Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 03:08:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SS08 Pride of Rotterdam inacruate paintjob or just unrealistic?  (Read 4694 times)

Third Mate

• Forum member

I stumbled across a video of the P&O liner "Pride Of Rotterdam" and it looks like it has a better paint job and better looking that the SS08 one, plus it has the acual paint job to, what's everyone up to?Even the smoke is able to get thick and black... or is that a different type of P&O ship?

See here http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta3_xYbhfV4&NR=1
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:36:50 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Re: SS08 Pride of Rotterdam inacruate paintjob or just unrealistic?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:51:12 »

Its not easy to get digital to match with the real thing, you have to remember that :)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 10:15:26 »

Even the smoke is able to get thick and black... or is that a different type of P&O ship?

Hey, all vessels should be environment friendly! To be honest, I've asked the responsible developer to give us a "steamer greating" when starting the engines or changing the rpm's more than slightly, but he won't do me the favour. And as I talked to the Bugsier whilst preparing the "Bugsier 2" for the game, they have told me not to show all the dark fume when going full ahead - with a smile  ::) and a look straight to the Greenpeace-Office, which was close by... ;D  ;D

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:20:10 »

Hey, all vessels should be environment friendly! To be honest, I've asked the responsible developer to give us a "steamer greating" when starting the engines or changing the rpm's more than slightly, but he won't do me the favour. And as I talked to the Bugsier whilst preparing the "Bugsier 2" for the game, they have told me not to show all the dark fume when going full ahead - with a smile  ::) and a look straight to the Greenpeace-Office, which was close by... ;D  ;D

Regards

ahhh.... if i hear one more thing about environmentally friendly my head is gonna explode ;D, i understand that green peace is trying to make a difference in real life but here its not as exciting to play the game without all the "nice" smoke.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 16:15:43 »

Now I wanna hear the explosion... :D

Maybe the shipsim vessels are equiped with the latest seawater scrubbing fascilities or they just burn pure diesel (MDO) instead of the cheaper HFO or I have to ask the developer again to improve the fumes... ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

NathanC

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 19:25:19 »

The only inacurate paint on the VSTEP PoR is under the waterline, it should be red. That isn't really important, and it is like that in the name of being graphics card friendly.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:59 »

Now I wanna hear the explosion... :D

Maybe the shipsim vessels are equiped with the latest seawater scrubbing fascilities or they just burn pure diesel (MDO) instead of the cheaper HFO or I have to ask the developer again to improve the fumes... ;)

thanks, this would be a tough one but if they give the green on this ill be soo happy, to see rich and beautiful smoke being produced from such magnificent floating machines. Ship simulator will be MAGNIFICENT!

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 18:43:38 »

Totally agree!  ;D
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 20:36:47 »

Funnily enough, when I worked on some of the first diesel trains for Microsoft Train Simulator, we had similar problems with almost no visible smoke.

I developed a workaround, which was to place an invisible steam engine inside the diesel. I then had to adjust the engine physics to get it to behave the way I wanted. So, when the diesel engine was under load, the steam engine would produce the smoke. It worked wonderfully.

NathanC

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:28:02 »

Hey, i just clicked the link in the 1st post of this topic, that's my video  ;D

By the way, the picture with the smoke was taken at startup, the thick smoke was there for 5 seconds then it faded and you couldn't see much smoke at all  ;)

So, the smoke is realistic in SS2008.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:30:56 by NathanC »

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 07:45:17 »

Hey, i just clicked the link in the 1st post of this topic, that's my video  ;D

By the way, the picture with the smoke was taken at startup, the thick smoke was there for 5 seconds then it faded and you couldn't see much smoke at all  ;)

So, the smoke is realistic in SS2008.

Hmm, something still does not a add up here, i took a screen shot of the smoke of P&O from the video, now compare that with SS08 P&O and you will see what i mean and also when i put her at full RPM i see no smoke what so ever.And i think they need new textures for the P&O ferry for the smoke chimneys, if you notice in the first screen shot it has a metallic color with black marks fading off the top of each chimney down
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:57:59 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

NathanC

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:52:49 »

Like i said in my above post, that picture you see in the video was taken when the ship was starting up, the black smoke was there for 5 seconds while the engines started, then the smoke dissapeared and it was faint, like in the game.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 14:30:21 »

You are right, NathanC - but we are missing the dark fume above the funnel when starting the engine, when going full ahead or full astern from slower speeds or whilst any dramatic change of the engines revolution! Under normal conditions it is of course correct as it is.

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

NathanC

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 14:37:11 »

I saw no smoke while she was movine either, only a very faint grey, like in game  :-\

If anything, there seems to be too much smoke when going full ahead in the game.

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 23:23:51 »

this may be getting a little off topic but since we are still here i just wanted to point out an error or bug on the P&O, when looking at the windows you can see them 1cm away from the place where they should be, just in case there is a patch so that could be added in

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
Acual smoke fumes coming from each ship in SS08
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:22 »

Sorry off topic here, i deciced to research each of the ships in SS08 and find 1 video and 1 pic about them to show evrybody what kind of smoke they acualy produce in real life and what they should be producing in SS08.

1: Verramas, fictional name for a container ship

http://www.splashvision.com/Video/10240_Container-ship-MSC-LAURA-.html

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 11:11:44 »

It is very hard to find the correct impression of fume. It depends on so much things, like engine type, opertional mode (harbour with MDO, sea with HFO), fuel quality, actual engine condition and the same for the fume and fuel cleaning devices, daily routine habits of master and chief... - so far a never ending story!  ;)
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Third Mate

• Forum member
Re: Acual smoke fumes coming from each ship in SS08
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 11:18:41 »

2: Agile Solution - or Deo volente?

Seems to have a clean fuel source ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDTLTf8SMc&NR=1

no real life pic available at the moment

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
Re: Acual smoke fumes coming from each ship in SS08
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:48 »

3:Arrie Visser

well, technically this is fine

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 11:37:22 »

It is very hard to find the correct impression of fume. It depends on so much things, like engine type, opertional mode (harbour with MDO, sea with HFO), fuel quality, actual engine condition and the same for the fume and fuel cleaning devices, daily routine habits of master and chief... - so far a never ending story!  ;)

yeah you are right, im wasting my time looking throughout all the ships, thats one thing it needs to be worked on  "correct impression of fume, depends on so much things, like engine type, opertional mode (harbour with MDO, sea with HFO), fuel quality, actual engine condition and the same for the fume and fuel cleaning devices, daily routine habits of master and chief..." that exactly what it needs to be looks at thats what every ship needs, but i have a bad feeling that it may not be done because in Not sure if VSTEP and other member will agree with the idea.

Since we are at this subject i have another thing that VSTEP needs to change at all its ships, the looks.So what i mean by the looks is that all the ships look brand new and in real life they have like algae on the water line, oil and grease stains on some parts of the hull and even some rust marks.Just look at an ordinary ship in real life like a harbor tug for instance and you see some of the paint chipped of, rust marks fading down from some of the parts of the ship, the chimney holes have black smoke stains fading down from the top and also water coming out of the hole every time the ship is turned on( and that one is a feature).Thats what inspires me to drive ships in SS08 :D by looking at "those" things, but im afraid that probably wont happen for the ships in SS08 :(.

Every time i choose a ship in SS08 is like brand new and i like it to be well "used", it gets kind of not so exciting after some time to be honest.And if we get the smoke fumes flowing to I WILL BE EXTREMELY SATISFIED WITH VSTEP :).

Sincerely,

Third Mate, long time user of Ship Simulator 2008.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:06:15 by Third Mate »

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 11:47:01 »

You're right again! Except the models of GOAX, all vessels are brand new. My first thoughts are going to the model trains like Märklin, Fleischmann or so. You can buy just brand new looking, perfekt painted engines and coaches without any damage at all. The enthusiastic model train freaks do a repaint to become the hardware look "older". Maybe VSTEP could add a few typical sights of intensive use to the ships, but I fear, that's not on their agenda until now.

Oh - and of course, the cooling water outlet would be great esp. on every smaller ship!

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Straubinger82

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10:23 »

Very important point was brought up here.
I totally agree with Third Mate.
Maybe I understand the view of the the Shipowners like P&O, not wanting their stuff shown dirty.
But it would add so much more atmosphere with such details implemented.
If this would be realized, then I would wish about 3 different styles...

- brandnew
- seen some harbours
- well used

Oh man.. would that be great.. :o

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 15:09:39 by Straubinger82 »
My System:
Corsair HX520W, AsRock 4CoreDualVsta, Pentium Q6600, Radeon Sapphire x1950pro AGP/512er, OCZ 2GB DDR2 667er im DC, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro, Teufel Concept-G THX 7.1, HannsG HW223D

My Shipsim:
SS08+NH in Version 1.4.2, Graphics set up to the limit in 1680*1050

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 17:20:25 »

And that's how it should be, when the chief turns the engine!
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Third Mate

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:06 »

And that's how it should be, when the chief turns the engine!

OH baby, im in heaven ;D! oh sorry about that its good to finaly see proper things for once.Now that's ship simulating feel.

THE 888 MARK
THE 999 MARK
THE 1111 MARK

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 04:22:56 »

I've always woundered if container ship engines are as hard to start as my boat engine. :D
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines