Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 18:21:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Editor  (Read 31082 times)

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
Re: Ship Editor
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 19:25:31 »

In the future you will have to send me some of those designs my way . . .  As well as tell me your technique. ;)
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 20:55:21 »

In the past I did repaints of trucks with my own colors and logo's, dds files. with adobe photoshop. The avator I use here on the forum also made by my own. ;D

Ship Sim

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 21:07:10 »

I would like to make my own ships. I would like to have my own desinge ships in the game. ;D

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 22:22:23 »

In the past I did repaints of trucks with my own colors and logo's, dds files. with adobe photoshop. The avator I use here on the forum also made by my own. ;D

Nice work. I am an Illustrator and PS kind of guy.
-Dave

Barry

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 02:17:52 »

I would like to make my own ships. I would like to have my own desinge ships in the game. ;D

Download freeship if you wish to experiment. The hull design part is a free download.
It automatically makes the mesh of the hull depending on how you set it up, and you can then alter it.
Export as dxf or obj I think and import into Blender.
and then add whatever you want.
Blender is free and open source.
Barry

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:19:37 by Barry »

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 06:44:24 »

Thanks Barry!
-Dave

Barry

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 14:29:38 »

The link I gave for freeship in this thread I think was for the download page.
Main. Home page with details  is
http://www.delftship.net/

Thanks

Barry

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 19:59:51 »

Thanks again, you have always been of great assistance. How is your scenery work coming along?
-Dave

Barry

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 23:34:47 »

Hello Dave.

In a bit of a limbo with simulators.

Can make any scenery in an about an hour (anybody can), terrain, guessed depths and basic textures amd made most of the West side of UK in about 40 to 60 miles sections in 14 sceneries, added my own content c1800,  but limited as software 5 years old, although srtm2 satellite data and terrain won't change.

Case of waiting for the next version of Stentec, sailing sim beta due Sept, and probably get ship sim come July, although not quite my interests, but will be intersting to see what ideas they come up.
We will see what happens, and at least we have 3 sail and motorboat simulators now (not racing types) and we had none 5 years or so ago.

Barry

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:53 »

Motoboat simulator looks like it is a little ahead of Ship Sim in terms of vessel dynamics, waves, etc . . . However, it seems that VStep has made the ship sim with the best graphics thus far . . .
-Dave

rvm3192

• Forum member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 22:32:31 »

If it comes out, wut I fear is wut happenes when Shipsim... 2010 comes out? All of the ships made 4 ship sim 2008 will be useless. And people will have to make them again.
bon voyage! :)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2007, 14:19:43 »

I downloaded delftship but found that it was a little to technical for me!

Barry

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2007, 20:11:42 »

I downloaded delftship but found that it was a little to technical for me!

Hi - Its a while ago since used it.
I think it only shows one side of the hull.
You can set it to show both sides, and it will then export both side together as dxf I think and import into Blender to finish it or any content creation program that will import it.

Its basically shows one side of  a mesh of a hull which you  set up however you like,  and you can pull it into any shape using little "handles", on the sides. That is if it hasn't changed since I used it.
I made a "freestyle" hull for a sailing ship using it,  and finished it with Blender, for the masts, etc, which I have in my sceneries.

No idea myself how to use it properly based on plans, etc.
Maybe somone else may give more details?

Barry

ikeja1961

• Forum member
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2007, 17:29:05 »

Can hear the whooshing sound as all this goes over my head! How on Earth do you start to adapt this to your own likes?  ;D

Barry

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 18:19:40 »

Can hear the whooshing sound as all this goes over my head! How on Earth do you start to adapt this to your own likes?  ;D

If interested you would probably need to experiment.
Reading about something always sounds more complicated than the actual thing.
You already have a rowing boat as open hull.
Import into Blender. Seal the top and open end. scale it up by pressing S.
Move the mouse and you have a liner... ;)

Barry

:)

Cdre Gibs

• Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2007, 04:08:13 »

As a Model and Skin person I'm most pleased to hear about the intended Ship Editor. I can only hope that as a serious Modeler that it has 3D Max Support built in.

What I'm also hoping is that its basicaly a MDK (Mod Developers Kit) which includes things like a 3D Importer/Extractor, Achive Complier/Decompiler, Sound editor, Animation Editor, Map/Chart Editor (for the addition of new global areas) and a Partical Editor.

Also the inclusion of the Nav/GPS system from SS06 Pro would be outstanding or at least a way to port it across to SS08.

Clear skies and fair seas.
Cdre Gibs
out.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 04:09:57 by Cdre Gibs »

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2007, 09:32:03 »

This Ships Editor, will it bee Ready ships texture, Hull and littel more simpel/easy than 3Dmax studio?? Gona love it, if we can learn it fast! :D

Cdre Gibs

• Forum member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2007, 10:13:42 »

If the preposed editor is confined to premade parts then you will limit the amount of ships one can make. If you want any ship to be included, then it must take the form of a serious set of Utils like those I mention above, to enable the importing of any vessel. Limit the editor, limit the sim. Its that simple.

I know a lot of ppl can't either get or even use a 3D program like Max, but the upside is that if it supported you will get better models of ships. Simple 3D programs are just not up to the level of detail you will want nor for that matter what would be on par with whats already in the sim. If you wish to detract from SS, then by all means push for a limited editor. I on the other hand would go for the best that we can get to maximize the potential of the sim.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:15:13 by Cdre Gibs »

alazose

• Forum member
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2007, 20:33:49 »

As Wout wrote before, the ship editor is not an instrument to create new vessels, it´s for the fine tuning of the existing vessels. You may change the depth or several other things, which have an influence to the ships dynamics.

Cheers

See what I mean by contradictory?  What is "fine tuning", changing the depth?  Like I said, I will be very pleasantly surprised...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2007, 20:35:46 »

See what I mean by contradictory?  What is "fine tuning", changing the depth?  Like I said, I will be very pleasantly surprised...

Yes and then after that Wout said to Make And Publish!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 22:16:08 »

Sadly things do change. I planned to have won the lottery by now, but I had to change my plans ;)

Many people, myself included, are disappointed that SDK isn't going to be included but Pjotr & Mark explained why. It is ust not possible to make an interface that the average user can use.

Comparison to 'other ship simulators'- where you CAN add a ship- is meaningless, as I don't reallythink they are to the same level as SS- in terms of complexity of dynamic model.

The problem is that if Vstep is correct and that the ship editor would take more work than the original game- would enough people REALLY buy it to make it worth their while? (please don't mention 'free'- if it's that complicated it isn't going to be free).

That said, I think it's a shame...

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 23:13:27 »

I would really like to make alpha tests of ships in Ship Simulator. But that's not the way it's going to be.
We who proudly add our daily expensive time in making ship models and design them from bottom to the top will have to send it in... to VSTEP. And I mean, it's impossible to me to know if they will manage to get the model work inside the game or not. My ship model may even contain several bugs, like errors in the face structure, un-welded vertex points, material errors etc. :-\

I know that for the Quest 3D engine you have a converter that can covert 3DS-files to X-files ( I got the Quest 3D application myself bought from Act-3D - what a "nice" price). The X-files are then placed into the scene and you start to add behavior, animations, materials, light conditions etc.

If it's so hard to program a SDK (which I fully agree that it will), maybe you can make something more simple, like a test environment where we can at least debug our ship models before we send them in to VSTEP (???)

It would be nice just to see if the ship model occurs like you have made it, and not like a buggy object which makes no sense. :-\

A pre-SDK would be nice. :)  I'm not asking for the source code of the game her, just a testing environment.
Would that be so extremely hard to program? ???

I can even setup a water environment in Quest 3D myself If I want, but I'm still a completely newbie to this application. :D

More about Quest3D: http://www.quest3d.com/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 23:15:42 by JHB »

Barry

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 23:16:24 »

Edited
Barry

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:06:15 by Barry »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2007, 23:23:05 »

I find myself agreeing with JHB.

I've said before- expecting a simple editor to 'plug in your ship and play' is totally unrealistic- most of us wouldn't know how the ship really behaves anyway- but, as JHB says- a cut down version that allows us to get a close approxmation- even if it takes us a while to learn to use, would be a great tool.

In the same way that vstep made 2006 pro- an enhanced version of 08 with a limited SDK (obviously it would have to be at a higher price) would be a good thing.

In any case, could a template be taken from another ship for dynamics- for example, just HOW different is any ferry of the 30000+ size different from PoR?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 01:34:30 »

Agreeing with someone?? Stuart?? ;D ;D

The problem is (or seems to be) that Vstep's engine does not use parameters of the "real" ships as the basis for handling characteristics but instead uses a series of secondary parameters (turning radius, acceleration, etc) that could easily be inconsistent (and have been shown to be so in many cases). I suspect that this is the reason for flying ships and other problems that mean a lot of individual programming work to get a ship to function in SS.

I am switching my energies (such as they are) to VS -- the graphics are not so good, and there are other problems, but the handling is much more predictable and realistic, and that is all I care about.

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines