Hello Guest September 19, 2024, 17:07:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How many were satisfied with the debut of the shipyard?

Yes
- 18 (78.3%)
No
- 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Debut of the shipyard  (Read 5290 times)

wisemenkom

• Forum member
Debut of the shipyard
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:08:49 »

I was disappointed with the options featured in the debut of the shipyard. I was expecting one of the ships shown on the demo at vsteps web site. They gave us an ancient little toy tug and a ship the majority of us already have and no environment. I hate small boats. I am only interested in medium, large or ultra large ships. In my opinion there is no challenge navigating up river with a small boat. But I am happy that it is just an option to buy and they didn't put that thing in the game. I'd spend my last dollar to trade the furie for the Emma Maersk....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 06:14:45 by wisemenkom »
L. Davis

JHB

• Forum member
Re: Debut of the shipyard
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 07:58:06 »

strange question in the poll vs the answers... ???

It should be Are you satisfied with the debut of the shipyard?

Personally, yes and I will be more satisfied when they got more vessels avaiable. It's just in a early stage at the moment. :)

NathanC

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 08:02:12 »

be patient.......it takes time to develop new vessels

Don't be so harsh on the Furie too, so far you're the only one on this forum who has been so negative about a fantastic new feature  ::)

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:00 »

Hi wisemenkom.

Seemed an excellent debut to me.

What do you mean "small boats"? Did you mean "ships"?

Do you have any idea of how big they actually are? You would appear mouse-sized next to these vessels.  ;D

In any case, had Vstep launched the site with two immense vessels, some people would have said "I want smaller vessels".

There already some very large ones in the game - Vermaas and Latitude. Given that many of the harbours are shallow, large vessels are currently less useful, in my opinion.

mvsmith

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 08:06:52 »

The only reason to have big ships in the simulator is to give the tugs something to tow.

NathanC

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:07:43 »

The only reason to have big ships in the simulator is to give the tugs something to tow.

....and tugs are small, so you should appreciate them

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:04 »

I must admit, I enjoy the challenge of trying to dock Vermaas at Fawley and Latitude at Marseilles. I wouldn't mind a tanker about the same draft as Vermaas. But that in no way dminishes the Shipyard. I think that is an excellent idea and look forward to obtaining new vessels and environments that way.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:20 »

even the smallest speed boat ingame is very large conperd to a person

NathanC

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 11:58:20 »

The harbour tug looks tiny but is actually huge when compared with the Furie or P6!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 13:21:46 »

Everything gets small on a 21" screen...

You need one of these...

...and your boat in SS becomes a "little bit" bigger ;)

Projectors work also very well ;D

Captain Best

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 13:24:35 »

Everything gets small on a 21" screen...

You need one of these...

...and your boat in SS becomes a "little bit" bigger ;)

Projectors work also very well ;D
100" Toms Screen. Wow. Yes. and graphic will be better. lol ;D

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 15:12:27 »

strange question in the poll vs the answers... ???

It should be Are you satisfied with the debut of the shipyard?

Personally, yes and I will be more satisfied when they got more vessels avaiable. It's just in a early stage at the moment. :)

I wrote exactly what I meant. Take it how you want it.
L. Davis

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 15:15:27 »

Hi wisemenkom.

Seemed an excellent debut to me.

What do you mean "small boats"? Did you mean "ships"?

Do you have any idea of how big they actually are? You would appear mouse-sized next to these vessels.  ;D

In any case, had Vstep launched the site with two immense vessels, some people would have said "I want smaller vessels".

There already some very large ones in the game - Vermaas and Latitude. Given that many of the harbours are shallow, large vessels are currently less useful, in my opinion.

Small boats- Anything less that 100ft is a small boat in my opinion. I happen to be a REAL Merchant Seaman so I know what is a large ship .
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 15:19:17 by wisemenkom »
L. Davis

TerryRussell

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 15:23:09 »

Jolly good.

A lot of members of this forum are current or retired seafarers so you may have passed as ships in the night.

On which vessel do you serve? Which training college did you attend? It's quite possible I may know some of your trainers. We can swap stories about them!  ;)

PS, you'd still appear the size of a mouse, relatively, even next to vessels such as Pioneer.

PPS Looking at the voting, it does seem that your opinion is in the extreme minority...  ;)

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 15:32:06 »

I currently work as a mate for Moran Towing on one of there Ship docking tugs. But I am planning to attend Massachusetts Maritime Academy. My goal is to become a ships master. It's just my opinion but there is no challenge steering a small boat. I can dock it with ease even if we had current in the game. I love the skill it takes to navigate and dock the large ships successfully.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 15:34:06 by wisemenkom »
L. Davis

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 15:37:37 »

I am excited about the shipyard. I'm just saying the initial options were poor.
L. Davis

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 15:38:17 »

It's just my opinion but there is no challenge steering a small boat. I can dock it with ease even if we had current in the game. I love the skill it takes to navigate and dock the large ships successfully.

But maybe some of us still want smaller ships. The pioneer looks small but it is actually huge compared to the "normal boats you see in the general harbour". At the end of the day you have to be fair, because it seems that people are happy with most of the boats here. You may not like small boats, i might not like big boats/ships, but i don't protest that i don't like them, or that i don't want them.

IRI5HJ4CK.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 15:43:05 »

I am excited about the shipyard. I'm just saying the initial options were poor.

It is virtually brand new, what can you expect? don't forget V-STEP are still working on the new ship simulator (09) and plus they are working on the other ships like the Furie. It will soon pick up ;)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 15:45:37 »

yes this is only it's 3rd week open

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 15:46:03 »

One poll I seen the majority that voted voted for large and huge ships. I guess others just dont care either way or are scared to voice their opinion. I am not protesting the small boats, just seems that's the only thing they are developing now.
L. Davis

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 15:47:51 »

well i like both but i use big ships more and only use big ships in mp i have nuffink against small ships but they do get in the way alot

wisemenkom

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 15:50:57 »

I think guys that like the small boats are the ones that can't navigate and manoeuvre the large ships. I watch guys all the time during online play. Though I do take into consideration that there are many kids that play the game.
L. Davis

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 15:58:47 »

I think guys that like the small boats are the ones that can't navigate and manoeuvre the large ships. I watch guys all the time during online play. Though I do take into consideration that there are many kids that play the game.

I don't agree, if i like a boat, i like a boat, not because i want to look big because i can manouver it well, if you can manouver a boat well, thats a bonus. I think you like big ships for the wrong reasons, at the end of the day, v-step make big and small ships for everyone to play. And if you don't like small ships, you don't like small ships. But i think the way you are coming accross as regards to smaller vessels is not very nice.

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 16:21:25 »

A word of warning: I will lock this topic if it drifts any further into unpleasantness.  ???

There is no need to be condescending towards anyone who enjoys the pleasures of smaller vessels. They merely require a different set of skills to manouver appropriately.

I am only a certifed Ocean-Going Yachtmaster and licensed Ships Radio Operator (VHF and MF short and long distance), while other members of this forum are or have been masters of much larger vessels with many more qualifications.

But none of us would consider any of the others to be less-skilled in any way. Handling vessels on the high seas takes skill, no matter what the vessel's size.

Personally, I know that I would not have what it takes to single-handedly skipper a sailing boat around the world. And you don't get vessels much smaller than that!

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 16:23:11 »

Though I do take into consideration that there are many kids that play the game.

Really...where can I read that? Where can I find such statistics? :)

A word of warning: I will lock this topic if it drifts any further into unpleasantness.  Huh

Yes, do that. I have a strange feeling of boiling water here now...even from the first post written ;)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 16:25:01 by JHB »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines