Hello Guest April 27, 2024, 18:49:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Ships?  (Read 5136 times)

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
Making Ships?
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:55:37 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope this topic is in the right place, i was a bit unsure about where to put it since its a question about software for making ships. Please move it if its in the wrong place :)

Anyway, i am considering getting into serious digital ship making, like what Goax and others do, i know i have to start small and work my way up, and i'd gladly do that, but the likes of Goax's digital ships have inspired me to start making my own. Has anyone got any advice for me? and what software should i use to get the best results, like Goax?

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Best

• Forum member
Re: Making Ships?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:16:08 »

You can use Gmax. But its not free.  but you can download a trial version to.

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:20:24 by captain best »

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:40:43 »

Isn't Gmax free? It was for me, but I Think 3ds Max costs 3995$, and it is a professional program.
Remember it takes a long time to learn how to use it. Before you start any project you must learn all the tools. Look for tutorials too.
go to http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax and download it there.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:41:40 »

Yes, Gmax is free, but compares to Sketchup, very hard. SU is very simple though :P

I never got far with Gmax, but I never had an "ambition" you could say :P

SA

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:43:57 »

Hi Minime. So you dont need to pay anything. it wont cost any monthprice or Regirstration Price?
Its 100% free?

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:08 »

Yes 100% free ;D
Sketch up, is much easier to use,m but I suggest you start with Gmax, because it's much more professional then SU is. Gmax is the same as 3Ds Max, but with fewer options. It's a light edition of 3ds max
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:50:51 by Minime »

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:52 »

Yes 100% free ;D
thanks a lot. im gonna try download it ;D

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 08:51:21 »

no problem, remember it's hard to learn, JHB has made some tutorials on this forum just search for them

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:08:34 »

no problem, remember it's hard to learn, JHB has made some tutorials on this forum just search for them
wow yes this is what i call Hard

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:24:26 »

i wouln't surgest sketchup, making quality ships for SS 08 is a hell of a lot harder then those profi programs,
you can only export models with sketchup pro, and once done all the black edges are exported as models too.

when you have models with a round shape you will clearly see it isn't smoothed and you can't smooth them with some reason, take a look at this image:

(if the image is scaled down, just copy and paste it to your computer and open it with windows viewer and zoom in on the bridge)

if you look at the ships bridge you will see it's made with sketchup, i had lucky becasue the model contained only one object so deleting the edges was very easy, but if you consider a whole fully modelled ship you are spending a week on it with deleting all the edges.

i surgest you 3ds max, find some good tutorials and once you know its easy to make high detailed ships  ;)

also a good one is cinema 4d, that one is easyer to texture with  ;)
you can trust me, i have modelling experiene with zmodeler, google sketchup, cinema 4d, 3ds max 8, catia, and a little bit autocad 3d
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:27:43 by mr robville »

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 18:05:38 »

Thanks for all your help guys, i'll be looking at information about what you have suggested.

Thanks,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 20:26:07 »

I speak generally...You can make "quality ships" with Gmax and you can add textures to the model. Gmax even have unwrap UVW and UVW mapping. Mostly you will work with editable polygons and it's better to work with polygons than NURBS. Computers also understand editable poly quite better than NURBS.

What I'm saying is that Sketchup is not very powerful when it comes to texturing. You have to study game development in a deeper perspective if you are going to understand me. Lot's of add-ons made for VS have cheap or poor texturing where the author is actually jumping over a lot of stuff that cud be implemented. So It's not very surprising that VSTEP demand some quality if they are going to sell user-made add-ons at their Shipyard.

Start with Gmax. When you can make very good 3D models with Gmax then you can start looking at 3ds Max (if you don't have a bank account large enough to buy that software). ;)

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 00:36:47 »

I would reccomend sketchup, it is very simple to operate but i doubt anyone could get results like Goax and it cirtainly wouldn;t be suitable for SS but you can always settle for VS  :P And sketchup doesnt export the black lines, there is an option to not export them when exporting... :P At first a hull is very hard to make, but once you know the method, its as easy as pie :D

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:11:09 »

I believe it would be faster for me to make a hull in Gmax, than it is in sketch up, when you first learn it it's actually easy.

John Carter

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 13:01:03 »

i like windows paint, but you have to use a ruler & pencil as well

cj

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 18:48:18 »

i like windows paint, but you have to use a ruler & pencil as well

cj
yes. on paper. but the best thing is to model it to a Sketchup or gmax 3D file.

jackielegs

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 01:30:13 »

Hi,
   Mr robville the reason its not smoothed and got the edges you before you export you have to go to options and weld the edges together and remove edges

llamalord

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 22:43:06 »

All I can do is warn you against Sketch-Up because of the hard conversions between Sketch-Up and VS. :-\
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

www.llamalord

DaverDriver

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 17:14:05 »

With sketch-up how do you make the files into compatible files for ship sim and the do the config stuff
I'm an Insomniac..................*YAWNS*..I'm tired i'm going to bed :)

J3nsen

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 00:09:35 »

i wouln't surgest sketchup, making quality ships for SS 08 is a hell of a lot harder then those profi programs,
you can only export models with sketchup pro, and once done all the black edges are exported as models too.

when you have models with a round shape you will clearly see it isn't smoothed and you can't smooth them with some reason, take a look at this image:

(if the image is scaled down, just copy and paste it to your computer and open it with windows viewer and zoom in on the bridge)

if you look at the ships bridge you will see it's made with sketchup, i had lucky becasue the model contained only one object so deleting the edges was very easy, but if you consider a whole fully modelled ship you are spending a week on it with deleting all the edges.

i surgest you 3ds max, find some good tutorials and once you know its easy to make high detailed ships  ;)

also a good one is cinema 4d, that one is easyer to texture with  ;)
you can trust me, i have modelling experiene with zmodeler, google sketchup, cinema 4d, 3ds max 8, catia, and a little bit autocad 3d

Sketchup is easy and yes, alot more work. Dont know many hour i used on Santa Isadorà, but sketchup can give results.... :P

My dead project:

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 15:36:11 »

Sketchup is easy and yes, alot more work. Dont know many hour i used on Santa Isadorà, but sketchup can give results.... :P

My dead project:

Holy Mama. that was a nice ship ;)

I want someone do model it in Gmax and have it in ShipSim ;D

Nice Model.

Yes its true.

Do you use a lot of time of you Sketchup model. it will give good results ;)

Regards

Captain Best :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines