rudder was able to turn a maximum of 40o."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 23:50:53 by RMS Gigantic »

Gloat

• Forum member
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2009, 00:26:24 »

One says, who cares?

Can you just Calm Down about Titanic? Do you REALLY have to fish out evidence that Vstep have produced a really bad version for their game and bore everyone with facts and figures that you yourself regretted to have started topics about in the first place?

As Terry said, Its not relevant.

Nathan|C

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2009, 01:51:06 »

Uh-Oh, The Titanic's rudders turn 5 degrees too much! Somebody must contact VSTEP and demand that they open up the model dyn and edit a lot of code for a lengthy period of time just so that the realism is there and the Titanic turns 3 seconds slower than it did! Now that sure would be noticable and get VSTEP lots of money and credi....no. It isn't happening is it?  :P

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:00 »

Uh-Oh, The Titanic's rudders turn 5 degrees too much! Somebody must contact VSTEP and demand that they open up the model dyn and edit a lot of code for a lengthy period of time just so that the realism is there and the Titanic turns 3 seconds slower than it did! Now that sure would be noticable and get VSTEP lots of money and credi....no. It isn't happening is it?  :P
Neither is it for the Pride, Nathan, neither for the Pride.

I had figured that rudder angle, like mass, affects how a ship turns, thereby affecting dynamics. I will do a little test for myself later to see how much it affects it in-game.

Nathan|C

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2009, 01:59:26 »

Yeah but the Pride is actually useful for learning modern ship navigation - And there isn't anything wrong with the rudders at the moment, or not much.

In a flat sea, with ideal conditions (no wind etc.) I cannot see 5 degrees providing much difference to the ROT? Unless somebody can prove me wrong? And anyway, that 5 Degrees isn't going to make much difference when docking.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines