Hello Guest June 15, 2024, 23:17:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Editor  (Read 31409 times)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Ship Editor
« on: May 03, 2007, 16:37:46 »

In ss08 i've heard that there will be a ship editor shortly afterwards. Will this be cheap and easy to use?

Thanks  :)

krishnaiow

• Forum member
Re: Ship Editor
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 17:01:42 »

does anyone know what kind of things you can edit on the ships using the editor, i presume the liveries of the ships but what else?

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 18:42:35 »

I do know that you can make your own ships. ;D

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 20:08:45 »

You can more or less add your vessels and then plug in their dynamics to function within the game.

Honestly I am a bit concerned about quality control. I hope this does not cause a massive influx of terribly made vessels. Of course, we do not have to add them if we choose not to, but still, I always feel that is something that did not always look good for the reputation of MSFS.
-Dave

Moderator, Ship Simulator Official Forums
Founder, The Ship Simulator New Vessel Design Group
Designer - Print, Branding, Fashion, Identity Systems

The New Vessel Design Group - Bringing gamers ideas to Ship Simulator

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 22:48:34 »

The ship-editor will be free to download and you will be able to adjust almost all real-life influences on ships. The editor will make simulation as accurate as possible.

We are thinking about a solution for badly created ships. Maybe some kind of rating system.
Wout

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 23:37:40 »

The ship-editor will be free to download and you will be able to adjust almost all real-life influences on ships. The editor will make simulation as accurate as possible.

We are thinking about a solution for badly created ships. Maybe some kind of rating system.

Whew!! I would like to discuss more about this solution you guys are coming up with.
-Dave

Barry

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 20:03:59 »

Are these ships to be added by Vstep, or made to be hosted on their web server to be downloaded after being made. Obviously if you make them for yourself and install them yourself you make exactly what YOU want not what others dictate you should have, whether is a broken down barge, or a sailing barge with engine and sails that are torn to shreds.

The same applies if you make them available for others that wish to download them from your own webesite then that is up to the user with NOTHING to do with quality whatsover.

However I can only assume Vstep intend to make them available from their web server then of course that is entirely up to them what they wish to host on it.

Barry

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 20:08:24 by Barry »

Mercante

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 21:34:01 »

Hello,

I have several doubts:

1º We must have the VSTEP permission to create ours freely addons?
2º Only VSTEP will be able to say if they are acceptable?

If this is not correct, then we will be able to create and integrate ours addons freely, without VSTEP control?

Thanks,
mercante

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 05:56:35 »

I do not think they will have control of it . . . Of course, I could be incorrect. More information regarding these concerns to come once one of the devs see your post.
-Dave

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 07:28:59 »

I like the idea of quality control. Just take a look at the Virtual Sailor side and you find a mountain of add-ons that have very poor designed hulls and superstructures. Some doesn’t even have a detailed bridge or some kind of instruments. It looks more like it’s just about building a ship model in the fastest way using Skethup and releases it without thinking.
Many of those add-ons are even not updated. :-\

There is a bunch of “wannabes” that release their first model ever built where parts are out of scale, terrible texturing and a hard-edged hull and where you start wondering if you are sailing a 6-sided big box with some kind of funnel at the top...

So yeah… quality control makes sense.  8)

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 08:54:22 »

Greetings,
I think,we must leave modelling to the modelmakers among us.This means that you dont can be creative,but we need to keep our standards of models quite high.I've seen some models,which are hardly called models.Now i can understand that people have to learn,how to make a model,which is good.However for the game it's a quite different story.
I do believe that among our members is quite some potentiale,in matter of modelmaking.
If you know for yourself,that you are good in this stuff(which i'm not),please do come out with your model.However dont be dissepointment,if your model,will not go in the game,at ones.
We will,promote creativity at all times.
Kind Regards
Marc
N

Mercante

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 12:28:46 »

Ok, Thanks for all replies..

But.. is not more better that all modellers (novices or experts) can create / integrate any addon without VSTEP control?..

..VSTEP sells SS to all customers, and this customer is free to integrate in SS any addon that wants, is not better?

The SS have one mission...: enjoy to all public, then is not a strictly professional simulator, then is not necessary to take control and to decide then that addons can be integrated (or not) in the game.

The case of Virtual Sailor is that it is the marine simulator more opened that exists, and SS would have to follow their steps..... the user can take a final decision...: install or not install this "terribly" addon.

Thanks,
mercante

Barry

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 12:50:11 »

I won't comment further and deleted my post, but if you are interested in starting to make content for yourself and  for ships, boats, buildings or dockside content, to whatever quality you want,  there are a few basic tutorials on my site for "Blender" (free and open source). Will also export to .x complete with texture for VS, however I use vrml97 for my content.  Also tutorial for making srtm2 satellite data sceneries but for the Stentec sail and motorboat simulator.
There is also a basic "blend" file I made for an animated watermill you can download if you wish to experiment and alter or export to whatever file type.
Must add... no idea if it will be of any use for ship simulator  as I do not know what file types will eventually be decided on, but Blender can export to a variety of types.

For my part I will wait and see if ship sim eventually becomes a user-friendly ship and sailing simulator, with easy to add content and satellite based sceneries to whatever quality you wish to make them and for whatever era.

Barry

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:18:14 by Barry »

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 21:49:59 »

VStep will not be in direct control. Everyone will be able to make and publish his own ship. However, VStep might rate some ships as 'reliable' for instance. We are not sure about that yet.
Wout

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 03:18:51 »

VStep will not be in direct control. Everyone will be able to make and publish his own ship. However, VStep might rate some ships as 'reliable' for instance. We are not sure about that yet.

This is a simular system to a lot of the popular online simulator resoource sites.

Do we know, however, if 3d party vessels will have walk around and damage features, or will those be VStep generated specific?
-Dave

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 15:55:30 »

Greetings,
As far as i can understand,you can makke your onw vessels,with this editor stuff.
Or do i see that wrong??
However,what about our members,which can not make even a simple model(i can tell you,i'm surely one of them).
They can never make a extra model for themself,or woulld there be some modelbank,where we can pick up some model.
How would this system works,for the (cannot-modelmakers).
REgards
Marc
N

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 16:05:43 »

As Wout wrote before, the ship editor is not an instrument to create new vessels, it´s for the fine tuning of the existing vessels. You may change the depth or several other things, which have an influence to the ships dynamics.

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 16:17:32 »

As Wout wrote before, the ship editor is not an instrument to create new vessels, it´s for the fine tuning of the existing vessels. You may change the depth or several other things, which have an influence to the ships dynamics.

Cheers
Greetings,
Thanks for this info,now i understand what tool it is.
Regards
Marc
N

krishnaiow

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 16:28:29 »

can u stil change the design of the ships for example the colours and paint schemes of the ships?

for example if i wanted to repaint some of the ships a different colour?

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 16:39:36 »

Nope!
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Barry

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 17:04:38 »

As far as I can see the statement says MAKE not edit, and there are various ship designer programs available for the hulls etc such as freeship which you can download, and finish the top with another program, etc. Not much point in just editing a configuration table for a ship already made.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Freeship.shtml

"Everyone will be able to make and publish his own ship".

But we will see what Vstep eventually decide.

Barry

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 17:09:04 by Barry »

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 18:14:07 »

Greetings,
Yes, i understand this whole system now,but some kind of modelbank,might be usefull for everyone.
Lets say,you have create a very nice model,from an existing one.Maybe you want to share it with the rest of the members,so than they could go on this bank,and download it.The same if you like a model.
Offcourse it's better that vstep,can keep an eye on it.They understand the difference between a good,very good or bad model.
And it would be more secure to download it from them.
This is my point of view.
Regards
Marc
N

Mercante

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 19:08:10 »

Yes, this is the way that VSTEP would have to follow... ever all modders can make own designs and integrate this on SS, this is the best way to follow.. and SS2008 (and future) will become the favorite ship simulator for many 3D artists and gamers.

Thanks,
mercante

AriesDW

• NVDG
  • Moderator, NVDG
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 17:02:59 »

It has been discussed for some time now that this would be a tool for adding as well as modifying vessels for Ship Simulator. Unless VStep is suddenly changing course, which I do not think they would in this matter because it has been a major, major issue for some time, I think we can safely consider it like most game editing tools - something you can add to the game and edit what is in it already.
-Dave

JoMach

• Dutch Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 19:07:24 »

The only thing that I will do is giving the vessel and barge my own colors and logo´s ;D I´m not zo good in modelling but repaint I love it to do. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines