Hello Guest July 27, 2024, 09:02:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Whst ship you wont miss in futures ship sims?

Latitude
- 1 (1.3%)
Red Eagle
- 2 (2.6%)
Titanic
- 25 (32.5%)
Pride of Rotterdam
- 4 (5.2%)
Jumbo Javelin
- 3 (3.9%)
Ocean star
- 0 (0%)
Herkules Atlas
- 0 (0%)
Agile solution
- 1 (1.3%)
Elbe
- 2 (2.6%)
Furie
- 1 (1.3%)
Porto ferrairo angel
- 2 (2.6%)
Red jet 4
- 2 (2.6%)
Fairmount sherpa
- 1 (1.3%)
Ducky
- 8 (10.4%)
Freedom 90
- 1 (1.3%)
Jetski
- 23 (29.9%)
Northen star
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: April 25, 2009, 23:31:05

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Forgot ship  (Read 23704 times)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: Forgot ship
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 00:20:23 »

I voted PoR this time around, just to tick Nathan off ;D

As for "why not just play SS08 for Titanic,"the model is nowhere near complete, as Vstep had described in her 2006 description. Jason still has many things to model and/or correct.

I know, let's drop the Pride of Rotterdam, too, since it isn't complete, either!

Infact, any ship larger than medium size should be dropped if we're going after incomplete ships! Not to mention all the yet-to-be-rendered/unfinished new ships for SS10.

I deeply suggest you let Vstep or whoever FINISH a model properly before dropping it.

mvsmith

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 05:19:40 »

If the Titanic model were improved, or “completed” it could be added to SS 2008 instead of including it in 2010. If Jason doesn’t “complete” it, the question is moot.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 05:37:41 »

Plus.. there is also this little detail.. that this simulator is not intended to present us with 100% accurate and finished models anyway. That's not really high on the priority list, and would hold no bearing on letting a ship go, a lot of the SS06 models could have used improvement, they left them behind too, so not being ready is not a major reason to keep it.

Pity the people that are most concern with the looks, and details in every nook and cranny of a certain ship, never actually really play the game as intended though.. I wonder if VSTEP really makes this sim for them.. I would suspect not..

Fred

*typo*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:49:59 by Mad_Fred »

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:50 »

Common, this isn't verry addult.

"I vote on Titanic biceaus to many people like Titanic"
"Oh well, then I will vote on POR just to annoy you"

This poll is useless!
(biceaus the voters made it useless)

If the Jetski is in SS2010 and not Titanic, or Ducky and not Titanic, then it just would be a waste of effort.
If you find Titanic boring, then you must find at least 1/3 of the ships in the game boring biceaus they manouver slower.

I think it would be a waste of research and work if Titanic wouldn't be added to SS2010.
She doesn't need modifications, just leave her as she is right now.

jim.smith

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 11:49:03 »

Why not leave the present vessels as they are and if VSTEP want to add more even better,it would save all disagreements and stop bad feelings amongst members.

mvsmith

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 15:31:26 »

I doubt that the decision on whether to include Titanic in 2010 will be made primarily on popularity, but upon the technical difficulties involved, although her popularity—or lack of it—might determine how much effort or resources should be devoted to her.

For most users, she is an interesting model to look at for a while and appreciate the effort that went into her, but then ignore as far as actually using her.

I doubt anyone really hates her, but those outside of her cult may get tired of the amount of space devoted to her. She has been the source of a lot of problems for technical support, mostly because they need to explain over and over why she disappears. She requires more available memory and other system resources than most other ships, and various special measures to make her work on average systems have been the cause of many “bugs”.

SS 2010 may require more system resources than 2008 because of the new sea model and other enhancements. This may exacerbate the problems with Titanic in her present state, even without the added burden of extra internal spaces that few will ever visit more than once.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 16:06:13 »

i can't vote... i can't miss any of these ships. i want to see them all in future SS's
i only want to see more ships, not less. ;)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 16:09:52 »

Common, this isn't verry addult.

"I vote on Titanic biceaus to many people like Titanic"
"Oh well, then I will vote on POR just to annoy you"

This poll is useless!
(biceaus the voters made it useless)

If the Jetski is in SS2010 and not Titanic, or Ducky and not Titanic, then it just would be a waste of effort.
If you find Titanic boring, then you must find at least 1/3 of the ships in the game boring biceaus they manouver slower.

I think it would be a waste of research and work if Titanic wouldn't be added to SS2010.
She doesn't need modifications, just leave her as she is right now.

she needs one modification, she needs to be converted to SS2010 ;D
you said the same i was thinking, i bet that 9/10 voters just vote ''something'' with no brain active

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 17:11:04 »

she needs one modification, she needs to be converted to SS2010 ;D
you said the same i was thinking, i bet that 9/10 voters just vote ''something'' with no brain active

Hehe, yes.

It is just ridiculous.

There aren't any realistic missions for Titanic are some arguments.
Well, can anyone think of a realistic mission for the Ducky? :P

My vote went to Jetski, biceaus I couldn't choose between Ducky and Jetski, and I assumed that Ducky won't be available in SS2010.

I am absolutely not a Titanic fan.
I don't care that she sank.

But I do love to sail here biceaus I think she is a nice ship.

Only one thing, who's idea was it to put a lifeboat in here??  >:( (the one behind the bridge wing outside of the ship)
It spoils the view to the stern wich makes mooring impossible without 5th camera.
Well, actually, it should be possible to hang over the edge of the bridgewing to view the side.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 17:12:43 by Sam »

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 20:16:15 »

those were collapsible lifeboats, there should be hang one on every davit actualy, but they said that ''the deck would be too full''
in fact, every davit would contain 3 boats, one between the davits, one staying on the boatdeck next to the lifeboat between the davits, and one hanging.
and the 1st class railing should also haven't been there, but davits instead of that.
then the ship would had enough lifeboats, but they discussed 5 minutes about that idea and the drawings dissapeared in the desk.

so they removed a lot of davits and lifeboats, i don't know why they kept the first 2.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 04:34:30 »

2 things that would add to realism would also make it easier to see the stern:

1) Allowing all the lifeboats to move further in, towards the deck, when the ship docks and departs, this including putting lifeboats 1 and 2 on top of collapsables A and B (though unless Jason is willing to go overtime, this is not likely to happen)

2) allowing one to tilt their head out the window and looking down the ship's side

Also, without Titanic, how could we EVER have pictures like this? ;D

Beautiful, isn't it? ;)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:59 »

I wont vote for my favorite, that would sadden some people even further..  ;D

I guess popular demand speaks for itself in this case..

mvsmith

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:02 »

The question of lifeboats obstructing the view of the stern is a non-issue. That is why she has a docking bridge.

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:49 »

The lifeboats just abaft the bridge (Port & starboard) which are swung out are there because it was common practice to have one boat each side at readiness in case of a man overboard situation. From posts on other parts of the forum it is obvious that people still frequently fall overboard on passenger ships even nowadays. Having the boats ready like this saves quite some time in an emergency. It should be remembered that in 1912 lifeboats were lowered by hand with fibre ropes which in itself was quite a tricky operation. Modern boats are lowered just by gravity in a controlled way which all makes for speed of operation. 
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

TerryRussell

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 22:08:45 »

Unlike Fred, I did vote.

I couldn't make my mind up a first whether I'd prefer to loose Titanic or Jetski.

But I made my mind up in the end.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2009, 22:29:06 »

Besides, if we lost Titanic, where would Jason's model be when it gets updated?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 22:45:28 »

The same place where other stuff that gets dropped goes.. nowhere.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 22:46:21 »

I can name entire forums that would be upset if that occured to Titanic ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 22:52:45 »

That's a different story..

But the mere existance of a model doesn't mean it should be in the game.

I know a forum where the majority, as shown so far, seems not to be..  ::)  :laugh:

Btw, do those folks there on TRMA an all, all play Shipsim too? I don't see many people besides you talking about em much here.. but I'm sure some of them are members here too , right?

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 22:59:23 »

I know every thread Jason started on the subject on his model's progress and the Ship Simulator games was recieved with much praise ;D

Oh, and someone on the TRMA is from Singapore and they want to know if the Ship Sim games are sold in that region. Are they?

TerryRussell

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 23:19:23 »

I know a forum where the majority, as shown so far, seems not to be..  ::)  :laugh:

Oh? I'll have to join that one. Can you PM me the details?  ;D

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 23:23:52 »

Sure thing, Terry.

RMSG, being received with much praise on some other forum doesn't really help VSTEP much, unless the praising ones also buy the game...  you can't live on praise..  ;D

And yeah, they are shipped there AFAIK.. and he can buy a download version if al else fails, anyway.  :)

Fred

firestar12

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2009, 01:19:28 »

I know of a place like that. *coungh(VS)cough*

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:55 »

I don't see why Titanic is getting the most votes, that's the ship that sells the game mostly.

TerryRussell

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009, 15:07:05 »

What makes you think that?

Was there some information from Vstep that they forgot to tell me about?

No-one ever tells me anything!  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines