Hello Guest September 29, 2024, 10:30:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instal new Radio sounds  (Read 2075 times)

Lapis

• Forum member
Instal new Radio sounds
« on: July 29, 2008, 18:05:36 »

Running ShipSim2008 on partition at D:\program files\ShipSim 2008 but totally unable to understand where to put the new radio files when it asks TWICE in Radio New sounds update - first to instal sounds it asks for a folder address  - then when activating the sounds it asks again for a folder.  Help

TerryRussell

Re: Instal new Radio sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 22:20:38 »

Hi Lapis.

It's a two stage operation.

• The first installation creates the 8 different banks of sounds you can select from
  • the second installation selects which of the 8 sets of sounds youwant to install

Make sure that Ship Simulator is not currently running.

When you install the sounds the first time, you should accept the locations suggested by the program. That creates the "bank" of sounds.

Because of the way that Ship Simulator works, you have to tell it which set of sounds you want (e.g. the "MAYDAY" set of whatever). Again, just accept the suggested location.

If later on you want a different set of sounds (e.g. the "PILOT" set), just run the selector program again, and select the new sounds. Accept the locations it offers.

Then, when you start Ship Simulator, you will have the new set of sounds installed.

They are worth doing!

Lapis

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:18:07 »

Hi Lapis.

It's a two stage operation.

• The first installation creates the 8 different banks of sounds you can select from
  • the second installation selects which of the 8 sets of sounds youwant to install

Make sure that Ship Simulator is not currently running.

When you install the sounds the first time, you should accept the locations suggested by the program. That creates the "bank" of sounds.

Because of the way that Ship Simulator works, you have to tell it which set of sounds you want (e.g. the "MAYDAY" set of whatever). Again, just accept the suggested location.

If later on you want a different set of sounds (e.g. the "PILOT" set), just run the selector program again, and select the new sounds. Accept the locations it offers.

Then, when you start Ship Simulator, you will have the new set of sounds installed.

They are worth doing!

REPLYTerry, I tied this several times -problem remains in second stage  - Having put new sounds into c:\program files\vstep\shipsim2008 when you then insert new destination folder for running in second stage, I put it into D:\program files \ ShipSim2008\Data  what then happens is that message says  ERROR  Unable to open SOURCE file for Solent_ox\chatter etc BECAUSE it atoumatically puts    D:\etc into name of source file. 

Lapis

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 16:02:46 »

Well, that explains it then. Both need to be installed into the ShipSimulator program files location.

Make sure that both programs are installed onto the drive and into the same folders where Ship Simulator is installed. (accept the defaults that are offered).

Lapis

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 17:15:23 »

Terry

I tried for 1.5 hours a combination of default settings for folders in First and Second stage Radio instal.  On two occassions I actually got it to say it had installed - but opening ShipSim failed at QuestViewer.exe with grey screen and "report error" box!  I even tried manually moving the 26 chatter files into same folder as default set at  D:\Program Files\ShipSim 2008\Data\Radio\   - also failed QuestViewer.

Have now uninstalled ShipSim2008 from d: partition and reloaded with Version 1.4.2 Build 1038 into C:\program Files\Vstep\ShipSim2008  -  loaded new horns and loaded New Radio.    IT WORKS

Hence I remain of the opinion that you have a logic error in programming in the Radio Update *.exe.
Suggest you look at the calls for both destination and source files, then investigate your copy format.  I think you have confused a Data and Radio as default locations.

Hope this is of help,  Peter  (ie Lapis)     

TerryRussell

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 19:37:38 »

Hi Peter.

So far you're the only person to have reported any problem. As there have been many thousands of others who have downloaded OK, I suspect that the problem is not with the installer. The installer looks for the Ship Simulator installation folder in the appropriate registry key and works from that. It's an extremely simple process.

The only way it can be incorrect is if you have manually moved the folders afterwards, or if Ship Simulator itself incorrectly writes the registry key (which I think is probably not possible).

So, I'm at a loss to understand the cause of the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines