Hello Guest May 29, 2024, 07:08:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: teaser 2010  (Read 30240 times)

ash

• Forum member
Re: teaser 2010
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2008, 22:25:34 »

i would not miss the Titanic at all. i would have imagined it as a novelty in SS06 and then it got stuck with the game and there is also nothing to do with it except sail it into a iceberg
life is expensive but it includes a trip round the sun every year!

moderator on www.ssme.heavenforum.com/forum
join for free now!

mvsmith

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 02:44:15 »

Lest you think that I am totally anti-Titanic:
About a year ago, I wrote a rather long—4.5 hour—mission that attempted to use her in a reasonable way—going to NY rather than Phi Phi.
The mission spanned five environments and was entirely about carefully navigating the ship in various situations, a demanding task that left no time for walking about counting rivets.

So far as I know, not one of the vocal fans has completed it, or even made an attempt to do so. There is little to suggest that their interest in her extends to actual navigation.
Nor, to my knowledge, have they produced any meaningful missions for her.

She may be included in SS 2010 simply because she is available—she is in the latest Pro beta even though there is probably no money to be made training officers for her—but expending effort on additional eye candy is probably not going to happen.
Perhaps, instead of including her, she should be offered for sale in the Shipyard. That way, those who really want her can put their money where their mouths are, and those who don’t care won’t be penalized by reduced performance, or delayed release.

Master Captain

• Forum member
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 03:15:58 »

i agree, it should be a shipyard item, i mean i love Titanic, but shes just a burden to try and sail most of the time, good idea ;)

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 11:25:06 »

I agree that the Titanic should be offered as a Shipyard item instead of including her in SS2010.

I have only played Titanic no more than a few times in SS2008 because there are other vessels which are more interesting and fun.  I probably have played Titanic more often in SS2006 than I did in SS2008, due to the novelty value.

To me, Titanic really belongs in the Southampton and the Atlantic Ocean. It was nice to sail her into New York in SS2008 on a "what if" scenario had she didn't hit the iceberg on that fateful night. To see her somewhere else such as Phi Phi or Rotterdam looks a bit odd & so out of place.

Have a good Christmas everyone!  :D
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:44 »

Its quite a hard thing to deal with, going from game to game. I'm hoping the Sherpa will be included in the next version. But I'm not going to get my hopes up. One thing I will say is that, me and Nathan were actually talking yesterday about certain vessel's that aren't used. For example:

The harbour tug-I haven't seen one about for quite a while now, and if you notice, POTM for example, I haven't seen a picture of her on there yet.

Vermaas-Sad to say, I've noticed the number of Vermaas users has decreased very sharply. One time the Vermaas used to be "The thing" on the servers (Especially those Marseille days)

Latitude-Again, very sad to say, I haven't seen a Latitude in a long time. Whether this is due to the fact that she is not being included in custom servers-I'm not sure.

Titanic-Delicate issue....I haven't seen a Titanic on multiplayer in a very long time. Although, I do know there are Titanic fanatics....but at the same time, I'm a tug fanatic, so, it wouldn't be fair to take away what a few people like, it would be like V-STEP removing all tugs from the game...I wouldn't be best pleased (Putting it nicely :laugh:) Also, to some people, Titanic may be the reason why they buy the game. As with any vessel in the game.

And there's a few more too.

So, what should V-STEP do, remove vessel's that aren't used.....How about remove almost all the vessels, and start a fresh? Or, should V-STEP keep all the vessels, and add new ones on. Big decision, possably a make or break.

Just my opinion.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 12:50:49 »

well said maybe bring back the royal yacht and start a fresh with SS10

join for free now!

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2008, 00:20:52 »

Well I like the Titanic (don't like the amount of threads on here going on about the most inane details that are apparently wrong about her), and I personally don't want to see any ships get dumped. I love the little tug as much as the Bugsier 2, and because of that, the game would be rubbish to me without some large ships (Vermaas, Latitude) to tow. That's what will effect my buying decision when it gets released (amount of tugs and tows). All they need is what is currently in 2008, and they have a sale. :)

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 01:23:32 »

I hate the movie, but love the ship!

The times I deliberately sink her is rare. The views are much more exciting to me 8)

But seriously, If they ever dropped Titanic, I would be off Ship Sim until she returned.

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2008, 08:37:30 »

I couldnt agree with you more Jayshum and Gigantic
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2008, 22:55:02 »

why would you not buy SS10 just because Titanic is not in it? they are not going to take SS08 off you, you can still play that

join for free now!

TerryRussell

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 23:19:56 »

Now that's a frightning concept! Imagine if Vstep came round and took back Ship Simulator 2008 because you'd bought 2010.

A bit like Microsoft coming round and taking back your XP disks if you bought Vista!  :o

ash

• Forum member
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 23:28:10 »

it would be scary and quite funny at the same time hearing about it

join for free now!

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2008, 18:56:16 »

I could imagine if you dropped Titanic in one SS, you would go back to MP on the previous version and see everyone there in a Titanic ;D

Jackobaker53

• Forum member
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2008, 21:24:11 »

Will the elbe and furie be in 2010 ship sim? (pardon me if its already been posted, not in a reading mood today  ;D)
Gypsies call themselves travellers,but most of their caravans dont have wheels

RMS Canada

• Forum member
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2008, 18:41:27 »

I saw the teaster, looks like SS08.
All ahead full!

mvsmith

« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2008, 18:53:26 »

I saw the teaster, looks like SS08.

That probably means that your computer is not capable of making it look like 2010.

mvsmith

« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2008, 21:38:46 »

I guess no one is interested in the Bora Bora environment. I doubt that I’m divulging any secret, since it is shown in the teaser. Once you have seen it from a ship, it’s hard to forget.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2008, 00:36:07 »

Never heard of Bora Bora.

mvsmith

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2008, 01:17:15 »

Never heard of Bora Bora.

I’m not surprised, as it is probably not mentioned on the TRMA site. But then, I never heard of an actual RMS Gigantic.
Bora Bora is one of the better known tropical South Pacific islands in French Polynesia—WNW of Tahiti.
The main island sits in a beautiful lagoon surrounded by coral reefs.
It’s a favorite R and R stop for Oceanographic Research Vessels.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2008, 01:32:32 »

I’m not surprised, as it is probably not mentioned on the TRMA site. But then, I never heard of an actual RMS Gigantic.
Bora Bora is one of the better known tropical South Pacific islands in French Polynesia—WNW of Tahiti.
The main island sits in a beautiful lagoon surrounded by coral reefs.
It’s a favorite R and R stop for Oceanographic Research Vessels.

Thank you for that information. As for RMS Gigantic, that was the name that was originally going to be used for the HMHS Britannic.

mvsmith

« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2008, 01:38:12 »

As for RMS Gigantic, that was the name that was originally going to be used for the HMHS Britannic.

A name bandied about by Pirie and Ismay over brandy. After they sobered up, they realized what a ridiculous name it was.

TerryRussell

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2008, 01:45:32 »

I guess no one is interested in the Bora Bora environment.

Seen one tropical paradise, you've seen 'em all, I suppose.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2008, 07:50:39 »

A name bandied about by Pirie and Ismay over brandy. After they sobered up, they realized what a ridiculous name it was.
Not even close. After Titanic sank, it seemed a taboo to name more ships after races in Greek mythology. As a result, they changed the name "RMS Gigantic" to "RMS Britannic," then World War I broke out, and the still under construction ship got called in as a hospital ship, changing her ship prefix from Royal Mail Steamer to His Majesty's Hospital Ship, that being from RMS to HMHS. The end result was HMHS Britannic.

Season

• Forum member
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2008, 09:36:24 »

I just hope, that in SS10, there will be no more missions where you have to control 2 or more ships at the same time. That's just very unrealistic and annoying, in my opinion.

mvsmith

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2008, 10:11:32 »

Not even close. After Titanic sank, it seemed a taboo to name more ships after races in Greek mythology. As a result, they changed the name "RMS Gigantic" to "RMS Britannic," then World War I broke out, and the still under construction ship got called in as a hospital ship, changing her ship prefix from Royal Mail Steamer to His Majesty's Hospital Ship, that being from RMS to HMHS. The end result was HMHS Britannic.

You should try doing some research instead of relying on myths. Long before slipway 1 under the Arrol gantry was free for the third keel, the decision was made that “Gigantic” was a ridiculous name. Shipyard workers would sometimes refer to that hull as Gigantic, but only in a joking way.
An overzealous PR man put out a brochure on the planned ships, calling the third one RMS Gigantic. The rather caustic comments from the public on that name helped spur the change.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines