Hello Guest May 16, 2024, 22:08:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: wale wars  (Read 16672 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
Re: wale wars
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 18:56:29 »

Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

captain qwerty

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 19:15:19 »

has anyone seen what ship is going to join the steve Irwin next series (hint: its a record braker)

captain qwerty

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 19:17:56 »

Yay, the idiot first mate has left :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 19:22:46 »

Good. Has the idiot captain left as well?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Wave Music

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 19:23:07 »

Read the red edits & the last post in that topic, if you don't want this one to have the same fate.
keep it gnarly

captain qwerty

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 19:23:59 »

Nope, but someone else is going to have to captain earthrace (new ship for the shepards)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 19:27:15 »

Read the red edits & the last post in that topic, if you don't want this one to have the same fate.

Thanks, WM. I don't think this is quite the same. That bloke was a little emotive in his opinions. Bless. Criticising the bridge crew of the vessel isn't the same as calling them a bunch of asterisks.

Criticising based on objective reasoning is, I'm sure you will agree, not a problem Emotive swearing is. And Mad Fred will get Mad(der)

captain qwerty

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 19:28:41 »

Yep, I save my swearing for facebook ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 19:29:39 »

Good. Has the idiot captain left as well?

Paul is not an idiot, Peter is...

When are going to start calling the Japanese captains idiots, because they are.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 19:32:05 »

I find that refraining from swearing and using an eloquent put down is far, far more effective.

Swearing just demonstrates a poor grasp of the English language (or whichever happens to be your main tongue)

Paul is not an idiot, Peter is...
When are going to start calling the Japanese captains idiots, because they are.
Let me try and put it in an objective way. Forget the whales; if this was a commercial passenger carrying ship and you were going round, say Cape Horn, in winter. Would you feel happy with these two members of crew in charge of your ship.

Remember motive and ability are NOT the same thing...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 19:34:40 »

Would you feel happy with these two members of crew in charge of your ship.

Yes, they have had their ship in very harsh conditions before, and are perfectly capable of navigation & other actives aboard. Although I don't think they have enough experience to pilot a passenger vessel of a larger size.

Nathan|C

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 19:37:14 »

Yes, they have had their ship in very harsh conditions before, and are perfectly capable of navigation & other actives aboard.

How do you know this for sure?  :P

She's already been in 10 or so collisions and it always seems that Sea Shepherd are blaming the Japanese...

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 19:56:09 »

They purposely ram the other ships to try to disable them.

Nathan|C

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 20:20:21 »

Who are? The Japanese or Sea Shepherd?

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 21:04:55 »

Hi all,
Just to let you know, I am still keeping an eye on this topic.  :police: :)
I know that feelings run high about some things, but, if something makes you angry it is best, (and, as Stuart says, more effective), to step back and come up with a reasoned arguement.

Regards, Dave M
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Chris-S1

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2009, 17:59:45 »

ok dave :)

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2009, 19:30:37 »

Who are? The Japanese or Sea Shepherd?

They are both as bad, the Japanese once rammed the Greenpeace ship and had the nerve to blame Greenpeace for it, Greenpeace are too pathetic to do anything to stop whalers, let alone ramming them. So the Japanese are hypocrites a lot of the time.

Besides, the last major ramming Sea Shepherd performed was really the Japanese's fault, if you're driving along a road, and you throw a grenade into someone's car driving next to you, of course there's a chance that the person next to you will hit you. It's the same with Sea Shepherd, the Japanese were using all sorts of technology to make Sea Shepherd's crew throw up, give them headaches and temporarily blind them with flash bombs, of course there's a chance the Steve Irwin will try to pull out the way but end up going the wrong way. Of course, I may be wrong, as soon as this dilemma is seen on Whale Wars I'll be able to judge the actions properly and see who was in the wrong.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2009, 19:47:08 »

It's disturbing that Sea Shepherd is interfering with the Japanese research on whales..
It is important that research is done untill before there are no more whales..

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2009, 19:53:03 »

The research of eating them... I assume that was sarcastic, but the mothership for the japanese packages whale meat on board.

BTW, the show does not document every single minute of their 5-6 months at sea...

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2009, 20:20:36 »

Here's "research" in progress, with the Steve Irwin in the background..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 20:23:06 by saltydog »

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2009, 20:31:29 »

The stupid thing is the Japanese research is kept to themselves, which still makes it illegal. The only breakthroughs they've found and released are 2 tiny facts about the way the whales eat, and that's after killing over a 1000 whales in the last few years.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2009, 20:36:15 »

They usually kill about 750 whales a year, but now have only been killing about 450.

There "breakthroughs" are just what they find when the butcher the poor animal.

Jammy

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2009, 20:41:08 »

Exactly, killing all those whales are really not worth these tiny facts are they? It's like if your dog was choking, would you chop its head off to find out what it was choking on because death by the Japanese whalers standards doesn't mean anything.

LukeL

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2009, 23:05:40 »

Did anyone see the most recent episode of South Park, it was hillarious!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

the whole episode was about the "sea shepard" crew, and japanese whaling

Warning: viewer discretion is advised!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251888

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 23:08:57 »

Agent A. If I may, and with respect to Dave M comments especially, point out one thing.

There is a confusion between their MOTIVES and ABILITIES. I think it very contraversial to argue about the merits of whale hunting. For my part, I agree with you totally. It is a barbaric practice that nearly all nations have boycotted.

However, if you are asking about the conduct of the sea shepherd crew, than that is a totally seperate issue. I personally don't think they are doing the anti-whale hunting cause any good at all. I don't really have a lot of time for Greenpeace either (too political) but at least they act in a more professional manner.

However, that this discussion has reached 3 (soon 4?) pages means that the shepherd crew has done something useful... they have got people TALKING about it- which is a laudable achievement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines