Hello Guest May 01, 2024, 22:54:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDK R.I.P.  (Read 26564 times)

KPD

• Forum member
Re: SDK R.I.P.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 05:35:15 »

Unfortunately, everything is hard coded in SS08. Even the damn XML files aren't editable. That'd why I think unless VSTEP releases some sort of guide (not an extensive SDK; just some simple documents and a file editor/converter), there cannot be any community work done at all. Of course, people can design a 3D model and map it with their own textures. But that's as far as it goes. If they want their work to be installed on the game, then we're back to square one with the "subscription" scenario. :-\

Ship Sim

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 05:43:10 »

I know I am off topic but what is a good modeling program for makeing ships for the game. ???

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2007, 08:25:51 »

I know I am off topic but what is a good modeling program for makeing ships for the game. ???

Sorry to say the most expensive are the best. 3D Max!

William Bensch

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2007, 10:36:25 »

How do I know, because I was part of "THAT" mod team. We added over 130 new ships, we added around 20 new Aircraft. Made completely new Harbours. Tweaked ALL Vessels to have the "Real Life Mod" (Ship Dynamics - by me). All weapons to have the "LRG Mod". All instruments to work correctly. Made all Radar arry''s move as designed. The list of corrected and addon items is huge, way to long for me to mention here. The amount of time it took to do the mod, 1 year and 3 months. How long did Silent Hunter III last from release date ? Its still being played and Sold today, near on 5 years after its release.

So it all comes down to this, either VStep has some input in to their own future (Sales, which lets face it is what its all about for VStep) or the community will eventually do it all by themselves with NO input or semi control by VStep. The choice is yours, not mine.

im a frequent Kaleun in SH3,
  i didnt bought the SH4 yet due to, that  i think SH3 with the Grey wolf pack ad-on and the commander tool and the mod-install program are the best...they dont give out the SDK also..and for good reason;   

Willi Benz as profile name ,maybe we can start a wolfpack someday with it..

Palindromeria

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2007, 15:31:58 »

For those of us who have heard for a minimum of a year how there WILL be an SDK in the "new" version,
and who are perfectly aware that Virtual Sailor has had this function for some time ,
the same old song and dance just doesnt cut it anymore. indeed the 2008 reportedly doesnt even have a mission editor yet.

bottom line -

in the old forum techinical problems were often left unanswered. people like myself found themselves answering numerous "help me" posts on a daily basis.

moderators spend more time beating down "repetitive posts" than actually bothering to help.

despite insisting this is a simulation, far more time is devoted to eye candy.
does it really matter if i can read the inscription on the statue of liberty ?
wonder how much that costs...but hey lets not worry about an sdk despite repeted promises.

rather, lets have the NVDG or whatever they are called this week , come up with hundreds of ideas start numerous projects , and more or less jerk around and waste the time and efforts of some very talented people who were willing to help.

i recall you guys repeatedly blamed the users publicly,
( its your graphics card, its your ram , THATS why you cant switch environments without a crash)
while denying KNOWN issues that were the actual problem.  :-X

maybe if you werent in such a rush to put out a new product every 2 months ,
people like myself would actually believe that whatever you promise in "the patch" will actually occur.

Instead , i just dont believe a dang thing you say anymore.

this from someone who put in hours upon hours of beta testing / mission writing for expansion pack.

from loyalty to casual disregard.

good luck !

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 16:37:16 by Palindromeria »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2007, 21:11:59 »

I think you are being a little unfair here...
1. Moderators- have you actually looked through the forum at the help and guidance offered? I think not.
2. I'm not aware of any help requests being ignored. Can you please point these out and we moderators will look at any errors we are making?
3. Apparently good graphics that take advantage of modern graphics cards are desired by us users.
4. Does the NVDG change its name every week? It seems to still be the same as it was when I first saw it.
5. At the risk of upsetting you... If you DON'T have the minimum spec computer it WON'T work. This is not 'blaming' anyone... It's common sense and the simple truth. Sorry.
6. Vstep releases new software every 2 months? Great! I look forward to Ship Sim 2008 and 3/4

Look, I don't get paid by Vstep to moderate (none of us do) and my opinions are my own. I have my criticisms of the software, just like anyone else. But if you aren't happy with it why don't you make some constructive criticism. WHAT do you want to see change/added?

I for one am very disappointed that there isn't a SDK. But I bought 08 KNOWING that it wasn't included. If I had bought the CD and it stated there was a SDK I would be agreeing with you 100%. But it didn't. So I'm not.

Regards
Stuart

[/quote]
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Palindromeria

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2007, 22:03:31 »

when the emperor ostrich is wearing new clothes AND
sticking its head in the sand
there is no point in attempting reason.

:-*

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2007, 00:10:03 »

when the emperor ostrich is wearing new clothes AND
sticking its head in the sand
there is no point in attempting reason.

:-*

My sentiments exactly. But nevertheless, maybe you aren't beyond help. Explain to me why I'm wrong, if you will?

Stuart
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

William Bensch

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2007, 09:57:03 »

mmm ram and such

i wonder what the computer specifications of Palindromeria are...

sry to intervene but i still think this sdk isnt worth zilch at the moment due to the fact the whole sim isnt completely done,
i stopt with 2008 a.t.m ..

i wait for the patch+multiplayer...

and then i  have a better grounded opinion..

its useless to say its not worth the wait to point fingers yet.

btw can we have a spellchecker cuss my english is like charcoal. sry.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 10:05:04 »

mmm ram and such

i wonder what the computer specifications of Palindromeria are...

sry to intervene but i still think this sdk isnt worth zilch at the moment due to the fact the whole sim isnt completely done,
i stopt with 2008 a.t.m ..

i wait for the patch+multiplayer...

and then i  have a better grounded opinion..

its useless to say its not worth the wait to point fingers yet.

btw can we have a spellchecker cuss my english is like charcoal. sry.

I don't really use SDK's, so this would be kind of a 'non-starter' for me, but I guess some people would love the idea of it ;)

I am also looking forward to Multiplayer, can't wait to sail with the friends I've made here on the forums ;D

LOL @ Charcoal (your English seems fine to me ;)).  Believe me, I've seen worse English......even from people who have English as a FIRST language....shocking eh :o

Regards.

DJM.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

radpack

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 01:22:59 »

USA bash Netherlands over and over for a SDK..

gettin tyred of the same ol USA wants this, USA wants that...
  nuthin to ad just air.

I thought it was a VStep customer complaning about a feature that was promised and not provided.
The USA bash Netherlands line tells of your politics and nothing else.
US Army Vessel Master

William Bensch

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 10:01:59 »

I thought it was a VStep customer complaning about a feature that was promised and not provided.
The USA bash Netherlands line tells of your politics and nothing else.

fingerpointing are your thoughts...not mine...

we build boats...u only sail them..

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 22:49:31 »

Perhaps we could stop this Netherlands Vs U.S. arguement...?

We're all supposed to be friends...

Stu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines