Hello Guest September 21, 2024, 17:58:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I have problems with my titanic??!!  (Read 4211 times)

firestar12

I have problems with my titanic??!!
« on: July 11, 2008, 16:39:22 »

Hello, I have been having some issues with my titanic >:(, (Amost everthing is missing including funnels, most of the mooring cillinder-like thingys, and the promanade deck's covering) I will provide a Picture later, as the computer i am posting this on is not my Ship-Simulator 2008 computer. I really hope you guys can help me.

P.S. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF A GRAPHICS CARD I HAVE!!. And also, if this helps, I have Version 1.4.2 Please help me, and im not sure if computers come with a graphics card, so if it is because of my graphics card me needing a new one, let me know if i can get one for a cheap price, as I am not interested into spend $20= dollors on a graphics card. And tell me where on my computer to put it

The Captain

• Forum member
Re: I have problems with my titanic??!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 17:32:26 »

Well, It might help to see what kind of graphics card you have ;D. To check, click on:

Start
My computer
view system information.

All the information about your computer should be there, including how much ram you have too ;).

As for where to get one under 20 dollars, I would advise looking for the first video card ever ;D. However, there are some good deals at this site:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=38&name=Video-Cards-Video-Devices

Also, make sure you know what video card your computer can handle. You can't just put a really good video card into any computer. It doesent work like that :-\.

I really don't know where a video card goes into a computer and I dont think it is describable :(.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 18:49:36 »

#1 - All computers have a graphics card or your monitor would not plug into anything.

#2 - Your graphics card goes inside of your computer usually near the rear of the machine. But different graphics cards have different ports and you may need to see what kind of port your computer has. Graphics cards will NEVER be under $20, usually mid to high $100's.

Do NOT play with the inside of your computer unless you know what you are doing or understand you COULD break it.

#3 -

Please supply your system specifications or dxdiag, this may help us to determine the problem.

Your dxdiag can be obtained by following these instructions:

Click Start > Run. type in dxdiag and press Enter.  You may see a popup asking about WHQL drivers, click Yes/Ok to proceed.

In the window that appears, click the button that says Save All Information, when the Save Dialog box appears, save the file to your desktop.  To upload the file here, click Additional Options underneath the reply area and choose Browse near Attach.  Browse to your desktop, click the file and click Open.

*  Windows Vista users need to press the Windows Key + R to access the Run prompt.

You can then post your reply with the file attached.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 18:52:55 by Agent|Austin »

TerryRussell

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 19:25:20 »

Good evening (or afternoon/morning in the USA).

Can I just say that with firestar's stated lack of experience, opening your PC would be very dangerous. Do not try it!

A|A, I'm sure you already suspect what I do about this.  ;)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 19:27:46 »

Good evening (or afternoon/morning in the USA).

Can I just say that with firestar's stated lack of experience, opening your PC would be very dangerous. Do not try it!

A|A, I'm sure you already suspect what I do about this.  ;)

Graphics card? Graphics Drivers? Graphics something?

Oh also -

Do NOT play with the inside of your computer unless you know what you are doing or understand you COULD break it.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 20:42:54 »

yes other people have had this problem and it is low pc specs

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 21:07:38 »

Graphics card? Graphics Drivers? Graphics something?

Plus RAM (amount) and/or CPU speed.

DO NOT OPEN YOUR PC AND STICK YOUR FINGERS INSIDE! YOU MAY DIE
(Same with any other part of your body inside any electrical equipment!)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 21:10:40 »

there is a simple way to test your pc is working [deleted] :D

Paul, that was a really dangerous thing you suggested. I REALLY would never want to see you suggest anything like that again! - Terry
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 21:17:35 by TerryRussell »

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 21:25:44 »

sorry i'm in one of those funny moods

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 21:39:58 »

But these would only affect frame rate and quality, I don't think they would create graphical issues.

TerryRussell

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 22:10:04 »

Funnily enough, that was what another member was trying to argue with me (no! I mean discus) recently.

But it's wrong. CPU speed does far more than give jerky images. Ditto the RAM.

Tecchie session coming up. Look away if you are easily bored....

When SS08 creates an image, it doesn't draw a picture. What it does is to send a set of instructions to the Windows video sub system. That uses the video drivers and a load of other gubbins to produce the set of instructions to the card which tells it how to draw the image, item by item on a layered basis.

So it takes a finite amount of time to send all of the instructions on how to draw each image (each "frame"). If, in the meanwhile, the card receives the "draw that picture NOW" instruction - dictated by the refresh rate - it will draw whatever it has produced so far. Anything it hasn't drawn is dropped. That's why low-spec systems loose details and parts of Titanic etc (or the entire thing).

If it hasn't drawn enough of the image, the card may simply repeat the last good frame - hence low FPS or jerky images, while the same one gets repeated.

More RAM means that Windows can write it directly to memory without moving other stuff out of the way. So less RAM means that Windows is distracted from the task in hand. So details go missing and you may get jerky images, etc.

A slower CPU will cause exactly the same effects.

On the other hand, a Video card which is below spec can fail to accept the instructions from Windows fast enough. Same thing - missing frames, details missing etc. Some older cards may not be able to carry out the instructions that it receives ("Shader" problems are common with SS08 updates. Some older cards can't understand those instructions). In this case, whole segments may be missing, or odd textures may appear (like a white sea or lattice-work waves and so on).

Similarly, the video driver may not be optimised to rapidly process and convert the instructions from the video sub system. Or may not be able to process certain instructions. Same things as before, i.e. missing details, jerky images and so on.

5 minute guide completed. Hope it's of some use.

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 22:13:04 »

Long Quote

Windows sounds like my brother.  ::) Always distracted, always requires something.

Anyway thanks for the explanation I understand now.

TerryRussell

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 22:25:59 »

I expect you to get high scores in the IT exams, now!

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 22:29:51 »

I expect you to get high scores in the IT exams, now!
I passed my tech class (I was a teachers assistant) (All I really did was run assemblies and other stuff for the school)

Back to topic now...

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 22:32:04 »

lucky i never did it at school did business and tourism

firestar12

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 22:43:20 »

My Graphics card is an Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 21:55:28 »

Hi firestar12,
The graphics controller that you have shown us is an onboard chipset, (and so probably not suitable for SS08/NH), if you give us the details as quoted below then maybe one of the 'Technical Moderators' would be able to help you, (although most graphics cards are a bit more than $20).

Please supply your system specifications or dxdiag, this may help us to determine the problem.

Your dxdiag can be obtained by following these instructions:

Click Start > Run. type in dxdiag and press Enter.  You may see a popup asking about WHQL drivers, click Yes/Ok to proceed.

In the window that appears, click the button that says Save All Information, when the Save Dialog box appears, save the file to your desktop.  To upload the file here, click Additional Options underneath the reply area and choose Browse near Attach.  Browse to your desktop, click the file and click Open.

*  Windows Vista users need to press the Windows Key + R to access the Run prompt.

You can then post your reply with the file attached.
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

firestar12

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 21:56:20 »

How would this graphics card do: ZOGIS ZO86GT-E GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card. Would that do good at all?? please respond

TerryRussell

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 22:41:38 »

Hi firestar12.

Without your system details I can't really say, but the 8600 cards are pretty good. 8800GTX is superb but costs more. I have 8600 cards on my other system and that gives excellent results. But it has lots of memory and a fast quad processor and so on. A good card in a sub-spec PC won't be any more than a waste of money.

firestar12

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 00:07:58 »

does the 8600 Card give alot less lag? Because that would be great, my computer is fairly new, (December)

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 00:40:17 »

does the 8600 Card give alot less lag? Because that would be great, my computer is fairly new, (December)
It could, but your processor, and RAM are probably the cause of lag.

And just because your computer is new does not mean your computer is super duper at gaming.

Dave M

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 00:46:23 »

How would anyone know?

Without your dxdiag it is hard to find out.

Here is my dxdiag, it only shows my system specs., nothing more. It would help us to help you.

Regards, Dave
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

firestar12

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 17:59:32 »

Im getting that graphcs card.  :) My brother said he could put it in for me. He goes to RPI tech. :P

TerryRussell

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 22:26:57 »

I really hope that the rest of your PC is up to spec. Otherwise you could be wasting your money. Without the DXdiag it isn't possible to say.

Fingers crossed.

mvsmith

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 23:22:02 »

Im getting that graphcs card.  :) My brother said he could put it in for me. He goes to RPI tech. :P
“RPI Tech” is redundant—Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute already has a “tech” in it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines