Hello Guest September 08, 2024, 02:20:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what is this sim like compared to flightsim ?  (Read 8163 times)

alexzar14

• Forum member
what is this sim like compared to flightsim ?
« on: July 21, 2008, 18:21:23 »

I love flightsim specifically for its open architecture and detailed simulation of aircraft cockpit systems, procedures and navigation (not default stuff ofcourse, these are separate software packs with each aircraft costing up to $60-70).

So to what extent (compared to flightsim addons) has Titanic been developed?
physics and systems-wise... piloting instruments, telegraphs, navigation tools, docking procedures, other procedures....
machine room systems (at least some major stuff... steam generation, steam-related gauges/instrumentation, some procedures)...

is any of this there? or is there only a speed gauge and a direction vector to follow?

I became interested in Ocean Liners (1890s - 1950s... Carmania, Caronia, Lusitania, Mauritania, Imperator/Berengaria, Majestic, Ile De France, Brinanic, Georgic, QM1, QE1, Mauritania2, Rex, Normandie, Europa, United States, France, Adria Doria.................)
Can these ships simulations be developed and added to the sim?
heck I'd pay $100 for each of this ships simulated to flightsim standards...

Shipaddict

• Forum member
Re: what is this sim like compared to flightsim ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 18:59:59 »

Please Please PLEASE don't compare SS to FS :P ;)

It has been done before, and i remember and argument got up :P

But anyway,

Titanic has some telegraphs. Just forward dead slow etc

The rudder guages moves. Some smoke comes from the funnel...

Otherwise, it isn't that technical ;)

Hope this helps,
SA

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 20:00:55 »

FS is planes, SS is ships.

FS is made by one of the biggest companys on earth.

SS is made by one of the smallest companys on earth.

FS is rich.

SS is doing ok.

FS has a huge development Team.

SS does not.

FS allows 3rd part software.

SS does not.

FS has 300+ controls.

SS has 30 controls.

alexzar14

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 20:41:22 »

Please Please PLEASE don't compare SS to FS :P ;)

Titanic has some telegraphs. Just forward dead slow etc

The rudder guages moves. Some smoke comes from the funnel...

Hope this helps,
SA

yes! that answered my questions! :)

alexzar14

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 20:47:45 »

FS allows 3rd part software.

SS does not.

that's the most important difference, thanks for bringing it up!
so it is not an open-architecture program and add-ons can be developed only by ShipSim team.

Well, I hope it evelves into an open-arch thing, I'll give it some time... (2-4 years?), hopefully then people will start building add-ons for it.

...there are so many ocean liner buffs out there, I guess they would be VERY, VERY happy if they could fly some grand old ones in this sim...

only problem, as time goes on, it becomes more difficult to obtain info, another 20 years and it may be impossible...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 20:50:41 by alexzar14 »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 20:54:04 »

But even when SS dont is so big Company. they doing it very great. As Microsoft(the maker of FlightSim)
Is so busy with their Xbox360. im sure the next game wouldnt be so good :D

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 23:32:11 »

...there are so many ocean liner buffs out there, I guess they would be VERY, VERY happy if they could fly some grand old ones in this sim...

Indeed, you can find posts about flying Titanic. It is not considered a good thing.
Marty

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:54:28 »

the reson ship sim has no 3rd party addons is vs look at them ayone can make a ship and most of then or rubbish and have no detail

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 19:25:30 »

Indeed, you can find posts about flying Titanic. It is not considered a good thing.
Marty

yes. And FSX has a problem too. When you taking off on Multiplayer. It just going up. then front of the plane and the back of the plane. that might be not a good thing.
but im agreed. Vstep Has Bugs too ;D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 19:26:47 »

the reson ship sim has no 3rd party addons is vs look at them ayone can make a ship and most of then or rubbish and have no detail

The reason Ship Sim has no support for third-party add-ons, is nothing to do with VS.  Check the relevant forum topic, and this will all become clear ;)

http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1071.0.html

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 19:47:29 »

"all-singing all-dancing ship editor" :D :D

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 19:51:42 »

"all-singing all-dancing ship editor" :D :D

LOL :D :D

Personally, I prefer it this way, becuase at least we get great models to use.  It would probably destroy our favourite game if it was opened-up..........besides that, I can't even model a traffic cone, so it'd be no good to me :P ;D

Carl.
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

ireland08

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:04:24 »

I love flightsim specifically for its open architecture and detailed simulation of aircraft cockpit systems, procedures and navigation (not default stuff ofcourse, these are separate software packs with each aircraft costing up to $60-70).

So to what extent (compared to flightsim addons) has Titanic been developed?
physics and systems-wise... piloting instruments, telegraphs, navigation tools, docking procedures, other procedures....
machine room systems (at least some major stuff... steam generation, steam-related gauges/instrumentation, some procedures)...

is any of this there? or is there only a speed gauge and a direction vector to follow?

I became interested in Ocean Liners (1890s - 1950s... Carmania, Caronia, Lusitania, Mauritania, Imperator/Berengaria, Majestic, Ile De France, Brinanic, Georgic, QM1, QE1, Mauritania2, Rex, Normandie, Europa, United States, France, Adria Doria.................)
Can these ships simulations be developed and added to the sim?
heck I'd pay $100 for each of this ships simulated to flightsim standards...

total rubbish. a complete waste of my €60. in missions it doesent show ur end waypoint on the chart,
ocean star is too hard to drive and controlling the pods with the mouse is nearly impossible.

Edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:50:12 by [RWP]DJM »

maritiem

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:05 »

total rubbish. a complete waste of my €60.

yes i wish i've never bought flightsim, cause you need to follow a very long tutorial. and you realy need to buy a joystick cause if you don't have any joystick it's almost impossible to let you fly.

maritiem

"Quote" edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:50:57 by [RWP]DJM »

People can almost do anything, The only thing they can't is forgive each other.

NathanC

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:39:32 »

ocean star is too hard to drive and controlling the pods with the mouse is nearly impossible.

Not if you understand how to control it, it's not diffcult to learn  ;)

mvsmith

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 13:40:25 »

Not if you understand how to control it, it's not diffcult to learn  ;)

Unfortunately Nathan, you overestimate the capacities of some “gamers”.
As Ireland08 points out, not everyone has the ability to cope with even the simplified control system of OS, or to navigate without the aid of big green circles painted on the water.
Ship Simulator can be a daunting challenge to many who are accustomed only to the arcade-style games, or to FSX, where little in the way of real flying ability is required.
Regards,
Marty

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 16:46:43 »

nobody on this forum wants to compare shipsim to flight sim because flightsim is so infinatley better. just take a look at both games running on high graphics and it clearly shows how much more the developers have worked on it. I don't think we should even compare these games because as it stands shipsim 08 can't really be classed as a 'simulator' as such, it looks more like an arcade game in terms of how many navigational tools and systems there are in the bridge, this is not the case in flight sim x. this has been mentioned before i think. All i can say is that I have gotten bored of shipsim a bit already, due to the lack of realism in the bridges and other things. Just gets really boring after a while.

just my opinion

Traddles

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 17:05:02 »

Ireland08 and Bowie,
Obviously neither of you have ever been on the bridge of a real ship. I think you should perhaps be more careful of your criticisms of Ship Simulator. On a real ships bridge there are very few controls needed to handle the vessel. 1. Steering wheel. 2. Engine room telegraph (Or on modern ships, direct engine controller.) 3. A Master who knows his job. Anything else in general is pure eyecandy and gets used really quite infrequently. What need for all this other stuff? 
By the way, I note that neither of you have completed any missions to get rankings. Is the simplicity too difficult for you?

Angus.
P.S. I should have added:-4. A brain!!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 18:46:24 by Traddles »
Retired, UK foreign going Masters Ticket.

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 17:29:33 »

I had an amusing exchange via PM with a Flight Simmer: In a mission requiring approaching a distant waypoint on a specific heading, he complained that he had to deviate from that course to avoid opposing AI traffic. How was he supposed to get back on the correct course?
When I told him to do it the same way he would intercept and fly an inbound VOR radial, his reply can be summarized as “Huh?”

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 20:57:42 »

total rubbish. a complete waste of my €60. in missions it doesent show ur end waypoint on the chart,

you must be jokeing the ocen star is so simple even a child can drive it

"Quote" edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:51:42 by [RWP]DJM »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 21:02:54 »

yes i wish i've never bought flightsim, cause you need to follow a very long tutorial. and you realy need to buy a joystick cause if you don't have any joystick it's almost impossible to let you fly.

maritiem
yes. and its expensive. Im glad i did got it on the christmas :D
And The  Hardisk Space takes a lot of space ::)
But sometime its very fun.
i love playing it beacause of Crashing

mvsmith

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 21:45:09 »

The first thing I noticed in FSX was that Microsoft had dropped the 182 in favor of the 172. I suppose they felt the majority of their customers could not deal with power management via prop pitch and manifold pressure.

It’s true that FS has many more instruments that are actually useful or necessary for flying and navigation, but that does not mean—as Angus points out—that the same amount of instrumentation is necessary, or even useful, to drive a ship.

Professional pilots may find MSFS fun or useful, but they seldom complain if they don’t have a switch to turn on the “Fasten Seatbelts” signs.

bowie

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 22:04:26 »

Traddles, I meant maybe I am too bored with the sim to want to play any missions. If I find the gameplay not as interesting as it probably will be in a few years time say, it means I don't want to do many missions. Oh and so you are saying that huge ships like ocean star in real life only have a rudder and a few radar screens to use?

Sorry, I didnt realise that on real bridges such as the ones you have been on there are static pictures of other screens and buttons that don't actually work, you just look at them, I'll remember that's how it is.
It would make it better if they did work, but like I said, maybe in a few years time.

regards

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 22:12:42 »

he didn't say that how it is, but thats all you need, you don't need gauges and switches to sail a ship. You only need on most of the ships, the same as we got in the sim.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 13:10:49 »

but ti would be nice if some of them worked lke fuel or engine oil temp and engine guages that worked and are not just for show
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines