Hello Guest September 14, 2024, 23:19:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SS09 PIC???????????????????  (Read 6875 times)

trains

• Forum member
SS09 PIC???????????????????
« on: September 17, 2008, 22:51:56 »

just found this on the vstep website. is this a preview of SS09????????????????

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: SS09 PIC???????????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 23:07:17 »

Nope.  :)

Fred

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 23:22:38 »

awww... looked like one. detail looks better in that picture. what is it then?

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 23:24:51 »

I'm not quite sure, but I have seen that image before, quite some time ago. I think it's a beta stage image from when SS08 was still being developed. Where did you come across it exactly?

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 23:44:25 »

Oh boy! Oh boy!
Are we finally going to get the Sherpa? I’ve been waiting ever so long for it.
Will it be on the Shipyard this month? I hope VSTEP isn’t lying to us again.
It is now this month but I don’t see Sherpa on the Shipyard! Just another broken promise from VSTEP!
They must scrap QuestViewer and use what FSX uses so that we can get our stuff faster.

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 23:54:57 »

on the vstep home page Fred. it just appeared in the top.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 00:33:52 »

Ah yeah, I was looking at the shipsim page, my mistake. Cheers. I knew I had seen it somewhere before.  ;D

And Marty... good one.  ;D

matt5674

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 06:01:40 »

i know what ship simulator pic it came from...the undeveloped ss07,which later became ss08,because i went to find files of ss07 and found this picture of a fairmount sherpa with amazing graphics

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:22:58 »

just found this on the vstep website. is this a preview of SS09????????????????

ahh i hate to say it but nope i think it looks like a SS06 model of shepra, although that thing looks like a beast, why cant Farimouth Shepra look like that, and i bet other ships look as  good as that but why has VSTEP ignored all that detail, that's how the ships meant to have looked like in SS08

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Nathan|C

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:35:40 »

It's likely that a lot of the detail was taken off to aid PC performance.

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:45:51 »

Hi guys,

I don't think this picture come from any version (even an old beta) of Ship Simulator.

It's probably a static 3d image realized (probably by vstep) for the shipyard (Niigata) that built the two fairmount sisters (Sherpa and Summit), before they were actually built.

Do you want a proof of this ?

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMIV/MMIVJun2.html

the date of this article (and probably of this picture too) is June 2, 2004.

Thanks images.google.com !

And thanks Marty, your post was very fun ;)

regards,

Denis
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:52:20 by Denis »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:22 »

Denis got a point!  ;D

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 14:37:48 »

I'll admit it, my heart fluttered for a second upon opening this thread!

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 16:32:05 »

Hi Denis.

That's certainly the one! Well found on your part!

Marty, 100% agreement from me!

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 16:43:32 »

A little off topic I know, but I wonder how many of the "Experts" realise what the name "Vstep" represents ???
It stands for "Virtual Safety Training & Education Platform." Which in itself does explain why perhaps the simulator is only part of the great work that the company is involved in. Vstep is not just a gaming company but a very serious safety training organisation too. It could also explain why Vstep themselves have not the time to spare to answer fatuous questions at a seconds notice.

Angus.
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 16:46:08 »

Oh boy! Oh boy!
Are we finally going to get the Sherpa? I’ve been waiting ever so long for it.
Will it be on the Shipyard this month? I hope VSTEP isn’t lying to us again.
It is now this month but I don’t see Sherpa on the Shipyard! Just another broken promise from VSTEP!
They must scrap QuestViewer and use what FSX uses so that we can get our stuff faster.

I can't follow.

Is this Irony?

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 16:54:39 »

Well, yes. Hence the responses from Fred, Denis and myself.

Mvsmith's sense of humour is excellent! But it is a bit too advanced for some people, I know.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 06:39:27 »

It's likely that a lot of the detail was taken off to aid PC performance.

hmmm.... im something dosen't add up.... i have seen games with high graphics  like the Deadliest catch or Rainbow Raven Sheild 3 and they work perfectly fine, but SS08 is not releasing it's full detail potentials such as the picture in this topic of Shepra. Strange, other comp create big graphics but somehow manage to make their high graphic games work fine but VSTEP produces the same quality but the has to "cut" back on detail because of the great amount of polygons found in each of the vessels and believe users will have a hard time running the ships on their computers IF all the ships in this game had in fact their full realism.

I wonder if vstep is using the right tools here, because some tools can acualty keep the high detail without having to "cut" back on detail which yes it would have affected your pc performace.Just another trick that some gaming or sim companies use when they make such high quality games.   

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 06:49:20 »

As explained by Denis in this topic, it's not a picture from SS08 and as such nothing was 'cut back'.

And to be honest, looking at that picture, I see less, not more detail. It's got some features that our sherpa has not got, but ours is more detailed, just look at the wheelhouse for example.

The SS08 graphics are fine the way they are and nothing is held back unless it means that it would make the game much too heavy for the average user. The tools are perfect, as they use basically the same ones that others do, like 3DSMAX.

Plus, none of the 'big boys' tools have to cut back on things, they can produce top notch models, but pc specs have to be taken into account. I've seen a lot of pre-release stuff from other game developers aswell, and initially things are usually 'heavier' than what ends up in the release. Or else they would miss out on a lot of customers.

And what high graphic games do you mean? You can't just compare this one on one with say, first person shooters that have a very limited enviroment, which leaves more room for detail. So you can't take Rainbow six as an example, and Deadliest catch doesn't look THAT good, I run it on full graphics and SS08 looks much better.

Fred

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 09:58:53 »

As explained by Denis in this topic, it's not a picture from SS08 and as such nothing was 'cut back'.

And to be honest, looking at that picture, I see less, not more detail. It's got some features that our sherpa has not got, but ours is more detailed, just look at the wheelhouse for example.

The SS08 graphics are fine the way they are and nothing is held back unless it means that it would make the game much too heavy for the average user. The tools are perfect, as they use basically the same ones that others do, like 3DSMAX.

Plus, none of the 'big boys' tools have to cut back on things, they can produce top notch models, but pc specs have to be taken into account. I've seen a lot of pre-release stuff from other game developers aswell, and initially things are usually 'heavier' than what ends up in the release. Or else they would miss out on a lot of customers.

And what high graphic games do you mean? You can't just compare this one on one with say, first person shooters that have a very limited enviroment, which leaves more room for detail. So you can't take Rainbow six as an example, and Deadliest catch doesn't look THAT good, I run it on full graphics and SS08 looks much better.

Fred

my meaning of cut back, i was referring to the rubber tires on the sides and the flag and maybe the texture and colour of the chimneys being left out, just that i see alot more things attached to a ship or boat let;s say RPA 12 such as tires used for when the ship docs or the most important this that every boat people on board the crew inside and out with their own special uniforms spread around and standing or sitting down, evrytime it drove a ship it looks like a ghost, thats what i mean, overall im happy with the detail of each ship, probably a bit of polish(make the metal shine) for the Arie visser,Pilots and Agile Solutions (metal parts), i just feel lonely when i drive a boat she has no crew, no Capitan....it's the little things that count... :), pretty much thigs that get left out or even some of the engine sounds such as the pushboat because to me they sound like shepra's engines, i really doubt that they are acualy pushboat engine sounds , not the detail, thats 100% Perfect ;)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2480339005603973176 - acual pushboat engine sounds
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:33:53 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 16:36:48 »

Well, the people on board, if you mean them to be animated, are as yet not really feasable due to it becoming to heavy to run on most pc's then. Maybe in the future though. It is indeed lonely on board, but even with people there, you'lll still really be alone, they're just textured 3d models, if they make you feel less lonely, then you might need to hang out with actual people more.. hehe..  ;D

And engine sounds, well, if you base it on over modulated sounds on amateur video recordings of any similar looking ship, of which you don't actually know the engine specs, then you won't really get a clear picture at all, and unless you've been on the exact ships in question and have first hand knowledge of their sounds, you are just speculating, to be honest.  :)

And that picture of the Sherpa, that's not incredibly realistic, as the chimneys are not that big and shiney, the tires are not there in real life, and the cranes are the wrong color, to name a few things. See below, the artistic impression, the real thing, and ours. You'll find that our Sherpa is much like the real thing, as far as details go.  ;D

Fred
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 16:44:56 by Mad_Fred »

Nathan|C

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 16:49:25 »

Looking at the image of the real Sherpa, it seems we have windows that aren't meant to be there underneath the bridge, and we have too many blue shapes on the side....still love it though  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 16:50:57 by Nathan|C »

sonarman

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 16:50:49 »

Weren't a few things indeed cut back? ... I seem to remember a heavy lifter ship called "Fairmount Fjell" in early videos and to quote the play.com sales description for the game...

"Complex and challenging missions, including ship chases, container loading, fire-fighting and exciting rescue operations.

Two cranes for container loading and unloading, which can be controlled by the player.

The game has been sold under this sales blurb since it first came out and these features have been missing and  never added. Although strangely the P6 patrol boat does seem to be perfectly capable of firefighting in VStep's "Rescue sim: Port incident management" program. And what happened to the crane on the oil rig seen in pre release videos?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 16:54:48 by sonarman »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 07:20:44 »

Well, the people on board, if you mean them to be animated, are as yet not really feasable due to it becoming to heavy to run on most pc's then. Maybe in the future though. It is indeed lonely on board, but even with people there, you'lll still really be alone, they're just textured 3d models, if they make you feel less lonely, then you might need to hang out with actual people more.. hehe..  ;D

And engine sounds, well, if you base it on over modulated sounds on amateur video recordings of any similar looking ship, of which you don't actually know the engine specs, then you won't really get a clear picture at all, and unless you've been on the exact ships in question and have first hand knowledge of their sounds, you are just speculating, to be honest.  :)

And that picture of the Sherpa, that's not incredibly realistic, as the chimneys are not that big and shiney, the tires are not there in real life, and the cranes are the wrong color, to name a few things. See below, the artistic impression, the real thing, and ours. You'll find that our Sherpa is much like the real thing, as far as details go.  ;D

Fred

thats it! what is missig from real Sherpa pic is that black stuff where the anchors are, whic may load to another topic somewhere

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Sam

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 13:59:51 »

Well, yes. Hence the responses from Fred, Denis and myself.

Mvsmith's sense of humour is excellent! But it is a bit too advanced for some people, I know.

Well, it is difficult for me to understand beceaus my motherlanguage is Dutch  ;)

What do you mean with black stuff?
The rubber?

Can't you see that the real ship allso doesn't have that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 14:06:07 by Sam »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines