Hello Guest September 20, 2024, 05:01:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Ship Simulators Specs?  (Read 4415 times)

johnnyboy51287

• Forum member
New Ship Simulators Specs?
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:01:03 »

Hello all! I've been a "lurker" on these forums for some time and just bought the 2008 version of the game before I have a computer to use it. (My current setup is pathetic).

However, I will be buying a brand new laptop within the next month. I know that what I will get will surpass the minimum requirements of the current game but I was curious as to what you guys think the next version of the simulator's (whatever year it might be) minimum requirements will be. Do you think it will be dramatically more graphics intensive?

I don't want to buy a brand new $2,500 computer then end up not being able to play the games I want when they are updated in a year (I know this is sometimes inevitable).

The specs on the laptop I'm looking at are:

WinXP (Bootcamp, Apple Product)
2.6Ghz Intel Core Duo
2 GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT 512MB

Also - does anyone have something similar to this setup and does it run smoothly?

THANKS so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated!

JW

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: New Ship Simulators Specs?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:04:30 »

with Vista I would get a bit more ram, at least 3GB.

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 16:53:43 »

Dear JW,
     Great computer your looking at, I'm looking into that exact one myself to do the same thing with. I've read online that the older MacBook Pro is capable of running Flight Simulator X with all settings cranked up on high. I think that the MacBook Pro is capable of running this game and future games. Mac's are great computers (This is a Black MacBook, and I can't play ShipSim on the Boot Camp half b/c of the graphics card, but I love this computer to death) and the MBP is a benchmark for all other laptops. I think you should be fine running Vista (I have a relative with Vista on an older MBP w/ 2 GB of memory and it runs perfectly).
                                                                                           Hope this helps,
                                                                                                            Jake ;)
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

This applies to Photography too!

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 00:26:57 »

Hi johnnyboy51287,
The specs. on the laptop you are looking to buy look good to me but............
Is there a reason that you have to buy a laptop when you could get much better specs. for half the price on a desktop?
(1) Are you mobile all the time?
(2) Do you have a small apartment and so you don't have room?
(3) Do you have to use the computer for work as well as play?

I have (2) and (3) of the above, I have a small apartment but my desktop computer only takes up about 1 square metre of floor space and I have a link to my office computer.
The advantage is that no matter what Vstep come up with, I can upgrade.

I hear rumours that Vstep are going with a different way of displaying the sea, (I don't want to start any Chinese whispers with that remark  :) , it is only what I think I read about 3 weeks ago on this forum), That could mean that you could play SS10 on a basic machine or it could mean that you will need a very good computer and graphics card to use SS10  :-\ , it is anyone's guess.

My advice would be that to be future proof, get the best computer that you can afford.

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:53:04 »

the new game is called ss09, not ss10

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

johnnyboy51287

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:43:31 »

Thanks so much for your quick replies!

@Goldens2 - Thanks so much for the information! That makes me feel better about buying the MBP in the future.

@Dave M - I'm #1 to the max. I need one computer that can be my school computer (College Student), be my personal computer, and can go with me when I'm abroad (I travel a lot) or even just when I go home for the weekend. I think it's so sad that we can't update laptops graphics cards but I know that's just something us Laptop owners will have to live with!

Thanks everyone else as well, you have been very helpful!

JW

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:49 »

the new game is called ss09, not ss10
They haven't released the name. And it will probably be ss10 just like ss07 was renamed to ss08

Ship Sim

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:04:32 »

They haven't released the name. And it will probably be ss10 just like ss07 was renamed to ss08
It will probably be ss09 the SS newsletter says
We plan to bring out Ship Simulator 2009 in the first quarter 2009.

TerryRussell

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 18:26:22 »

Hi johnnyboy51287.

So far as I can see, no-one has asked the key question, which is:

You're talking about running XP under Bootcamp. So far as I can recall, that means that it isn't truly Windows XP, but it is Mac software pretending to be native Windows. If that's the case there will be a big performance hit (as with any emulation) and  I wouldn't hold my breath getting Ship Simulator to run under that configuration if I were you.

That's not to say it won't work, just that I'm not aware of anyone running it that way without problems. (Could be millions, who never need to post here because it works so well!).

Worth doing the research I think.

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 19:04:35 »

Hello again,
     Boot Camp on a Mac isn't a software emulation of Windows, it is a true installation of Windows just like any other computer. The hard drive is partitioned and Windows is installed on the partition, and you can't access windows from the Mac side of the partition, you have to restart the computer into Windows. Once Windows is installed you insert the OSX Leopard disc that came with the Mac (or you bought to upgrade) and install the drivers for the Mac computer into Windows. And there you have it! A full blown Windows and OSX computer :D.
                                                                                                            Hope this helps,
                                                                                                                             Jake
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 19:42:47 »

So it's just a boot partition manager, then?

In that case, it should be OK.

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 20:31:35 »

You got it Terry,
    All Boot Camp does is make the process easier for non-IT managers to install Windows on a Mac :).
                                                                                                     Best Wishes,
                                                                                                             Jake
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 21:00:19 »

One word of caution is that I know that one or two members have had problems with Linux dual-booting systems due to the nature of the Linux Boot Manager.

If you should get any problems and ned any help, be sure you remind us that you're using Boot Camp. Thanks!

Fingers crossed!

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:34 »

Depending on what you were using the computer for I say even a iMac, I have an iMac 2.8ghz 24'', it takes up next to no room, and it's specs are decent.

TerryRussell

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 17:08:03 »

Depending on what you were using the computer for I say even a iMac, I have an iMac 2.8ghz 24'', it takes up next to no room, and it's specs are decent.

Hi Captain Kool.

How many people have got Ship SImulator running on that? I've not heard of anyone. Have you?

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 09:09:54 »

Hi Captain Kool.

How many people have got Ship SImulator running on that? I've not heard of anyone. Have you?

The specs [24'', 2.8ghz iMac] surpass the recommended specs on the SS box
[XP or VISTA].
2.8ghz processor
2Gb RAM
ATI HD 2600 PRO 256mb graphics card, with option of NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512mb card.

''FirstGroup'' said he runs a Mac under bootcamp with ATI XT 1600 256mb on full settings [Which is an older card].

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 09:11:40 by Captain Kool »

TerryRussell

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:22 »

But it isn't an "IBM" PC. It's a Mac.  ;)

Don't be surprised if there are problems. The hardware architectures are not the same.

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 09:50:20 »

But it isn't an "IBM" PC. It's a Mac.  ;)

Don't be surprised if there are problems. The hardware architectures are not the same.

Natively running Windows on a Mac is faster than running it on an IBM, I don't see how if you are running windows natively it could reduce performance.

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 10:45:14 »

Natively running Windows on a Mac is faster than running it on an IBM, I don't see how if you are running windows natively it could reduce performance.

Where do you get your data from to claim that running Windows on a MAC is faster than on a standard PC?

And where do you get that running it natively will reduce performance? Where did you read that?

Running it "natively" would be running Windows on a system formatted for that one Operating System, e.g. Vista or XP etc. Any boot managers or emulators being involved mean that it is NOT being run natively as there is a low-level translation taking place. Inevitably, there will be a problem as a result.

If someone runs Ship Simulator under those conditions, they can't blame anyone else if/when they have problems.

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 11:04:17 »

Where do you get your data from to claim that running Windows on a MAC is faster than on a standard PC?

And where do you get that running it natively will reduce performance? Where did you read that?

Running it "natively" would be running Windows on a system formatted for that one Operating System, e.g. Vista or XP etc. Any boot managers or emulators being involved mean that it is NOT being run natively as there is a low-level translation taking place. Inevitably, there will be a problem as a result.

If someone runs Ship Simulator under those conditions, they can't blame anyone else if/when they have problems.

Sorry. I think I wrote something unclear, I wasn't saying running it natively would REDUCE performance... I was saying it IS native so it WOULDN'T :p

I might have to pick a copy up, or download the demo and see how it goes?

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 12:27:08 »

I just downloaded the official demo, and played it on my iMac via windows vista premium [bootcamp].

It took around 30 seconds to install. I was amazed!

I opened the game and the questviewer took also about 15 seconds [if that maybe 10].

I went into the mission, and it took about 5-10 seconds to load.

I then opened the settings and changed the resolution to 1900 x 1200 [Highest option]. In the right panel I set everything to its highest, and toggled all the boxes to on.

The game runs perfectly. I did some tests to try and out-perform it and make frame-rate slow up but it still kept very solid frame rate - I went out of the harbour into the rain, and out to sea - frame-rate barely dropped.

I was amazed. Then I put it to a final test with windowed view on. and still great performance.

Is there a way to see how many frames I am getting? Like a frame counter?

Cheers

Goldens2

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 17:54:59 »

Okay then,
     I'll try my best to explain Boot Camp. I've included a video explaining How to set up Boot Camp and what it is, and the Boot Camp Manual from Apple. Also included is this link: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/. That will take you to the Apple Boot Camp support website.
                                                                                                     Hope this helps to explain things,
                                                                                                                                               Jake

Oops :o, looks like the Video is too big, here's the link to it: http://www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-32561.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 17:59:42 by Goldens2 »
                 ~Wayne Gretzky

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 04:54:49 »

As long as the specs on your PC match, or beat the specs of the mac you're buying it will be no problem :]

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:30 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines