Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 20:29:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can someone do me a favor?  (Read 3217 times)

firestar12

Can someone do me a favor?
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:52:34 »

Can someone do me a favor? Make a google earth tracing of The titanic route? I dont care about the southampton part. That is optional. i want to see Atlantic ocean & New york Docking and entrance

llamalord

• Forum member
Re: Can someone do me a favor?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:56:37 »

Google earth would add no real advantage from this distance, so if you took exactly 12 seconds... :-\

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

firestar12

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 22:10:21 »

Google earth would add no real advantage from this distance, so if you took exactly 12 seconds... :-\

No, I don't care about that part. IM talking about the entrance and what she would have done when she got to new york harbour. The ocean parts couldnt be more boring.

mvsmith

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 23:39:52 »

There is a long topic somewhere on this forum about the location of the Hudson River pier that she would have used. It no longer exists.

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,8302.msg92889.html#msg92889

firestar12

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 00:42:49 »

There is a long topic somewhere on this forum about the location of the Hudson River pier that she would have used. It no longer exists.

No, you both have it wrong. I Want to know where she entered and Where she docked...well, i know where she docked but i want the WHOLE New York City route.

mvsmith

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:55 »

She didn’t enter, she didn’t dock. She hit an iceberg and sank before she got there.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 06:03:45 »

Yeah how would anyone know if she never got there and did it?

mvsmith

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 06:14:38 »

There is only one way to enter NY harbor: Through the Verrazano Narrows.
(Unless you go through Long Island Sound, or via the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Erie Canal, and the Hudson.)

Ships approach from the east through one of four channels north of Sandy Hook. Titanic would probably have taken Ambrose channel, which opened in 1908, but that would have been the pilot’s decision based on tides, weather, and traffic. Her exact track up the North River would also have been up to the pilot.

Likewise, her course from where she hypothetically missed the berg would have been determined by traffic and any perceived hazards.
So, your question does not have a definite answer.

Considering the way her officers handled the ice warnings—only bothering to plot one of them—I doubt they thought that far ahead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:34:34 by mvsmith »

CaptainMike1

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:54:40 »

No, you both have it wrong. I Want to know where she entered and Where she docked...well, i know where she docked but i want the WHOLE New York City route.

You are the one who's got it wrong, she didn't enter and dock, she hit an iceberg and sank!!

Watch the movie!!

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:39:27 »

You are the one who's got it wrong, she didn't enter and dock, she hit an iceberg and sank!!

Watch the movie!!

read the earlier posts!! we are on about where it would of docked at NY!!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:42:32 »

Hiya tractorman,

As you so rightly put, previous posts are handy things to read. Check this one for some more info on that;

Regards,
Fred

firestar12

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 15:06:21 »

There is only one way to enter NY harbor: Through the Verrazano Narrows.
(Unless you go through Long Island Sound, or via the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Erie Canal, and the Hudson.)

Ships approach from the east through one of four channels north of Sandy Hook. Titanic would probably have taken Ambrose channel, which opened in 1908, but that would have been the pilot’s decision based on tides, weather, and traffic. Her exact track up the North River would also have been up to the pilot.

Likewise, her course from where she hypothetically missed the berg would have been determined by traffic and any perceived hazards.
So, your question does not have a definite answer.

Considering the way her officers handled the ice warnings—only bothering to plot one of them—I doubt they thought that far ahead.

MvSmith, there are a bunch of lines on yours. So idk What one is Titanic's route. :'(

mvsmith

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 16:43:24 »

The thin black line is an approximation of the route she might have taken to the White Star berth near 23rd Street on the North (Hudson) River. But, as mentioned a few times in this topic, no one knows. She never got there.

You never said why you are asking. If you are thinking of creating an accurate mission, forget it. There is no outer bay environment, and her intended berth no longer exists.

All missions, so far, use pier 17 on the East River because there are no suitable places to berth her on the Westside. It is also more interesting to take her up Buttermilk Channel.

There are over a dozen books on Titanic in my library. With one exception, every one has at least one factual error. However, not one has her arriving in New York.

For reference, in the New York environment, the ventilation towers for the Holland Tunnel are at Spring Street, which would correspond roughly to 0 Street (the numbers don’t go below 8th Street).
23rd Street is where the West Side Hwy (rt. 9A) jogs back to the left. 19th Street is the second pier south.
That area has been completely rebuilt since 1912. None of the wooden piers on wood pilings remain.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 18:14:47 by mvsmith »

firestar12

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 22:21:37 »

The thin black line is an approximation of the route she might have taken to the White Star berth near 23rd Street on the North (Hudson) River. But, as mentioned a few times in this topic, no one knows. She never got there.

You never said why you are asking. If you are thinking of creating an accurate mission, forget it. There is no outer bay environment, and her intended berth no longer exists.

All missions, so far, use pier 17 on the East River because there are no suitable places to berth her on the Westside. It is also more interesting to take her up Buttermilk Channel.

There are over a dozen books on Titanic in my library. With one exception, every one has at least one factual error. However, not one has her arriving in New York.

For reference, in the New York environment, the ventilation towers for the Holland Tunnel are at Spring Street, which would correspond roughly to 0 Street (the numbers don’t go below 8th Street).
23rd Street is where the West Side Hwy (rt. 9A) jogs back to the left. 19th Street is the second pier south.
That area has been completely rebuilt since 1912. None of the wooden piers on wood pilings remain.

I KNOW SHE NEVER GOT THERE. I HAVE A BRAIN. (Sorry for Yelling)

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 22:29:00 »

I KNOW SHE NEVER GOT THERE. I HAVE A BRAIN. (Sorry for Yelling)

so do we! if you read you would see that we are on about where the titanic would of docked if she got the new york. we all know she hit an ice burg and sunk

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 23:31:45 »

I think an ice burg is a city somewhere in northern Scandinavia. What Titanic hit was an iceberg. And, there is no need to shout—unless of course you believe that no one will pay you any mind if you do not.
In his posts, firestar said he knew where she docked. The point that you cannot seem to grasp is that the exact route she would have followed is not known in detail because she never traveled it.
I have given you, in some detail, the probable route she would have taken in approaching New York harbor and her berth. That is something you could have done for yourselves if you had bothered to get a map and a pencil—or in your case, perhaps a crayon.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 23:33:30 by mvsmith »

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 23:41:44 »

In this post, firestar’s wording indicates that he is talking about where she actually entered and docked. That indicates a belief that she got there.

firestar12

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 00:23:57 »

In this post, firestar’s wording indicates that he is talking about where she actually entered and docked. That indicates a belief that she got there.
lol. Sorry. I was in a hurry.

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:19 »

its quite alright

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

mvsmith

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 23:05:12 »

Hi Firestar,
If you want further information on the Westside piers, I think Captain Tony might be the one to ask.
I gather from his posts that he is near to, or in sight of, pier 95—in the Cruise Ship Terminal that is just above the limit of the New York environment. He is probably familiar with the Chelsea Piers area down around 23rd Street where the old White Star berth was.
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines